CPlusPlus.com App/Mobile Site

Pages: 12
I was thinking the other day that it would be cool to have an app for this forum. This is probably the most useful forum for C++ I have used and I wanted to do some browsing the other day on my mobile but was disappointed to find no app and not even a mobile site.

Let's at least get a mobile site. Haha. It's the age of the smart phone. :P
Last edited on
This is probably the most useful forum for C++ I have used

stackoverflow, daniweb, cprogramming, reddit.com/r/learnprogramming are all quite useful and resourceful

not even a mobile site.

m.cplusplus.com ;)

but was disappointed to find no app

i am no longer a regular on this forum, but i believe some of the arguments were this site has no public api, and its small enough that doesnt really warrant one
I've actually used all of those. Haha. I guess I've always just liked this one most, personally. :P

m.cplusplus.com ;)

This redirects my phone to the desktop site. :(

its small enough

Maybe we could grow with the addition of an app. :D
This redirects my phone to the desktop site. :(

hmmm... guess it was taken down, or it doesnt recognize your phone as mobile

Maybe we could grow with the addition of an app. :D

most people would rather it not be. and i meant the size of the site
An app wouldn't really do much for this site (or any programming site really). It's just not ideal reading and writing code on a phone.
except brainfuck. ive written some mean brainfuck code on my phone. im debating how hard it would be to write nim code on my phone
closed account (18hRX9L8)
Little Bobby Tables wrote:
im debating how hard it would be to write nim code on my phone

Notes app? I write all my code in the Notes app. It syncs with my Mac since I have an iCloud account. Very useful, you should try it.
Last edited on
i refuse to anything made by apple
closed account (18hRX9L8)
Little Bobby Tables wrote:

(╯°Д°)╯︵ /(.□ . \\)
Apple hardware products have at least one advantage over non apple products. Closed hardware ecosystem. They have full control of the hardware they are working with, and as such have access to the same level of micro optimizations consoles have that you just don't get with non apple PCs and android/windows smartphones and tablets.

It also allows for better integration between their products.

That being said, that is literally the only advantage I can think of that Apple has over it's competitors.
Last edited on
Apple hardware products have at least one advantage over non apple products. Closed hardware ecosystem. They have full control of the hardware they are working with, and as such have access to the same level of micro optimizations consoles have that you just don't get with non apple PCs and android/windows smartphones and tablets.

It also allows for better integration between their products.

That being said, that is literally the only advantage I can think of that Apple has over it's competitors.

obj-c

(╯°Д°)╯︵ /(.□ . \\)

the dtscode giveth, and the dtscode taketh away >:(
Obs-c is a terrible language.

However, Cocoa is nice.
Last edited on
I think the best solution would be to program a web app, where people can access it as a website but it simulates many characteristics of a native application, i.e. UI, 3 bar side menu, one single page that dynamically loads in content rather than links to multiple pages etc.

This gets past the difficulties of trying to get an app in the app store and google play store but at the same time simulates the native smartphone experience.

You can use OneDrive if you have a Windows device or GoogleDrive if you have an Android device, these should do the same job (i.e. sync code to the cloud).
You can use OneDrive if you have a Windows device or GoogleDrive if you have an Android device, these should do the same job (i.e. sync code to the cloud)
im well aware of clouds and syncing. not the issue

I think the best solution would be to program a web app, where people can access it as a website but it simulates many characteristics of a native application, i.e. UI, 3 bar side menu, one single page that dynamically loads in content rather than links to multiple pages etc.

This gets past the difficulties of trying to get an app in the app store and google play store but at the same time simulates the native smartphone experience.
thats complete gibberish
OP and to anyone else who asks this question:
If you want an app so bad, why don't you code one up yourself, put it on github, ask the admins to approve or suggest improvements to it. Then either find someone with a google and or apple developer account or get your own(Last I heard google was a one time $25 fee and apple was an annual fee but I don't know how much). Then upload it to the stores.
Last edited on
as i said before, there is no public api, and continuosly parsing html can become very inefficient
continuosly parsing html can become very inefficient

I'd take this as a challenge. Try to make a web app without a public api and make it snappy enough to not be a pain to use.
o.O good luck. it can be done. but it wouldnt work like a mobile app should
thats complete gibberish

What do you mean? It seems like a sensible solution to me. If you want to build a native app then you need to sign up for an official developer account (which you may have to pay for) and once you submit your app there is a lengthly approval process. If you build a web app instead you don't need to pay for any developer accounts and you can make it available to users as soon as you update it. Even though you can't fully simulate the native app experience a web app is still a lot more intuitive to use compared to mobile websites, just take a look at the Facebook web app and how similar it is to the native application. Not to mention the fact that web apps are cross-platform.
Last edited on
What do you mean? It seems like a sensible solution to me. If you want to build a native app then you need to sign up for an ... web apps are cross-platform.
*sigh* more gibberish
Last edited on
Pages: 12