Pokedex & Mobile face recognition app

Hi folks, new to the programming scene and I am a noob. I have been doing a lot of reading and not enough programming in my first month at this, so please excuse me if I sound like I'm dreaming. I am just starting C++ so sorry if I sound niave.

I've had this thought of making a real world pokedex a few years back, but never realizing that it may be possible until I started really diving into programming.

Here's my thoughts, and feel free to comment/bash/laugh or giggle (whatever works for you). I will just list some of my inital thoughts on the subject and i don't claim the idea because some manga artist had it first. Also was wondering if any group out there would be interested in taking on the task. It can lead to a great product=money (look, money was assigned to product!). that was my attempt at a programming joke.

Alright, lets get started.

Platform would be mobile devices with high def camera/ large mega pixel combination device. Of course phones and tablets do not currently have these things. But my current solution would be using an external camera or a device that can be attached to a mobile device. You can see where a high def camera and large mega pixel camera would be needed for this and will not get into it.

I've noticed that many camcorders these days have face recognition squares. Not to recognize someone but it locks on the faces of indivduals in a shoot. This was a stepping stone idea that could can be improved for the face recognition portion of the application. A touch creen device will allow the user to speciify the item being researched/inquired about. Much like face recognition, the image will be compared to specific points of an object/item with a library of different angles and points regardless of the image position. This also calls for feed back and improvements that can take place in a short period of time if an item is not on file.

This application can be used by law enforcement for people who claim not to have ID or have a record. Basically it can go many ways. But the most important part is that it will increase knowledge of users. Many people use technical devices but do not understand how they work, and this is no exception.
This of course has to be an open source for exponential progress. A Japanese university has the same idea but they seem to be cramming too much technicalities into their project, or keeping it in closed doors to profit from the final product.

The main part I guess would be developing a tool that can link current web use to speeding up search time and make it more specific with your own image for results.

I figured someone or a group can beat them to the punch for free. Of course what will be marketable will be the camera attachment and eventually devices that have these options.

Captured images will be cross referenced with a library/server that will hold all shared entrees. In the beginning, a few matches will populate and the user can select what they were looking for. To make everything easier, the image will link to wikipedia or into a web search of that item/thing/animal/part. Half the battle is done this way. Also the originating group will have to maintain the information being received and what is exceptable or not. User accounts can be established for credible entrees. This would lead to web site/search engine/ web browser (lets challenge everyone else!).

(if you have read up to here, thank you. lol)

That's the general idea in a nutshell. Reality may not be as ideal but that's why we dream.

I tire of dreaming and just being an idea person. We all hate people talking about ideas but never acting on it. I hope to increase my knowledge to multiple languages see if this intergration will be possible. thanks for reading.

P.S.

Anyone interested in making a dragonball z scouter application that integrates visuals ( like the power up effects) and sound/decipal readings. The louder the person and the longer they yell, the higher their power goes up. (It's over 10,000!!!!). Just another fun idea. Also saying power moves would cause power effects.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I think I'm going to need siege weapons to get past this wall.

I wonder, would this be an app or an actual device?

It's certainly possible, but I'd take a hella long time to complete.

BTW you shouldn't post ideas on an PUBLIC internet forum.
I don't know about the first part, but:

Anyone interested in making a dragonball z scouter application that integrates visuals ( like the power up effects) and sound/decipal readings. The louder the person and the longer they yell, the higher their power goes up. (It's over 10,000!!!!). Just another fun idea. Also saying power moves would cause power effects.

This would be the best use of your time.
^What I was mainly thinking.
I think it's a really cool idea, and has so many more applications than you mentioned. Implementing it could get tricky, but may end up being worth it. I'm sure you get could get it to work with the cameras built into most phones and tablets today, at least for personal use. That would probably be a big seller for most average users. Having an external camera is just awkward.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Fredbill there is billions of people in the world it doesn't really matter if you share your idea's on the internet because chances are that multiple people have already thought of it. Thinking up a idea is not the hard part that stops everyone. Implementing that idea is.
Wise words. I wonder why the OP didn't reply to this yet though.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.