Pages: 12
So I remember commercials for this show when it first came out. I thought it looked like a neat idea, but was just a silly kids show... so I didn't watch it. Then years later I saw online that it had developed this weird fanbase with people raving about it.

So about a week ago I decided I'd give it a shot and see what all the hype was about. I just got through the last episode today.

It did not disappoint.

This show is incredible. Brilliant writing, phenomenal characters, stellar voice acting, gripping story, perfectly paced, and some of the best animated sequences I've ever seen. There were a few clinker episodes here and there, but overall it was a terrific experience. I haven't been this excited about a show since Breaking Bad.

It's weird because it is a kids show, but it isn't really. Like it seems like it was written to target young adults... or hell... even actual adults. This storyline and these characters easily could have been a full on hit adult live action show. But the show markets itself to kids... and somehow does it without ruining anything the show has to offer. I'm kind of amazed.

The result of this is a bunch of weird little things... like they never show anybody dying --- and the few times death is alluded to, it's left vague so as not to be too shocking for the kids. It's was even directly lampshaded in the show, also, which was quite hilarious.

But yeah... it's the perfect blend of action, drama, and comedy. It quickly became one of my favorite shows... and I dare say it is my top favorite animated show -- edging out the long-time champion Stand Alone Complex.

I guess next up I'll have to watch Legend of Korra. But part of me is scared. There's no way it can be as good...

Anyway, has anyone else here seen this show? If not, I highly recommend it.
Last edited on
oh i love avatar. thats an amazing show. also, korra is ok, the first episode didnt really catch me so i didnt really watch it
Last time I remember watching the avatar tv show was probably 7-8 years ago though I did like the movie that they released in 2010? Think its on netflix too
I have seen nothing that suggests to me the movie is worth watching. Every review of it I can find rips it apart.. and all the clips I've seen make it look terrible.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/
Last edited on
Great show. Awful movie.
It's weird because it is a kids show, but it isn't really.

I hope you don't think that because it is animated. I don't try to judge a story based on the medium it is told through, though i know a lot of people that dismiss shows because they are simply animated which they automatically label as childish.

I've heard similar things about MLP (my little pony) and it as well has a pretty big fanbase online, if you are looking for stuff to watch.
I never had any inclination to watch MLP until my daughter discovered it -- and I swear I've seen every episode about a hundred times -- I've got most of them memorized -- but it is a surprisingly well-written program.

It turns out that most of the stuff I enjoy is "kid's fare". I've been watching Wreck It Ralph almost non-stop these past few days.
ezchgg wrote:
I hope you don't think that because it is animated

Maybe "kids show" is the wrong phrase... but it certainly is "family friendly". You never see people actually getting hurt... main characters in the show never die... and even some of the characters and humor are written in a way which make them appeal to the younger audience (though that's not to say they're not well written or funny -- just that a younger audience is able to appreciate them).

So yeah... I personally would call it a kids show. Though I hold no shame in admitting that I can thoroughly enjoy a kids show despite being in my 30s.

I've heard similar things about MLP (my little pony) and it as well has a pretty big fanbase online

I actually tried to watch Friendship is Magic before -- I couldn't even get through the first episode. It was like embarrassing... I felt ashamed to even be watching it. It was the cheesiest, most cornball garbage. I've heard that it gets much better when they realized their target audience --- but I just wasn't able to stomach watching it long enough to get to that point.

Duoas wrote:
I've been watching Wreck It Ralph almost non-stop these past few days.

Haven't heard of that one.
Disch wrote:
It was like embarrassing... I felt ashamed to even be watching it. It was the cheesiest, most cornball garbage.

First half or so of season 1 was crap. Season 2 was substantially better. By Season 4 it was a completely different show. It kinda grew up with the original target audience, and that's not including all the nudges to the older fan base.

edit: and the comics are known to be directly targeted at the teen+ fanbase.

edit edit: watch any episode with the character called Discord. He's voiced by John De Lancie and is basically Q.

edit edit edit: The Season 4 finale has a DBZ style power beam struggle. So there's that.
Last edited on
I've seen all of the Legend of Aang and I am currently up to date with the weekly episodes of Korra (what can I say, I'm a nerd for many things).

Korra is still a very good anime series but I don't feel like it's quite as good as the legend of Aang. What's cool about Korra is that the series explains so much about their universe and what the avatar and bending is and where they come from, it's a very good idea... But their's just something that's not the same.

I think it's just that it has kind of lost its innocence... But if you think about it I think that the it appeals most to people around late teens as more of a true anime rather than a kids cartoon (even though it is still an anime because of the series story), so it's as if Nick have tried to target the same people who watched the Aang when that came out.

Also DO NOT WATCH THE FILM... You notice that their was never a second film for Earth? Their's a reason... It's probably one of the worst films I've ever seen along with Twilight and the entire rom-com genre XD

EDIT: Anyone seen Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood? That is a legendary anime series!
Last edited on
Can't bring my self to watch FMA:Bro. I was absolutely obsessed with the original when it was airing and it being a common interest between the two guys that would become my closest friends and I was what started our friendship. I'm really weird about media, especially when it comes to those two.

edit: Anyone here ever watch Wakfu? It's basically a french shonen. and partway into the first season it has the best animation I've ever seen outside of a movie. And it's all done in flash. Fucking unreal
Last edited on
I'll just leave this here http://youtu.be/nSu0HeRnG18
Can't bring my self to watch FMA:Bro

I enjoyed both... but honestly... FMA:B was infinitely better than the first FMA.

