OpenGL will become VULKAN

Tomorrow (March 3th, 2015) during GDC (Game Developers Conference), details concerning the successor to OpenGL will be displayed by Valve. The successor will be called VULKAN.

Thought? Future Telling? Trash Talk?
The timing of that name decision could not have been more awkward.

Link for those who want confirmation:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Khronos-Vulkan-Graphics-API

More information:
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86539994&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
Computer software, namely application programming interfaces for the purpose of creating, rendering, and displaying 2D and 3D computer graphics; computer software, namely application programming interfaces for the purpose of accessing parallel computing resources; downloadable specifications for the aforementioned goods.

-Albatross
Thought the announcement was March 5th? At least i can't find the announcement for the GDC scheduler.

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/glnext-the-future-of-high-performance-graphics-presented-by-valve
Heard it was the 5th, too. Cannot wait!
(Can you possibly fix up your link? it's got something wrong)
Ha my friend mentioned Valve doing a conference on 2015-03-03. Apparently some overzealous Half-Life fans who haven't realised Episode 3 isn't coming were getting excited, even though last time Valve leaked something about the number 3 is turned out to be another Left4Dead. My bet is Team Fortress 3 is next. $50 says the only difference from TF2 will be that you can get new weapons rather than just hats in the new one.
Wait so VULKAN is what glNext now is called??
I would seriously just prefer glNext, and not some all-caps, russian-looking name. Is it supposed to be a homage to Spock they decided at the last minute?

I am glad that there is support for a "new and improved" cross-platform API. But the real question is when is the earliest date that any GPUs would even support it? I probably don't have plans to get a GPU as soon as it support glNext so I guess I'll have to wait before I can experiment.
Last edited on
@chrisname: The Game Devs Conference itself begins on 3/3. But the VULKAN speak should only be on 5/3. Also EPIC will be on the mic.
HL3 was said to come out as soon as Source2 comes out... which will probably come out before L4D3 and TF3, since they're working hard on Source2 and L4D3/TF3 will probably make use of it.
Btw maybe you mean weapon skins? VALVe only has cosmetic items from the shop, except for some reskins that act like stock weapons. (Also, on a slightly more serious tone, there's not just hats in TF2)
@Ganado: Support usually comes from Drivers (AMD recently added OpenGL 4.4 support on my a-lot-of-years-old HD5450. NVidia already has 4.5 support, Intel is back at 4.3). So I don't think we'll need to buy newer graphic cards... maybe keeping our drivers up-to-date will be enough.
Last edited on
I can't be more happy with Vulkan. It addresses pretty much every damn complaint I've had for the past 3 years of any interaction with OpenGL and simplifies (and I mean *simplify*) shaders and interaction with HLSL just because of the use of a standard IR. That alone is enough for most to be honest... That said, Vulkan is apparently a custom copy of Mantle, so much so that it even has some of the same function names. Not a bad choice... function names will also start with vk instead of gl.

SPIR-V already has a specification out: https://www.khronos.org/registry/spir-v/specs/1.0/SPIRV.pdf
The glsl reference compiler can output to this IR meaning some development can already start for translation tools and libraries.
Can't tell you how excited I am for this release. While I'm not too fond of the name, finally I feel like I can actually happily work with the API now. I just really hope the driver situation is better.

As a side benefit for Vulkan, this also means that Vulkan shaders can be shipped in intermediate format, rather than as raw high-level GLSL code as OpenGL’s shader compiler path currently requirements.
I think I need a new pair of trousers.

This is definitely something I'll be getting my hands onto. We live in pretty interesting times :P

The more I think of it, the more I realize that naming the API OpenGL Next would be a pretty stupid idea... what would you call the next iteration of the API? OpenGL Next 2 seems kinda stupid.
At the very least, it may force some behind-the-times vendors to get their act together.
@EssGeEich
Good to know about the driver updates, so it's just a matter of time then.

Also now that I think about it, Vulkan isn't that bad of a name, it's interesting how it matching some sort of "earthy" theme (vulkan, mantle, metal).
Last edited on
Actually, I just realized the title of this thread is wrong. OpenGL isn't actually be replaced. Vulkan sits beside it... although I can't imagine people flocking to it over Vulkan in the future.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.