Everyone has the right to a name

But, do we have the right to chose to not have a name as well?
It's not a right to have a name, is just a fact of existence in a social society. We recognize the utility of having a name, and so we give them to our children, et.al.

Many localities also recognize the need for some people to change their name, send make it possible.

I don't think it is possible to delete your name -- you must have one. (Here in the USA the only real restriction is that it cannot be a pure number.)

But I don't think this is what you're really asking, is it?
Duoas wrote:
It's not a right to have a name, is just a fact of existence in a social society. We recognize the utility of having a name, and so we give them to our children, et.al.
Actually no, there is something which says that everyone has the right to a name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7THJoRYA2c

And yes, I was asking if you could delete your name. I was assuming that by having the right to a name that just meant you had to be given one until/unless you were intelligent enough to make the decision yourself (e.g. people born and their mothers die, and they are never given a name).
> It's not a right to have a name
> Actually no, there is something which says that everyone has the right to a name.
the video that you linked says that Yankeeland has not adhered to that

> I was assuming that by having the right to a name
> that just meant you had to be given one
> until/unless you were intelligent enough to make the decision yourself
perhaps you should read the rationale http://www.unicef.org/pon96/coname.htm
OK, thanks ne555, that makes sense. The answer is that society isn't ready and will not be for a very long time.
I don't think that is a right that anybody would ever want. People have been giving names to things and specific names to their children for so long.

"I am Lowest0ne". That doesn't mean nearly as much to me as if I used my actual name. My name is a very important part of my individuality.

I don't know if there is a term for this, but I do know that if you want to break a person, a good first step is to have him/her respond to a name of your choice.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.