• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Quickgame challenge -- anyone interested

Quickgame challenge -- anyone interested?

Pages: 1234
Lachlan Easton just made a post about a guy doing a live stream of him writing a game. And it made me think of all my past attempts at writing games and how they usually fizzle out due to various reasons -- the biggest one being I let them get too complicated.

So to challenge myself... I'm thinking of just saying "screw it, give yourself a timetable and stick to it". I have a lot of free time, so I can totally just sit down and crank out the code if I get a project I'm really motivated on.

The idea is this: create a simple and fun game in a really short timeframe. Let's say a week. Media files can be pulled from other places, and you can use whatever libs/languages you want (though I personally am going to just use SFML).

When the week is over, I show what I have, regardless of whether or not its "finished".

I thought it might be more motivating if other people on here would do this challenge with me, so I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Is anyone down?
Maybe if I had a cool game idea I wanted to try :(.
Hardest part of game design is that initial good idea I think. But sounds fun otherwise.
Maybe 1 week for design and 1 week for implementation?

If so, I might just join the fun.

-Albatross
Cool beans. I'm going to officially start Sunday and take the whole week. Though I will use the time between now and then to kick around ideas (but no actual code writing).
I just started a septoku game. It's in Tcl, though. Just to play around. If it turns out really well I may develop it further. I'll post it for y'all when I'm done.
I've always wanted to do this but I'm not really all that good at the moment, so far I've only been able to make a map and be able to move around it. Every time I get beyond that I get stuck. Lately I've been working on a Final Fantasy(1-3) type game and like I said, I've gotten no further than that though I will point out it was a major improvement over what I've done before.
Hmm I am down to join. Just curious on something. Is the time span starting this Sunday and runs till next Sunday? Or is it going to be 2 weeks like Albatross suggested?

Anyways this sounds like a fun little community challenge looking forward to seeing what we all can create.

On my side will try my best to pump out at least a small little game for this but can't make any promises on a finished one. All depends on IRL stuff (Specially since next week is thanksgiving).

But anyways enough of my blabbering count me in :).
Last edited on
I was going to do Sunday morning to Saturday night -- and then that's it. Get it completely done by then.

But I already kind of have an idea for what I want to make, and am itching to go... so I have a leg up so to speak. If you guys want to take more time to prep that's fine. We don't have to all do perfectly in sync -- just the idea that other people are doing it too is enough for me.
Z e r e o wrote:
(Specially since next week is thanksgiving).
Umm..isn't Thanksgiving the 27th? That's almost 2 weeks away.
Last edited on
Umm..isn't Thanksgiving the 27th? That's almost 2 weeks away.

Ahh gezz I must be working to much and getting my dates scrambled lol. Thanks giblit yeah you are correct.

But I already kind of have an idea for what I want to make, and am itching to go... so I have a leg up so to speak. If you guys want to take more time to prep that's fine. We don't have to all do perfectly in sync -- just the idea that other people are doing it too is enough for me.

K that sounds will try and have it done by next Sunday. Probably will just make a clone of some game with a little twist to it since that will save some time on the design process (And because I don't have a creative bone in my body when it comes to thinking up game ideas lol).
Probably will just make a clone of some game with a little twist to it since that will save some time on the design process (And because I don't have a creative bone in my body when it comes to thinking up game ideas lol).

My game idea is heavily inspired by another game -- so yeah.

EDIT:

FWIW, I'm kind of cheating. I spent some time today coming up with graphics. But I won't write any actual code until Sunday! I swear!

Besides.. my graphics aren't exactly anything to write home about:

http://imgur.com/CnEi1hJ
Last edited on
I will join in, I've just got to figure out how to make my idea fun.

It looks like you're making pizza tycoon or something. Or no, someone throws a paper airplane and you have to move your guy to catch it! :)

Edit: I guess I'm cheating a little too, I spent last night getting an sfgui with opengl rendering application running.
Last edited on
So I'm too excited to wait another day, so I'm just starting today. Guess I'll go Saturday to Friday then.

It looks like you're making pizza tycoon or something. Or no, someone throws a paper airplane and you have to move your guy to catch it! :)

Hahaha, not even close. That's supposed to be a big mallet/hammer the guy is carrying. My art kind of sucks.

I'm doing a weird cross between Wandering Souls, Bastion, and Geometry Wars... only much simpler than all of those.
Looks like a potato holding a mallet to me.
That's supposed to be a big mallet/hammer the guy is carrying

Okay, that explains the one that is just a brown rectangle. Your art doesn't suck, without any context I was at least able to figure out it is a top-down view of a guy walking.

I can't wait to smash paper airplanes with a mallet. :)
I understood Disch's graphics immediately, and I don't play a lot of games.

BTW, if you all want software to help with graphics, Blender is indispensable. (And GIMP|PS, but that's a given.)

My selection tiles will 'flip' (spin) when switching between ink and pencil mode, and a little careful texture mapping on a plane in Blender and a render did that beautifully. Besides the two end sprites, the flipping animation only takes five sprites to animate.
If you are technically a student ( you have a valid student email ), then you can get student licenses for all of Autodesk's products. I believe you get the complete program, you just aren't allowed to use what you make commercially.
Yay so I have a lot of framework stuff set up and I have the guy walking around the screen.

Next up:
- Make the camera able to move around
- Make it so you can attack
- Add in a simple bad guy
Decided I really wanted to do some across-the-screen movement animations, so I spent the day translating a templated interpolator library I wrote into Tcl.

It's a work of art. (The documentation takes more space than the code, LOL.)
I'm not even writing documentation, I don't know how you have time for that! And the further I get with this the less effort I'm putting into organization. I've resorted to a few global objects and some questionable design patterns.

I don't have the time to make it pretty! Only 5 days left!

But it's working! You can walk around and swing your mallet (though it doesn't do anything besides the graphic as of yet), and I have a basic enemy that goes through its logic, but can't actually get hurt (or hurt you) yet.

Tomorrow I'll finish up the enemy, get attacks finished up, put in a health bar, and make the first "level" (which will consist of 1 type of bad guy over and over and over... hah).

Then I'll probably do the main menu and config screens.

After that it's just a matter of developing new enemies and creating levels.

EDIT: screenie
http://imgur.com/HbI1SWV
Last edited on
Pages: 1234