Graphics expert question

How long did it take for you to learn Linear Algebra? I'm asking because I'm going to probrably be learning it soon.
Last edited on
2 years at the university.
How long does it take (and effort) for it to be as easy as if you are writing code or a sentence?
took me a couple of days practice to do fun 2d useful game things, this tutorial helped me a lot, I got a missile to chace me around by sussing out what angle it was in relation to the player, thats all pretty easy, and if you remember road rash or lotus turbo challenge on the amiga then they got an explanation on how they did those graphics too!! fun fun fun
http://www.helixsoft.nl/articles/circle/sincos.htm/
If you are going to use only elements of Linear Algebra which have application in computer graphics, I think half a year of dedicated study and practice will be enough to actually know most things to use it if you good at math. It is not hard as other math fields are. I find it actually fun to learn.
devonrevenge wrote:
took me a couple of days practice to do fun 2d useful game things
How will you write algorithm for rotation of 2D raster image on arbitrary angle?
with help from a library -_-

I found that just adding an angle to y = length*sin(theta) and the same for x where length is the distance from the object i want to draw from managed to draw an image that moved in a circle around my character when i pushed the keys, do you remember the first grand theft autos? the top down ones? it works just like that
devonrevenge wrote:
with help from a library -_-
Can you suggest library which works on 3,5MHz CPU with 128kb of RAM?

devonrevenge wrote:
I found that just adding an angle to y = length*sin(theta) and the same for x where length is the distance from the object i want to draw from managed to draw an image that moved in a circle around my character when i pushed the keys
You have found out polar coordinates. Congratulations.
You have found out polar coordinates. Congratulations.
XD

I know right!

Can you suggest library which works on 3,5MHz CPU with 128kb of RAM?

SDLs libraries
devonrevenge wrote:
SDLs libraries
Nope. It reqires more than that. And it would work really slow here if it was avaliable for platform.
Last edited on
How will you write algorithm for rotation of 2D raster image on arbitrary angle?

oh you mean convert an image into data, add rotation maths and then decode it back into an image?

I was talking more like using geometry for games but i can see it says graphics expert question, hey is this the sort of lernins you need to make photoshop filters?

I was hardly any help but i can imagine gcse or slightly higher linear algebra is going to be needed for opengl type graphics
Last edited on
devonrevenge wrote:
I was talking more like using geometry for games
You need to rotate several different obects as a whole around arbitrary point line. And you need to do it fast.
Last edited on
I highly suggest using this free site just because it helped me a lot:
http://scratchapixel.com/lessons/3d-basic-lessons/lesson-4-geometry/

It applies all the linear algebra directly to graphic stuff. e.g. how to create a rotation matrix.

Although if you want to do this professionally, it wouldn't hurt to take a class on it.
MiiNiPaa wrote:
You need to rotate several different obects as a whole around arbitrary point line. And you need to do it fast.

I tip my head on its side?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.