Universal Epoch Time

Pages: 12
light cannot change speed no matter how much you alter the space it travels through

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/01.24/01-stoplight.html
That article wrote:
They did it by passing a beam of light through a small cloud of atoms cooled to temperatures a billion times colder than those in the spaces between stars.

Wtf does that mean? You can't be a billion times colder than a temperature... that's retarded.

What is "5x colder" than 70 degrees?

Normally I wouldn't mind. But it's a fucking science article. From Harvard. Get your shit together, guys.

I stopped reading after that.
@Disch: 5 times cooler than 70 kelvin is 14 kelvin. Nowhere in the quote was the word "degrees" used.
Last edited on
@LB: The unit for the Kelvin scale is a 'kelvin', not a 'degree'. You would just say "14 Kelvin".

Also, even if you're right... that's awkwardly worded at best. You typically don't say "5x as <negative>"... you would say "1/5th as <positive>" or "20% of <positive>".

IE, if I am wearing 3 articles of clothing and I remove two of them... I wouldn't say I'm "3 times as naked". That statement doesn't make any sense.

Lastly, by that definition, a billion times colder than anything outside of a star is going to be extremely close to absolute 0. If they are in fact getting that close to absolute 0 it would be much more impressive to state the actual temperature they achieved.
Indeed, it's the speed of light in vacuum that's constant Light in everything else moves slower (and faster-than-light travel in, for example, water, is well studied and nothing unusual)
closed account (48T7M4Gy)
With all this new found knowledge all we need is somebody here to write an app for the new iWatch
Also android wear
Cubbi wrote:
faster-than-light travel in, for example, water, is well studied and nothing unusual

???
Cubbi is right. Light does, after all, travel much slower in water than it does in a vacuum- it doesn't mean that something in water can't travel faster than the light around it in water.
Ok, I misunderstood him. I thought he was saying light travels faster than c in water which is obviously wrong.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12