USB...

my system has 3 usb ports
If I use buy usb extension and from one port i get 5 new usb ports will it affects data transfer and my system?Assume I attach 5 devices to one usb port at the same time
It will affect the performance. If you plug a 5 port USB hub into 1 port it will split the speed. If the normal speed is 480Mb[it]s (usb 2.0 I believe) it will now be ~96 per port.
Last edited on
so if it is so what is the best option I have to increase my usb ports?
If it splits the speed it is of no use
Yes i have 3 usb 2 ports which are slow I don't want to make them slower
Could you give a reference giblit? I don't think it works that way.

I was under the impressions that the speed (480Mb/s) would be shared amongst child ports, but it doesn't necessarily share them evenly. Bandwidth is allocated as it is used, meaning if you have a chain of 15 USB hubs, the last one is not going to have ridiculously small bandwidth. If there is only one device plugged anywhere into that system, it will still operate at full speed. If you have 255 mice plugged in, they'll all operate at full speed (because they don't need that much bandwidth). The only event where you'd probably notice a speed limit is when copying to multiple hard-drives at the same time.
doesn't necessarily share them evenly.

I never said they were shared evenly I was just estimating data rates if he was using all 5 at one time.

Could you give a reference
If you have one port that has a rate of 480 and you hook 10[devices] up to it you won't have 4,800 now. It will still be 480 but shared between them.

Oh and by the way there is a limit to the amount of current for the port. I believe it is ~500mA.
Last edited on
My old motherboard wont support usb3 pci express card
i have samsung n140 mini laptop
i think stewbond is correct,what he says looks more logical
Maybe u mean the same thing but not elaborated your reply
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.