Is Computer Science for me? HELP

Is Computer Science for me?

Hey everyone, I am currently a sophomore and majoring in Computer Science. I just want to ask if I should continue with Computer Science major? I am really struggling now and not sure where to begin with. I was very enthusiastic in Computer Science major during my first semester in college and I was doing very well in Computer Science 1 class although I might miss some lectures class here and there. Besides, in my Computer Science 1 class, my class used to have a Teaching Assistant who are about the same age as college student or maybe graduate student who teach and help to code during lab classes without my professor, therefore, I feel very comfortable asking questions and discuss about everything related to homework and labs. I made an easy "A" in my Computer Science 1 class which is all about C++ programming from Intro to C++, loops, functions, arrays, string, if-else statement, switch statements, structures, etc. I was lost a little while ago with functions and loops but able to catch up during the lab with the great Teaching Assistant. This semester, I am enrolled in Computer Science 2 class and I have a different professor. He began teaching us graphics and I got so lost when he started chapter relating to pointers. After that, I rely solely on my friend to finish my homework and labs. After some time, I am just entirely lost in the class after this frea*ing professor touch on topics like “this->”(wtf is this), overloading operators(just + and - like what we did, wtf!) and why is the "*" always in the program to confuse me(just create a variable already!), just use string or "[]" instead of using "char*" to create an array of char, damn it! Sometimes, during lab, I wanted to ask question from this frea*ing professor, he is not helpful and he don't teach the in lab assignments completely and provide full explanation of the in lab assignment, he teaches halfway and ask everyone to finish it ourselves and also gave us out of lab assignments without completing the in lab assignments. How am I supposed to finish it then? Now, I am completely lost when dealing with in lab assignments because I can't even finish it at all, there are fstream, bla bla bla and I don’t even remember most of them now. I just want to ask if anyone out there also face similar problem or is it just my problem because I am not not hardworking enough or Computer Science is simply not my stuff! The friend who taught me to do the homework and out of lab assignments never attend lectures and he can still catch up with what is happening in class and still able to get “A” in all test. I tried self-learn but I don’t know how because there is not specific answer for the assignments I have and how to solve them. Please tell me what to do! I can’t drop my Computer Science 2 now and doomed to either pass or fail the class. I am not sure about the coming class I am about to take. But to be honest, I feel so much confident during Computer Science 1 class and able to cope although I am not putting 100% effort on it, I thought I am the guy who gets the Computer Science logic and knowledge but now I am not sure about that anymore. Please help!
Last edited on
No one can tell you what is for you, you have to figure it out yourself my friend.
closed account (2LzbRXSz)
Look, if Computer Science is what you want to do, then you'll find a way to make it work. Being self taught can be frustrating, but it's better than just giving up. There are loads of resources out there, and if you'd like I could make a list of a few.

I wouldn't blame computer science entirely, I'd blame the way your professor is teaching it. Assuming he's not a completely closed minded, self righteous fool, try talking to him after class and telling him how you feel. That you don't understand sometimes, and that some of his teaching methods aren't so helpful. If he responds with something like, "But I've been teaching for YEARS and never had this problem!!!!!!" then it's his fault. Constructive criticism is the best kind of criticism. No matter how skilled you think you are, there's always room for improvement.

Now, one of my biggest problems when I started out with programming was I took everything too literally. Sometimes, you need to let go of everything you know, and look at things from a new perspective.

tl;dr:If you really want to be a Computer Science major, stick at it! No reason to just quit because the going got tough. If it's something that is making you unhappy, or is just overall unpleasant, then it's okay to change your mind. You do you, hello111, and good luck!
Last edited on
Holy wall of text xD

Programming is all about self learning, once you get in the field it doesn't stop (it has gotten much more intense as I've gotten deeper into professional development) if you feel lost about some of the more difficult concepts like pointers, just play with them. Understanding why they are used will help a ton.

A pointer is absolutely essential. There are so many reasons to use them, from sending GBs of data to a function without having to make a copy, to using the same variable with different classes to have a generic solution that fits a ton of needs, pointers are your best friend. Maybe what you need is to visit a place where programmers are to figure out if that's what you want to do. Now computer science isn't only programming, of course, maybe there's something else you would enjoy more? If that sentence fills you with dread then stick with it.
ultifinitus wrote:
Programming is all about self learning,

Couldn't agree more. You have to keep expanding what you know, and teaching yourself new stuff because let's face it - a tutorial or a teacher can't possibly prepare you for everything you'll encounter.

Plus, everyone ends up developing their own programming styles, believe it or not. Sort of like an art style, but with syntax and how different minds approach different problems.
Last edited on
If you have a Skype I could invite you to the C++ Benders group. It's a nice group that helps beginners get familiar with C++ and other languages.
As others have stated, programming is about self-learning. Most of the things you learn from in a classroom won't stick since it is mostly watching a professor step through code to show how it works or something of the like. It only begins to stick once you are coding the stuff yourself and seeing it work.

Additionally, if you are second-guessing yourself about choosing computer science to study then odds are it may not be for you. If you don't get excitement - or occasionally an overwhelming source of joy - from seeing your code compile, or find yourself losing track of time while working, then programming not be the best area to study since you will have to spend a ton of time in front of the computer coding to become decent at it.
As others have stated, programming is about self-learning

its about a lot more than that.

Most of the things you learn from in a classroom won't stick since it is mostly watching a professor step through code to show how it works or something of the like. It only begins to stick once you are coding the stuff yourself and seeing it work.

there are plenty of people that have learned to code properly from just being in a class room.

Additionally, if you are second-guessing yourself about choosing computer science to study then odds are it may not be for you.

what makes you say that? its perfectly fine to second guess what you want to do. i do on an almost daily basis, but keep coming back to programming

If you don't get excitement - or occasionally an overwhelming source of joy - from seeing your code compile, or find yourself losing track of time while working, then programming not be the best area to study since you will have to spend a ton of time in front of the computer coding to become decent at it.

not neccesary one bit to enjoy programming.
You have to also find what about programming you like and what makes you happy. It can be something as obvious as syntax, or problem solving. What made you want to go into computer science?
It can be something as obvious as syntax, or problem solving

if you want to get into computer science, syntax shouldnt be as major a factor as problem solving. that should play a very small part
Thank you all for your kind replies.
I will figure it out myself.
:)
Little Bobby Tables wrote:
syntax shouldn't be as major a factor as problem solving.

I know, but personally I only started learning Ruby for the syntax, and that was the main thing I liked about it. That's an example of enjoying syntax.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.