Spelling mistakes: do you care?

I almost spelled 'spelling' wrong :) ( edit: but I did put the quote in the wrong place ).

So, we're programmers, we can't have typos in our code. Hopefully we run spell check before sending off emails ( did I give a hint to my age by saying 'run'? ).

However, I just started a project, and just need to type a phrase to print so I can know everything is working properly.

I meant to type "This Works", but instead, I typed "This OWrk". I really don't care at all. I just left it like that. And you know what, it did OWrk.

Does anybody else have a strong lack of care for incorrect spelling that really doesn't matter one iota? Do you think it's because we ( as programmers ) spend a fair amount of time making sure that every comma and comparison operator and variable name is done correctly?
Last edited on
Ehh.. I don't really care that much. I usually compile my code every 10-20 min, so it doesn't take too long if I am working on a big project. The compiler finds the mistake, I fix it, move on.

But unless it is like the douche bags you'd find in public school that type like:
"Yo I hte stff lke dis" (<- actual post, mind you)

I really don't care though
Hopefully we run spell check before sending off emails ( did I give a hint to my age by saying 'run'? ).

Nope because I was born in '81 and when we started learning computers that had spell check we were always told to "run it through spell check" and when I graduated high school in 2000 that phrase and term was still widely used.

Does anybody else have a strong lack of care for incorrect spelling that really doesn't matter one iota? Do you think it's because we ( as programmers ) spend a fair amount of time making sure that every comma and comparison operator and variable name is done correctly?

I don't care, but that is because my browser has built in spell check and catches most of the typos and language misuses so I can see what it recommends and tweak it accordingly.
I'm not exactly talking about finding errors or caring about spelling in general.

Say you were making a proof on concept, maybe a chat system. You are about to send the first message, and you hardcode 'I am chatting' into the program. Would you fix it if you spelled 'chatting' wrong?

I wouldn't. Not only that, but I would almost feel like it is my right after all of that specific spelling/typing that programming requires. I revel in it, and wonder if others do too.

I would fix it if I was going to present it, but that very first message, I care not.
Last edited on
I care. I try to spell things correctly and will press backspace to correct a misspelling if I catch it.

Though I generally don't run a spellchecker. I just use whatever editor's built-in red-squiggly-line spell checker... but don't do any effort beyond that to run any other spell checking tool.
It is difficult, but one should try to always be accurate with grammar and spelling because you never know when a potential client may see it and walk away thinking you will make their program look unprofessional due to typos. At least that is my opinion on it.
Last edited on
BHX + 1

Always assume that any code you release into the wild will be seen by someone you would prefer to impress.

Spell carefully.
I don't even consciously fix spelling mistakes; it just... happens. I'll find myself mistyping a word, and because typing is second-nature to me, I will end up backspacing before I am even aware of an actual spelling mistake. The only time where it gets away from me is when my fingers are off by a key- by then, the whole thing is gibberish.
I don't even consciously fix spelling mistakes; it just... happens.

It's kind of interesting, but I find my self subconsciously hitting "delete" to fix spelling mistakes.
Personally, I don't care as for typing phrases for making sure that everything works, I even write meaningless phrases or symbols because, eventually, I will remove them and I use this type of checking a lot so I just type anything.

But I care as for phrases that will show up to the user or variables names even comments, generally, everything that will stay in the code, I think it's obvious since people may see the code, comments are made to tell you what you are doing (and tell others) variable names are unarguably important and should have a meaning. (I guess the delete key is the most used key while coding after space and enter)

Also, I don't run a spell checker, also in my editor I hate them (that little red zigzag line under spell incorrect words (short form) just annoying) so I tend to disable it.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
This:

http://www.brainhq.com/brain-resources/brain-teasers/scrambled-text
closed account (NUj6URfi)
OP wrote:
And you know what, id did OWrk.

Shouldn't that be "And you know what, it did OWrk."

I do care about proper grammar but not in code or text messages.
^ That's funny, I didn't notice that.
I'm extremely pedantic about my code. I probably spend more time trying to compromise between something like "function_with_a_long_name" and "fn_abbrev_name" than most people spend on actually designing their programs (which I don't do).

I'm trying to get out of the habit of being a perfectionist and become a "completionist" instead but it bothers me when code doesn't look perfect.
Didn't read the whole post but, I noticed that I rush through my code which results in a lots of errors. I have to slow down and really watch what I'm doing because it came become a bigger problem in the future.
I agree to an extent in some argumens though, assholes avoid your point by pointing out your spelling;

Ialso try and spel lwell here becuse people care however I feel I want a personal style so that I can attai some individualiity or personalityin the form of writing, what with my social life now being partly online.

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.