Looking for a partner for a shmup game

closed account (3qX21hU5)
So recently I have been working on a 2D vertical shmup game in C++ and SFML with a buddy of mine. The project isn't nothing real serious I started it because after 3 or 4 mini games I finally wanted to see if I could create a fully featured game that people might enjoy playing. But unfortunately some things came up with my buddy's personal life and he won't be able to commit to the project anymore.

So was looking for someone else looking to do a nice learning project and maybe release a nice little game for people to play.

I have completed most of the basic framework for the game already and am just about ready to start on the actual game play mechanics.

Here is a short video that shows what has been completed on the game so far http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3lef1WOIno .

It's nothing special right now and still has a lot of work and polishing but it's getting there. Also all the graphics are just placeholders from the internet.

As I said above most of the basic framework is done like Entity Management, Collision detection, Different states and state management, Event Handling System, Resource Manager, Shader Support (1 Shader implemented), very basic GUI management, dynamic key bindings, basic particle system, animation, Music and Sound Effects(<-About half done) ect.

There is a few bugs to work out in the framework and a few things to implement still like sounds but otherwise most of the work will be polishing, improving performance and creating game play.

So if you are looking for a project to work on I would be glad to have someone to work with. All I ask is a few things.

One is that you be willing to commit to the project. I don't really mind how much time you have to put into it since I don't really have a deadline and have just been working on it for fun, but I have to know that you won't drop out halfway through the development. So to sum it up I don't mind if you have only a few hours a week to work on it I just need to know you won't bail out on the project.

Two is that you be familiar with C++ and SFML (Also preferably C++11). You don't need to know everything about SFML but I would prefer if you at least understand how it or similar libraries work.

That is about it, though if you have artistic abilities for creating sprites and graphics that would be a great bonus ;p.

Anyways if anyone is interested in joining this little learning project of mine just shoot me a pm or post on here. And if you want more information or want to check out the code just let me know.
Well, I can't join as I have a hectic personal life. I just wanted to say, that is a great game. The only thing that I did laugh about, not in a bad way, was when the background ended, I just thought "OMG! He played so long the ship reached the end of the universe!". Looks great so far.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I am also to busy with school and my projects to join, but this does cool. I remember you saying something about this earlier.
I just need to know you won't bail out on the project.

I am terribly sorry if you are referring to me. Although I have not been in contact with you for a very long time, I have been improving the collision detection system (Albeit very slowly). I have recently been accepted into my countries nationals in informatics and so have been practicing a lot for that. Once again sorry I am terribly sorry.
Script Coder wrote:
I am terribly sorry if you are referring to me. Although I have not been in contact with you for a very long time, I have been improving the collision detection system (Albeit very slowly). I have recently been accepted into my countries nationals in informatics and so have been practicing a lot for that. Once again sorry I am terribly sorry.

Oh no I really didn't mean you it was just a generalized comment not meant towards anyone. And anyways I haven't worked on that project one bit either so it is not a big deal ;p have been spending most of my coding time on this project.

So there is no need to apologize or feel bad about it.

@BHX and retsgorf

Thanks for the feedback guys, and I knew I should have made the scrolling background longer ;p
Last edited on
So there is no need to apologize or feel bad about it.

No harm done :)
Hey I don't have time either. Just thought you would like to know. :)

But I did want to say that your game looks good. But what do you mean by you are only done with the framework? The thing looked damn near finished to me!
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
If you set it up as open source or something closed but we still have access :? I could just help create some stuff in my own time and put it up for a commit.
Manga wrote:
But what do you mean by you are only done with the framework? The thing looked damn near finished to me!

It is quite a long ways from finished. By framework I mean all the basics you need to get a working game of this type up and running and start creating the unique levels, ships, bullet patterns, movement patterns, ect.

It doesn't look to bad right now I admit and would be almost finished for a demo game which you can put into a portfolio or something but I hoping to go for a full featured game release with arcade mode, survival mode, and stuff like that.

Basically here are my goals for what I want to complete so far.

~ Start creating the game play. Probably will start with a survival mode which randomly spawns enemies.

~ Get a arcade mode up and running with around 5-10 different levels each with a unique boss fight at the end.

~ After all that is done do some profiling to find the performance choke points and optimize them out. Probably the the 10% slowest code and optimize it.

~ After all that should have enough work done to get a artist or two on board to create some customized graphics for the game.

~ Then while the artists are working on the graphics can start polishing the features in the game and implement networking and a online scoreboard and maybe online multiplayer (Though not sure how it would work with a shooter game).

Now of course them are very board goals but it gives a idea of how much work is still left.

xerzi wrote:
If you set it up as open source or something closed but we still have access :? I could just help create some stuff in my own time and put it up for a commit.

I am still kind of debating whether or not to open source it. Right now I am probably going to keep it closed sourced though in the future might open it up.

Though I do have a github repo for it. So if you are interested in contributing just let me know and I can give you access to it (Would just need your github account name) to check out the code then we can talk further about it.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Though I do have a github repo for it. So if you are interested in contributing just let me know and I can give you access to it (Would just need your github account name) to check out the code then we can talk further about it.
Well in that case everyone could make a github account and see your code.

Or, someone would just leak it, and it'd just be open source.
You don't need an account to view projects.

The repo is likely private.
Correct it is a private repo where only people with access can view it. Also I trust xerzi's won't release the code though even if someone did release the code it wouldn't be that big of deal. Its not like this is a AAA game that is going to make millions and most of tge code and techniques used are quite common in game development and software development in general.
Well in that case....

*cracks into code*
*edits code; adding comment: Kicking trolls is fun*
*publishes code publicly*
*walks away whistling*

I can't whistle to save my life..or crack anything for that matter.

Someone who would do that needs to find a better use of their time.
Manga wrote:
Someone who would do that needs to find a better use of their time.

Anonymous? A game dev like anonymous would do just that to cause a stir and think they are effecting change.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well actually that wouldn't take much time.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.