Area 51 - The Frantic Caller

Pages: 1... 3456
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I'd classify the Holocaust as a major disaster, not 9/11. There's quite a difference between millions dying and 3,000.

Comparing 9/11 to the Holocaust is like saying a small cut on your forearm is as painful as losing it.

I don't know, maybe I'm just insensitive. (Legit problem)
Last edited on
3,000 innocent lives were lost. what was their crime you ask? capitalism. correct me if im wrong but thats why the towers were hit. its not just that it was an attack on 3000 (innocent) people. its that they tried to destroy our way of life, our culture
So the people who are being taken out of their homes and killed because of religious and other reasons are less important than those living in first world countries? Are they not innocent? Were the Jews and other minorities killed in the Holocaust not innocent? Did the Nazis not try to destroy their way of culture? Are the Koreans, which were invaded by Japan, (Who prevented them from practicing their culture) not innocent? They must not be; They aren't American/<insert other first world nationality>, they're foreigners. We don't care about them, we're superior.

Being American/<insert other first world nationality> doesn't make you any more human than others.
Last edited on
i dont think i ever said it was less important. i still take a moment of silence every year the jews were freed from Aushwitz for the ones that didnt make it out. elie wezels night book brought me to tears. just because other bad things happen does that mean that we cant feel remorseful or strongly about something that affected us strongly? because of the holocaust should we not remember columbine and dishonor all of those families? should i not feel sad about my grandfathers death since worse things have happened?
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that people who live in first world countries need to stop acting like selfish assholes (Disclaimer: Not calling anyone an asshole) and they need to actually think about others. A majority act like they're the only people in the world and treat others like animals.
Last edited on
im sorry but that just isnt true (well maybe in New York but not everywhere). i donated a hard earned quarter collection when i was twelve to hurricane katrina, even though it didnt affect me at all
Hurricane Katrina hit the United States.
on the other side of the united states. complete other side. i also helped with haiti, if you need something outside the us
@Fredbill
No one said that any events were less important than 9/11. On the other hand, you arguing that 9/11 isn't a disaster can be taken as you saying it is less important than the Holocaust or other larger scale disasters. It is a slippery slope and one that you have to be careful on how you word it to keep from offending others.
On the other hand, you arguing that 9/11 isn't a disaster can be taken as you saying it is less important than the Holocaust or other larger scale disasters.
Never said that, nor was implying it.

No one said that any events were less important than 9/11
I know. I was just stating that everyone gets their panties in a bunch for something that happens to them, but sleep at night with no problems when the event doesn't.

Now that I think of it, I derailed the topic. Sorry.
Fredbill wrote:
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that people who live in first world countries need to stop acting like selfish assholes (Disclaimer: Not calling anyone an asshole) and they need to actually think about others.

I disagree with your stance.

People feel more strongly about events they're close to. It's normal, natural, and it certainly doesn't make you an asshole.

I'm sure you would feel much worse about your mother getting killed than you would some random person in Africa you've never met. Getting crazy upset over your mothers death is normal. Getting crazy upset about a random stranger's is unhealthy -- if you let that get to you, you will be miserable your entire life.

That doesn't make you selfish. It's just that your mother is closer to you... and so you relate to the situation.

That's what 9/11 was like for a lot of people. It was close to home.. so we reacted to it more strongly than we do things that happen far from home. Many people lost family members... and many others knew people who lost family. That cuts deep.

I'm sure people in 3rd world countries feel more strongly about their problems than they do about 9/11. And that's totally fine and totally normal.
Last edited on
Fredbill wrote:
Never said that, nor was implying it.

I know. I was just pointing out that, due to the slippery slope of the subject matter, saying you consider one to a disaster and the other not to be can make the reader interpret it as you thinking that. A person can say and imply a lot, but it is ultimately the reader's interpretation that causes the problems.
Fredbill wrote:
I was just stating that everyone gets their panties in a bunch for something that happens to them, but sleep at night with no problems when the event doesn't.

That isn't true though. During WWII, Americans were wanting to go to war to help the other countries, but it was the President that kept saying we were neutral until his hand was forced by Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. During all the other problems, we have organizations that were started by the same people that sleep find at night (like Red Cross). There are people that start making care packages to send to places that are hit by natural disasters or hunger in order to help them. There are also people who send money so the governments there can buy food for them. Missionaries and people wanting to help end up going over to help way before the US Government sends anything.
Fredbill wrote:
Now that I think of it, I derailed the topic. Sorry.

This topic was derailed from the OP. You can't start a topic about conspiracies and keep it on topic due to the wealth of conspiracies.
Last edited on
That isn't true though. During WWII, Americans were wanting to go to war to help the other countries, but it was the President that kept saying we were neutral until his hand was forced by Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.
How does that relate to the text?
you keep saying that we just care about 9/11 and no other major issue, and we are providing examples of how you are wrong
During WWII, Americans were wanting to go to war to help the other countries, but it was the President that kept saying we were neutral until his hand was forced by Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.

Is this true?

I thought it was the other way around -- the govt wanted to get involved but the people didn't want to because they just got out of WW1 and didn't want to get into another big war.

It wasn't until Pearl Harbor happened, coupled with a stream of pro-war propaganda, that the public interest shifted.
Fredbill wrote:
How does that relate to the text?

Fredbill wrote:
everyone gets their panties in a bunch for something that happens to them, but sleep at night with no problems when the event doesn't.
Me wrote:
During WWII, Americans were wanting to go to war to help the other countries, but it was the President that kept saying we were neutral until his hand was forced by Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor.

If what you said was true, then Americans wouldn't have wanted to go to war to stop Germany, the Nazis, the Holocaust, and the other atrocities of WWII. The Americans only stayed out of the war for as long as it did because of the President and Congress not wanting to make a declaration of war until Japan's attack forced them to change their minds. For every 3rd world country that is having a problem, you can find an American or group of Americans there trying to make a difference. Some Americans form organizations with the sole purpose to get donations in order to get supplies (food, water, clothes, etc.) for those countries in need. None of that would happen according to your statement because the events aren't happening to the people starting the organization or helping other countries.
Last edited on
to the best of my knowledge disch i think it was true. iirc it was pretty much pro war, antiwar, and the two camps were split right down the middle, with prowar coming out ahead a bit
Disch wrote:
I thought it was the other way around -- the govt wanted to get involved but the people didn't want to because they just got out of WW1 and didn't want to get into another big war.

The President at the time, FDR, sent supplies and such, but kept publicly stating the US wouldn't go to war. Soldiers and those who were appalled by the events unfolding at the hands of the Nazi party wanted to get involved. Some wanted to get involved due to the Holocaust, others were scared that the Nazis wouldn't be beat and would eventually be on our front doors fighting to take America. Sure you had the ones that didn't want to go to war, just like every war; there is always those who think there are peaceful solutions for it. It wasn't until that Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor that FDR had to side with the American people and make a declaration of war. The attack on Pearl Harbor also created a dark spot on our history as it resulted in fear taking over and the US putting all Americans with Japanese heritage into Japanese internment camps near the west coast because it was believed they would use crop signals to direct Japanese plans to weak points in our defense for Japan to take over the US.

Amazing what paranoia can spawn during war.
@BHXSpecter

America went in and helped 1st world countries.
The sky is blue? Your point is?
Pages: 1... 3456