Unreal Engine 4

So, I'm excited to say today that Unreal Engine 4 has been released under unprecedented terms (relatively speaking compared to Epic's history). You can have full access to the engine for a $19 subscription + 5% of gross royalties. I remember begging for a Linux UDK release but this is just so much more flexible a release, not to mention something that I can easily afford and play around with.

The entire source is actually hosted on a private github page: https://github.com/EpicGames

Thoughts?
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Do I have to pay the 19 dollars monthly?
Yes.
Nice! 5% gross royalties is actually quite low compared to other engines and the market price for game engines and $19 a month is pretty reasonable to.

Think I might actually have to try it out for a month to see if I like it. Wish they have a 1 month free trial ;p would be a great way to top off a great deal.
Last edited on
You can cancel the subscription at any time *supposedly*. At that point though, I'm starting to scratch my chin and looking out for fine print.
I just said screw it and purchased a subscription ;p From what I have heard and seen online Unreal Engine 4 seems like a amazing engine and quite easy to use supposedly. Love that they provide the full source code for the engine also :). If anything will pick up a thing or to hopefully from studying it.
Or you could modify it heavily and produce a better engine. Maybe I'll buy a subscription for a few months.

I'm not sure about the unreal engine, but the Source engine's code was kinda a mess... it's basically just C with classes. It's also terribly designed, and it shows its age.
Last edited on
Source 2 is supposedly where it's at!
Yea I got my hands on a leaked copy of the source engine's source code and it's terrible. I hope Source 2 is better.

It feels like a half-a'ed C++ port of the Quake engine that uses modern-ish apis.
Last edited on
That's because it's based on the Quake engine.
I'm well aware of that; just saying, it could have been designed better. I mean, it doesn't even use much OOP and uses outdated concepts. You can tell by the way each module was coded by individual coding styles (they're pretty much the same, but they have several noticeable differences).

I'm not sure about the most recent builds, but I know I don't like they way the build I have was coded.
Last edited on
@Fredbill

I see where you may be coming from, if you're going to use C++ then you should use C++ design style. Just know though that OOP isn't the only good paradigm out there.

Don't forget SDL is in pure C ;)
I really do like the way SDL and the Quake 1/2 engines are designed, because they aren't trying to be something the language isn't.(don't know how to word this properly...)

I'm just saying if you're going to use C++ don't make it C-ish, that just looks bad.

I mean some parts use good OOP concepts; others, not so good. I hope Source 2 does a better job.

Anyways, I do not want to derail this thread any more than it is, so I'm going to change the subject. Do you know the engine's minimum requirements? What it's capable of?
Last edited on
System recommendations (from Epic here: https://www.unrealengine.com/faq)

Desktop PC or Mac
Windows 7 64-bit or Mac OS X 10.9.2 or later
Quad-core Intel or AMD processor, 2.5 GHz or faster
NVIDIA GeForce 470 GTX or AMD Radeon 6870 HD series card or higher
8 GB RAM

You can find a list of games from Unreal Engine 4 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_4

Looking at some of those will show you its capabilities.

CryTek engine just released as well under a $10 subscription with no royalties. Unfortunately, there are no specific terms released yet.

Unreal Engine 4 has a set EULA that you must follow. Reading the UE4 EULA, you cannot freely distribute the source code for UE4 to everyone. The code must be kept private only too licensees, per the terms of redistribution. However, you may freely distribute to end-users in binary form (referred to in the EULA as Object Code).

While I'm not totally against that since most people who develop for a UE4 game will be a licensee anyways, I find it rather restricting towards the open-source community where people have a tendency to fix a specific issue with a game and then leave.

EDIT: Actually, I might be mistaken. If you create a project that depends on UE4, you can distribute and show the source of that project. You cannot, however, distribute any parts of the UE4 source. I was misinterpreting what was meant as "Engine Code" which is obvious to me now...
Last edited on
Hey guys, new to the board and c++.

I got UE4 in hopes of developing virtual realty stuffs.

I have a design background, however I am capable of making own apps in (classical) JS, learning a bit about how node.js works in the back-end as well as other modules.

I have also messed around in Unity and C#, and that seemed to be within my bounds of understanding/ability.

I'm gaining some good knowledge of high-level programming, for practical applications. My weakest parts are always the lower-level stuff and patterns.

Could someone please enlighten me either with some handy links or a few words, where is a good place to begin for me with c++ and UE4? They have Blueprints (ex-Kismet?), but to me this takes all the fun out of making a game. I enjoy laying out my classes, compartmentalizing everything and setting up events..

I'm mainly looking to understand some do's and dont's, some design patterns (eg. would winging it with some OO JS style of code be a terrible place to begin in C++?), specifically to do with game development and better yet UE4.

Thanks. I am furiously googling in the background and reading as much as I can, but a human guru can really cut down weeks of stumbling around a lot of the time...
Last edited on
(eg. would winging it with some OO JS style of code be a terrible place to begin in C++?)

Yes it would be terrible.

If you're really new to C++, I would definitely recommend to get a beginner C++ book and start working from there. "Winging it" is definitely not what you want to be doing if you want to make games. Making games is really difficult. There is also a tutorial on this site you can take a look through too. If you get stuck on anything C++, ask on this forum and you will usually get a swift and accurate answer.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.