Why? Well where do I begin (LOTS OF FMA SPOILERS BUT NOT REALLY ANY FMA:B SPOILERS):

- Al was simply a plot device in FMA, whereas he was an actual contributing character in FMA:B. In FMA he never went on his own, and when he did, it was just to fuck up so Ed had to rescue him and/or clean up his mess.

- It actually made sense why the homunculi were loyal to Father in FMA:B... while it was never really adequately explained (and didn't really make sense) why they didn't all turn against Dante in FMA.

- FMA:B had a much bigger cast and used the side characters more. FMA didn't even have Ling for crying out loud!

- FMA:B 'got going' a lot quicker than FMA did. Pretty much all of FMA is skippable up until they find the 5th lab.

- Some key plot points to the FMA universe are mentioned in FMA but then go nowhere and/or are never elaborated upon ("The fabled city to the east", the war/standoff with Drachma, etc). These not only are gone into greater detail in FMA:B, but are crucial to the overall story.

- King Bradley was infinitely more badass in FMA:B than he was in FMA. Like... he's one of the strongest presences and the single most intimidating and dangerous character in FMA:B ... and while he wasn't bad in FMA.... his FMA version doesn't even hold a candle to his FMA:B version.

- FMA had a tremendously huge, almost show ruining plothole -- the only reason the homunculi were keeping the Elrics alive was because they needed someone who could perform alchemy to make the philosopher's stone, right? But they had Wrath... which they repeatedly demonstrated could use alchemy. Or hell... Dante could have done it. So why didn't they just use one of them and kill the Elrics & Scar? It made waaaay more sense why they kept the Elrics alive in FMA:B.

- In FMA, why in fucks sake would Pride keep his skull around? Let alone let his son have access to it? And speaking of FMA Pride... his fight with Mustang was lame, and Pride's death was so forced and didn't make any freaking sense at all.

- Speaking of forced deaths -- Wrath fuses himself into Sloth... for what? So the Elrics could kill her? Wtf kind of sense did that make? And why didn't he fuse back out once he saw what he was doing to her?

- In FMA.... Beyond the gate is "our world" in WWII era.. without any alchemy? Laaaaaame.

- And speaking of beyond the gate.... Ed goes beyond the gate into his counterpart's body... only to have that body immediately die so he can go back to his world? Laaaaaaaame.

- FMA's ending was lackluster. That + the beyond the gate crap (which felt so out of place and nonsensical), it was clear they only introduced all that to set up the movie.

- The movie fucking sucked.

To FMA's credit... the concept of the homunculi being born from failed human transmutations was pretty slick. And Sloth being the Elrics' mom was pretty much completely awesome.

Also... Archer in FMA was pretty cool, even if his motives were... questionable. He wasn't in FMA:B, unfortunately.

Anyway... if you liked FMA, you should really give FMA:B another go. It really is the superior show.

EDIT:

Seriously... King Bradley in FMA:B kicks SO MUCH ASS. If you don't mind the spoilers, just watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhza0DBAong

EDIT again:

Aw man... and the fight with Lust.... again, big time spoilers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ28CRhAObw
Last edited on
The problem with first FMA was that it catched up with manga too quickly forcing them to create their own plot. Half plot from the mangaka + half plot from the anime team = plot holes. And that happened even though they started making filler episoded from the very beginning of series.
Second series almost catch up to the manga and finished not far apart from it.

I like FMA:B because it made almost everyone a badass in their own way instead of focusing on Elric brothers and antagonists, making others a support cast at best as first one did.

Disch wrote:
Archer in FMA was pretty cool
But their Kimblee sucked.
I wasn't a fan of Kimblee in either series. He felt like he was trying to be those "you love to hate him" villains, but was trying too hard. His character didn't really make much sense to me.

His motivations were definitely more clear in FMA:B, but still questionable. IMO FMA's Archer accomplished the same effect but in a much more believable way... making him blinded by his fuel for battle and/or loyalty to the throne and unable to see why what he was doing was wrong.

Whereas Kimblee in both series knew exactly what he was doing... but didn't care? And if he didn't care...why did he fight so hard (and why was he so loyal in FMA:B)? In FMA:B he said he was just 'watching to see who would come out on top'... but he actively picked a side and fought tooth and nail for them. So I didn't buy that argument. I dunno... I might have to watch them again, but he just generally confused me.
Last edited on
My love for Kimblee is probably steams from my preference for "change" or "chaos" archetype in roleplaying games. If two sides are trying to solve their differences by turning blind eye to them, I will point it out and will see if someone will yield, someone will force to accept their views or they will find third choice. Why wait for eventual conflict if I can cause it right away and spare years of lies?

I see Kimblee as selecting a side which allows him to participate and be witness to main events in the world. Not to mention his love for explosions, which other side does not approve. Also he wants to test determination of main participants. And he excels in this.

He died because he is not afraid of death and did not care about it, which makes him not suited as sacrifice. Otherwise he could play their games much longer. (And even death did not stop him anyway)
That's an interesting take, MiiNiPaa. I'll try to keep that in mind if/when I give the show another run through.
Hunter X Hunter is pretty good, aside from the fact that they haven't make an English dub (for whatever reason).
@Avilius: Nah, I haven't seen that one.

But since we're talking about different shows now.... Has anyone seen Now & Then, Here & There? There's a dub, but it's horrible... subs are the only way to watch it.

That show was downright brutal. The less I tell you about it, the better. Let's just say the first episode makes you think it's going to be one thing, but then it takes a huge turn and changes.

And it just gets worse... and worse... and worse... and worse....

It's a fantastic show, but it's really dark.
Last edited on
Have you guys ever watched the english dub of Ghost Stories? Basically the studio dubbing it couldn't get the rights to the script so they just kinda ad-libbed and it's fucking great.
Pages: 12