• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Looking for partners in game development

Looking for partners in game development

Hi there! I'm currently developping a very simple text based MMO-RTS and I'm looking for someone who would be interested in participating in its development, to discuss ideas and cooperate in making it awesome.

To be clear, the game is simple in its interface, but for the rest, the sky is the limit!

Reply if you're interested,
AeonFlux1212
closed account (2LzbRXSz)
Although I'd love to, I can't be too much help programming wise. - I'm JUST jumping back into C++ after a long break/The only game developing I ever did were simple console games (Aside from a failed SFML text adventure I did with an artist friend a long time ago). I can try my best to make helpful suggestions in that department though!

I am, however, totally down to clown discussing ideas, and doing whatever else I can to help. I don't know any other programmers, so it'll be a new experience for me to work with someone else (even if I'm doing more moral support/idea contributing than programmer, assuming you're more experienced than I am).
Last edited on
You know, I'd love to help and I certainly could make a great investment in doing so, but mmorts? Sorry ... I really have no creative juices when it comes to real-time strategy games. I'd need experience with design methodologies. The programming part is meek, but the lack of experience and not so much interest as well will render me unable to want to contribute.

I have created really great menu systems for RPG games (like Final Fantasy 8's with Junction and magic, stats, and etc.), and those were used in games (kind of like "ghost programming," but I was paid extra because the system was so beneficial to the team). To add, I wrote it in less than two weeks, whereas they gave me 3.
Last edited on
Curious... how do you plan to implement real time into a console environment?
What kind of real time events might you have and how will you interface this to the user through the console?
The game is a set of menus, so everytime the user selects an item in the menu, an action is triggered, which can be to obtain data from the server or add data (new buildings, units, etc...) in the server database... almost all data will be centralized on the server in multiple databases, and the client/server interface uses the winsock library. I've already implemented it, well the base structure at least, I only have to add functions on both sides (client/server) as the game development goes along...

In other words (that's how the client/server works...), everytime a menu item is selected, the console app calls the client function to receive/send data to the server, connection shuts down on both sides after the data is transfered, then the result is outputed in the console app...

I'm trying to make it interesting too, because just a set of menus can be boring lol :-)
Last edited on
Ah, so when you say "real time" you mean that the server may be timing things and making it all work as planned, but the client doesn't know anything until it's asked for an update?
(Jail House Life does this but they just put a html on the menus and had it click based)

Do you plan for any push events from server?
not for now no... and the server isn't really timing things either, it just saves a date for certain events and requests from clients make it refresh itself... it's gonna be slow paced so I don't think that it's gonna be a problem

I'm still not sure exactly how all this is going to work, meaning that it has not been fully implemented yet, but the only thing that's gonna happen in real time are requests from clients, and whatever it is they'll be garanteed to have an updated version of the events occurring in the game.

edit--> I might consider having a thread on server side to keep track of things though, a sort of "auto-refresh", I'll have to think about it.

Things like combat, buildings will have an ETA, like troops will acquire target in x minutes, building will be ready in x minutes, etc.
Last edited on
I understand... sounds easily doable, provided that unlike me you can understand network programming XD
And by "easily doable" i mean your idea sounds like solid logic, and like i said i have seen this before but just with a HTML face instead of command line.

good luck with it!
(I may pop back)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.