project ideas?

I need to start writing software that I can put on github to A) show off my skill, and B) put on my resume, which is why I'm asking this question here. I know I could google it, but all of the ideas were beginner-teaching-you-the-language ideas. Anyways, what are some good projects I could do to show off my skills? Just name anything

edit: please nothing that requires graphics, as I cannot do that
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Some sort of scope might be useful (other than "please nothing that requires graphics").
well see, I really need it to be anything. i need to be able to adapt to different situations, however the job Im applying for I wont be doing stuff with a gui.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
How about a barcode generator? I had to write one a few years back in C++/CLI for a customer. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds and does in fact look very good on a resume.

* I used this website as a reference for crafting an API: http://www.barcodeisland.com/symbolgy.phtml
Last edited on
alright! thank you!
Hi,
1) An editable dictionary
2) How about open source games strategy like dwarf fortress.
A simple game, not as huge as dwarf forfress itself. i does not require much graphics
1) An editable dictionary

that doesnt seem that difficult... just std::map<std::string, std::string> with a couple of functions

2) How about open source games strategy like dwarf fortress.
A simple game, not as huge as dwarf forfress itself. i does not require much graphics

i cant do anything with graphics beyond something as simple as creating a box for sudoku
closed account (z05DSL3A)
How about a hex editor?
sure. that might work well
i cant do anything with graphics beyond something as simple as creating a box for sudoku
Technically Dwarf Fortress can operate in full text mode and run in terminal. All graphic support it has is for overcoming technical problems with crappy consoles and to support custom tiles.
Most roguelikes operates in ASCII pseudographics mode
Last edited on
So.. why can't you do graphics? Are you incapable or unwilling?
Just std::map<std::string, std::string> with a couple of functions

That's one way of doing it. Try implementing map your self. Or, do it in some way that your entire dictionary isn't loaded into memory at any given time. Or give your self a memory usage constraint and work around that.

edit:
Might be out of your ability range, but something I'm doing to get around not being able to run an SSH server and access it away from home is a folder monitoring service that parses XML files in the root of my project directories and uses them to compile the sources, run the program and capture output to a file. I sync all my projects to google drive to do this. That way I can program from my tablet when I'm away from my desk.

I'm doing this in a mixture of C and Haskell, incase anyone was wondering.
Last edited on
ultifinitus wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. I was always told that if you are going to put projects on github or a portfolio site you should put things that show your range of ability. If you are avoiding graphical then you are limiting yourself to possible jobs. If you have graphical code, it still shows off your programming ability and shouldn't be excluded nor ignored.

(this is also for @bhx) well a) im not good at designing guis and the jobs i am applying for wont have me doing graphical code. im better at the backend stuff and want to write projects that both further my skills in that area and allow me to show something off. i see no point in knowing a little bit of everything when i can hone my skills that i will be using for this job. (however dont get me wrong. i am by no means saying that knowing guis is a useless skill, or a lesser one. it is just not one i need for the kind of code i will be writing)

@cheraphy: about map, i could never figure out how to implement it when i thought about it, so youre right, it could be a fun project to take on.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.