Favorite Role Playing Game.

What is your favorite role playing game and why?(graphics, story, specific game elements, battle system.) I'm starting the initial stages of developing one(belive me I know, it's an arduous task) and would like to know what the community's favorite parts of their favorite RPG.
My favourite RPG is the roguelike Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup because:

-Grinding is reduced.
-Decisions in the game are often interesting
-There is no point in the game at which you achieve 'immortal status' (you can always mess up and die).
-The game has a high skill / low luck factor.
-Many characters and races to choose from.
-Optional routes to game completion.
That would probably be Baldur's Gate 2.

- Lots of possibilities when creating your character.

- Combat system in general, but especially when it comes to magic. Unlike most other RPG games I played, using magic is not limited to just casting smaller or larger fireballs (an exaggeration but I hope you know what I mean). Spell system is complex and there's lots of strategy involved. The consequence of this is that high-level mages are VERY powerful.

- The game is not easy and forces you to think. The approach of "I'll just swing my sword" won't get you far. That being said, once you know this game well, the challenge is mostly gone, but then there are mods such as SCS which makes the enemies MUCH more intelligent. (Fighting high-level mages or liches with SCS installed is a completely new experience, you really need to know what you're doing or you will die a quick and painful death.)

- Epic battles.

- Then there's the story and all that, which is quite good but nothing exceptional.

- Did I mention battles?
Fallout 3 is my fav ever :D The interesting characters, cool weapons, engaging plot, interesting missions and simply the gameplay in general are epic!
My favorite single-player RPG is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It's the huge open-world, free form exploration, tons of NPC's, quests, dungeons, and other interesting things to discover. The game doesn't hold your hand at all and the mechanics can be exploited to make it as easy or difficult as you wish. I've never been so absorbed in a game as I have with Morrowind, and I doubt I ever will again.

My favorite online RPG is Guild Wars and it still makes me sad that its glory days are over. Some of my favorite gaming moments came from GW: like going into elite areas like the Underworld and Urgoz' Warren with my guild, having no idea what to expect, getting party wiped in minutes, and then going back and theory-crafting team builds and rethinking our strategy until we finally succeeded.
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
I haven't really played many games for the last 6 years. Seems like after I hit 21 life just got far too interesting to sit in front of a console. My game now is tackling seemingly huge and challenging projects that require sleepless nights of modeling, budgeting, and eventually execution. I'm gonna be that crazy eccentric old man in the neighborhood with all the best toys* if I live that long.

The best part of winning is that people don't really believe what you've done until you whip out the results. Then the look on their face is priceless.

*including a human catapult, racing OC3 dozer, custom flatbeds, personal auto lift, 50s simplicity 2010/2012 hybrid tractor, and dozens of less iconic projects.

Life counts as a RPG depending on how you look at it, eh?
Last edited on
Persona 3/4 are fun. Good plot/characters, although the pacing is pretty bad at some points, battle system is simple, but still fun and interesting.

My favourite RPG is the roguelike Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Maybe I'll check that out...sounds fun.
My favorite RPG is probably Borderlands 2, only because it was so light on the RPG elements. I find it rather difficult to wrap my head around bigger RPGs like Skyrim/Fallout. Borderlands 2 had a huge, detailed world, with enemys around every corner waiting for me to sink my bullets into their skin, amazing characters and story and great co-op elements. The loot and stats system is really fun to play around with as well without confusing me.
Infinity engine classics:
- Baldur's Gate Saga -> great story
- Planescape Torment -> original, deep story! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t9N2LH90R4 )
- Icewind Dale saga

- Divine Divinity <- overlooked gem
- Fallout 2 (fallout 3 and vegas were ok, but not as good as 2 for me)

New cRPGs:
- Mass effect saga - very cinematic
- Divinity: Original Sin -> currently playing and loving it

TODO:
- pillars of eternity
- Torment: Tides of Numenera ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coWnxfSFtKk ) - successor to Planescape Torment
Last edited on
Divinity Original Sin is a lot of fun. A friend and I have been playing through it when we both have time. Does very little hand holding, so it provides you the freedom to really do what you want, with real consequences.

That being said, it can also be extremely challenging if you don't build your characters right. Our first attempt at characters were pretty poor, we didn't really understand what exactly each stat effected so we just winged it. We pretty quickly hit a difficulty wall at the first real boss. So we decided to re-roll (after probably 6 hours of playtime already) and now our characters are much better off. At first I was really dreading re-rolling and replaying the first part of the game, but it ended up to be well worth it.

To summarize, it's a solid game if you like in-depth RPGs with a ton of freedom. It has some nice humor and takes place in an interesting world. There are enough stats and feats that you can make a character to fit any play style imaginable.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.