Firefox Keeps Crashing

Pages: 1234
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I don't care about games. I just don't like Linux.

Captain there was no need to call windows that. You're a newbie.

The only reason Windows has many viruses is because it dominates the market.

I'm sure I'd be far easier to make a virus for Ubuntu. After all, it IS open source.

If you call windows sh*t, Linux is the same, or even worse. Another thing is, Linux is too damned hard to install in a VM.

Windows isn't for newbies...
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
guys there is no end all operating system. it depends on what you are doing

(except for my still imaginary completely-made-from-brainf*** operating system: that is going to be amazing)
I wonder... is brain f*ck fast?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Umm captain linux is not for everyone and just because someone doesn't use linux doesn't mean they are not good with computers. And if you believe you are somehow safe from viruses because you run linux you are kidding yourself.

People have different preferences not everyone likes what you like and just because you like it doesn't mean it is the best in the world.

So how but we stop this pointless linux vs windows holy war ; p

EDIT: is it just me or have we been invaded by young children on this forum?
Last edited on
it would be difficult to test internally
He's the young child. He was born the year after mine. In September I'm gonna be an 8th grader and I'll be the big kids in my school.

Then I'll bully the likes of him >:)
Last edited on by Fredbill30
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I seriously hope you are kidding. Being a bully is not cool, at all, ever.

EDIT: Zereo, it's not just you. I don't do much C++ dev anymore because of a change in career (I'm a Rails dev now), but stuck around mostly for the community, but now....it's a test in patience more than anything.
Last edited on
I seriously hope you are kidding.

Answer that for yourself.

[removed after realizing the amount of trouble this would bring]
Ohh my arch enemy I'm looking to go into django development ; p though I do love rails also just have more experience with python.
closed account (iw0XoG1T)
@zero I've never met anyone who got virus on a Linux machine.

this is what I found on Wikipedia -- and quick glance at the references to this article makes me think it is mostly bull.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

Have you ever met anyone using a Linux machine that got a virus?

it very difficult to get a virus on any machine unless you are one of those morons who clicks on every shiny thing that appears on their computer. And if you are one of those people there is really nothing that can help.
Last edited on
[sarcasm]hey i needed more ram and the download ad was right there[/sarcasm]

and its not bull. you can write a virus for any os. the difference is people who arent the best with computers usually default to windows (im not saying everyone on windows is stupid just that its the easiest to learn for people new to pcs) and dont know that you cant download ram
@DTSCode --write me a virus -- and I'll put it on my machine.

I am saying this because I don't think you can write a program that can execute on my machine if I don't give it permission.
Last edited on
you misunderstood me. obviously you have to run that. you have do that for windows to. the linux community just usually knows what to look for. so i could write one for mac linux and windows. it just depends on if your stupid enough to click it. stupid is harsh but any virus i write would be pretty see through
Well you could just make an app that takes up all your ram.

With VC++ you can disable the console and It'll run in the backround, slowly taking up your ram.

Once I make your PC laggy enough, I'd send it over the internet through your email to your contacts.

Then, when I'm done, bye bye system32.
I'd rather upload your personal files to my own server, that way I can look for some personal information or passwords. That's where the real fun is. Pure, mindless, vandalism like that is for amateurs.
I am saying this because I don't think you can write a program that can execute on my machine if I don't give it permission.

Linux is not immune to viruses (Broad term) as many might believe. Yes is a considerable amount harder to infect a linux machine mainly because of their security model and because most viruses are designed for windows. But that doesn't mean you don't have to worry about them.

For example Linux isn't immune to URL spoofing. Spoofing is where a malicious address that is hiding itself as safe address. Like this forum or as bank website or whatever. Having a linux machine is not going to stop you from entering in your bank account information on a website that seems exactly like the real one.

You have to realize most "viruses" these days rely on the human weekness more so then getting around a machines defenses.

Another example is have you ever downloaded linux software that is not from your distributions official channels you could be at risk of getting a virus. There have been viruses made to infect Linux machines before like one that took advantage of both GNOME and KDE launchers.

And finally the most dangerous virus for linux is root kits. These usually target servers but client computers are still at risk specially linux machines that run a static ip without a firewall.

The point I was trying to make is just because you are running a Linux Distro doesn't mean you can do whatever you want and not have to worry about getting infected with a virus, root kit, trojan, or whatever. You still have to be cautious.
Last edited on
thank you zereo
The easiest way to get people to run malicious code on their *nix machines is to hide them in shell commands:

http://thejh.net/misc/website-terminal-copy-paste
@zero

do you know anyone on a Linux machine who had a virus and gave it to another machine?

There is no broad term for virus--and spoofing is not a virus on your machine.

Really, do you not know what a virus is?
Really, do you not know what a virus is?

I am sorry maybe I should have said malware. My bad for the wrong term. But that is besides the point we weren't discussing viruses in general we were talking about infecting linux machines with malware.

I would also ask if you could reframe from the condescending tone please ;).

do you know anyone on a Linux machine who had a virus and gave it to another machine?

I do, I have seen viruses, trojans, rootkits and others spread from one linux machine to another linux machine.

There is no broad term for virus--and spoofing is not a virus on your machine.

That is all just semantics you knew what I mean. And again we were talking about malware infecting linux in general.

But anyways obviously you aren't open to other views so we can just agree to disagree.
Last edited on
Pages: 1234