Teens, read this

Pages: 12
Hey all, I would like to get a team of teens (10 - 16 y.o.) who knows decent programming skills.

Why?

For fun. Strictly voluntary

Thank you. Contact me at rakafattah@yahoo.com or send me a friend request on Skype (rakafattah) if you would like to join this project.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
What is going to be made in this?
This isn't an employment opportunity, this is an (undefined, poorly presented) opportunity for group development, restricted to an arbitrary age range for the sake of proving a point to... who now?

All the adults in the whole wide world?

Just the ones who stereotype teenagers as immature?

The lack of payment and the personal nature of this project means it belongs in the beginners section, or the lounge, if anywhere at all.

The fact that you aren't specifying what kind of software you are developing, and your (frankly unprofessional) rant featuring such catchphrases as "we can do a whole lot more than that shit" will make people hesitant to join, and it goes against the very point you're trying to prove (wisdom in spite of age).

Rephrase. Specify. Repost in the proper section.

One last thing. The time required to accumulate a sufficient knowledge of software development takes years. Any serious individual undertaking it as a career choice will likely be an adult by the time they know enough to get hired.

I'm 21, and the primary thing I know is that I know (relatively) nothing compared to the whole body of human knowledge on this subject. Most of wisdom is recognizing how little you know.

The few prodigies start young, at the behest of their parents usually, who are fully aware what children and teenagers are capable of.
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
why was he reported? for posting an opinion that doesnt agree with your own? i would like to agree with the whole years thing. im three years into programming and i can barely write my compiler. and the only reason i can kind of do it now is because that has been my main goal since i started programming and have been learning techniques towards that. i thought to myself the other day that it will probably take upwards of 15 years until i get to the skill level i want to be at
@NullInfinity

Sorry for the person who reported your, I respect you opinion and I actually meant to post it into the lounge forum but I forgot to recheck what I pressed on the drop-down list.

You also seem to be underestimating what a group of 10-15 year olds can do. Don't get me wrong here but I don't think many 10 year olds has made a decent virus scanner which I have. I just want the majority of the adults there to think that teens can do more than beg for a PS3
Last edited on
You can actually edit the post and move it to a different section. Also correct me if I am wrong but isn't a teen 13-19?
NullInfinity wrote:
shit

Your post had me going right up until here.

Fred wrote:
What is going to be made in this?

You still have not answered this.

DTSCode wrote:
why was he reported?

Why was who reported?
http://snag.gy/HdUu7.jpg

Code Apperentice wrote:
Don't get me wrong here but I don't think many 10 year olds has made a decent virus scanner which I have.

Sounds interesting, have you released the code?

giblit wrote:
Also correct me if I am wrong but isn't a teen 13-19?

One cannot correct what is not incorrect.
Last edited on
Code Apperentice wrote:
I just want the majority of the adults there to think that teens can do more than beg for a PS3
I feel like this is just ridden with availability bias. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure the large portion of adults already know and appreciate the potential of their children/other children. You'll certainly take some shit for begging for a PS3 (which might be what you're pulling your evidence from), but nobody is arguing that that's the only thing you're capable of. We already know that, so there's nothing to prove really.

Although I am all for starting a group and having a nice team project that's both fun and fulfilling. You're trying to prove something that doesn't need to be proved, though; your purpose is misguided, but your intentions are good.
Last edited on
Usually those who tell kids they are spoiled and can't do anything are people 1-2 years older than them... that's what I noticed anyway.
Stop arguing about this matter please, if you want to join just join if you want to, I don't want this to be my last thread I posted...

Another reason I posted this post:

Me: Goes on the computer, does something

My parents: Are you playing Minecraft?

I'm sick of that question, I didn't even play the game for the past month.
Then my friend also:

Friend: Does some C#

Friend's mom: YOURE PLAYING

Friend: No I am not

Friend's mom: We'll it has coloured text so it's a game

Friend: That's syntax highlighting

Get my point?
Script Coder,
I have lost the source code about 1 year ago, but it was made in VB and it was a simple one, which you had to update the database by yourself.

What is going to be made?
Participants wile pose ideas and we will vote on the best possible and logical one.

Who was reported?
NullInfinity was

Yes, I know what you mean by teens with the suffix
I actually lost the code 3 months ago because my old laptop's hard disk broke and all my great work destroyed
... Can you answer my first post?
What is going to be made?
Participants wile pose ideas and we will vote on the best possible and logical one.

Also he still needs to edit the [first] post and move to lounge.
Oh, I skimmed right over that. Anyway, I was thinking some sort of virus or something.
Why exactly would a bunch of kids want to make a virus? What kind of point does that prove.
that you can make a virus
break;
/recursive argument
giblit wrote:
Why exactly would a bunch of kids want to make a virus? What kind of point does that prove.

It does take quite a bit of skill and know-how to create a virus/worm and doing so successfully would prove this as well as give them a lot of experience.

There is nothing wrong with making nuclear weapons, so long as you don;t use them.

EDIT
DTSCode wrote:
break;
/recursive argument

Two things: firstly: I see what you did there, secondly: don't comments have double forward slash?
Last edited on
its not a comment. its something i picked up in the forums kind of like a </> tag. see below for better example

There is nothing wrong with making nuclear weapons, so long as you don;t use them.

and it makes an amazing book series
/frank herbert references
What does it signify, like an afterthought or explanation?
Pages: 12