• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Text editor with support for C++ feature

Text editor with support for C++ features

closed account (EwCjE3v7)
I would like a text editor for Linux that has, auto-fill(Like when you type in half the word it gives you seggestions). Good Syntax (Colour for different stuff i.e while if .size() etc)
Does anyone know one, I`m using Kate now but it dosnt have a great syntax.
Kate is excellent :o There are plugins you can get, as well, which add lots of nice features.

Sublime is a popular editor, with lots of features and plugins.

I personally just use gedit. Again, with plugins it's pretty solid.
closed account (z0My6Up4)
emacs
@Resident

Like what kind of plugins, examples of ones you have? Just installed Sublime, freakin awesome. Sweet personalisation as well as when you open the Terminal it auto save and you can compile without needing to save your file all the time (ctrl+s). Dont really like Kate.

@flint Emacs, I`ll try it out. Thank you
Last edited on
@YellowPyrmid Emacs is a text editor trying to be an OS. Try vim. It's a really good code editor with support for almost every language and plugins to make it into whatever you want.
@YellowPyrmid Emacs is a text editor trying to be an OS. Try vim. It's a really good code editor with support for almost every language and plugins to make it into whatever you want.

No it is not 'trying to be an OS'. gnu emacs has been around for a very long time. It is a text editor that I use all the time for c++. If you wish you can use emacs for whatever you want. Namely, compiling your code or opening a shell to test it. It has a very long list of features that you can use or choose not to.

Like I said I use it for editing C++ source files and it has all the features that you indicated you wanted: Syntax highlighting is set up automatically, though you have to do some simple configuration for auto-completion to work.
Last edited on
Emacs is a text editor trying to be an OS.
It is an OS which lacks a proper text editor.
Try vim and tell if you manage to exit without closing terminal window at first :)

Operating System
noun
the low-level software that supports a computer's basic functions, such as scheduling tasks and controlling peripherals.
[quote]

[quote]Emacs is a text editor trying to be an OS.
It is an OS which lacks a proper text editor.
Try vim and tell if you manage to exit without closing terminal window at first :)

You don't know what you are saying. :)

@YellowPyrmid emacs also has a built in psychiatrist!
Last edited on
*Sigh* It is a joke. Original version is: "The Emacs operating system needs a better editor". Another one: "Emacs can do everything aside from brewing coffee. And it would benefit from better text editor."

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=174109
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EmacsAsOperatingSystem
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Emacs

About Vim: "Vim have two modes: to beep and to mess up your text"
I was not sure if you were joking - good one :)

As most people know there has been a long standing rivalry between emacs and the original vi (now vim). Ultimately it of course a matter of personal taste which one, if any, to use. Both of these editors have steep learning curves but for simple editing & compiling your code you only need learn a few emacs commands.
Used vim for a short period because, I was having troubles setting up the startup settings. Now I use Sublime Text 2 and its cool. Can compile right from editor.

Aceix.
Sublime Text 2 is neither open source or free - which is quite important to me
@Aceix How do you compile from editor in sublime 2?
Say we're programming in C++, you should have a compatible C++ compiler installed such as g++, then under the "Tools->Build System" menu(in the menu bar), make sure either "Automatic" or "C++" is selected, then after coding, hit Ctrl+B to save and build, or Ctrl+Shift+B to save, build and run.
The problem I'm having is to compile with arguments, and run with input. Anyone?

Aceix.
As most have suggested, use Sublime Text. Its an awesome text editor :D.

Edit: Just a word change.
Last edited on
I love Sublime Text but I don't use it for C++ because it seams to be lacking in C++ features. I would be interested to hear peoples custom Sublime text settings, and use of plugins in order to suite C++ though.
NetBeans is a great IDE. It's written in Java, so you can use it no matter what OS you're using.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
(IMO)
NetBeans is to Linux as Visual Studio is to Windows. It just blows everything else out of the water in terms of intuitive design.

I'd definitely recommend checking out NetBeans if you're using Linux.

I would love to post a screenshot, but unfortunately, Linux is far too 'elite' to have print-screen functionality like Windows via the keyboard and I cannot sacrifice my whole day searching for a solution.

*Turns off Linux*
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.