Do you think there is life out there?

Pages: 1234
Lets just say, where there is water there is life. There is frozen water on many planets, and there is some on PLuto or one very close if I'm not mistaken? Well, beneath the icy surface it is almost inevitable there will be liquid water. The creatures may be very similar to our own deep sea creatures but with adaptations that allow them to live in near complete darkness and freezing cold water temp.

dat troll face do
There is hot water circulating under the ice on one of Saturn's moons. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-03/12/enceladus-hot-water

I think we are going to discover simple (unicellular) life-forms and especially self-replicating particles such as viruses and prions, which we generally don't consider alive, are fairly common in the universe, perhaps occurring on several extra-terrestrial bodies in our own solar system in the current centry; but complex, and especially intelligent (as we define it), life is probably extremely rare, and I doubt we will make physical contact with sentient aliens in this millennium, if ever. (Always assuming we survive this millennium, although I expect humanity to last a long time, as we have just the right combination of ingenuity and adaptability to move around the galaxy leeching planets dry. And I don't see us running out of planet-hosts to parasitise any time soon. I like reading those stories about alien races meeting humans, presuming us weak, and then being destroyed by humans motivated by pure spite to fight to the brink of extinction -- experiments have already shown that humans will usually choose spite over profit in situations such as dividing $100 between two parties, where person A decides the split and person B rejects (in which case no-one gets any money) or accepts it (in which case they each get the agreeed amount): the rational thing to do is always accept because you never stand to gain from rejecting, but persons B almost always reject when they feel the division is unfair, choosing spite over self-interest.)
With Saturn being made of gas, have we expelled the idea of gas organisms? Life beings that are made of gas and use that to feed on things, living of nitrogen or maybe even liquid nitrogen.
There are traces of frozen water on Saturn, these gas peeps could e chomping that up as we speak. The point I'm trying to make is the universe is (according to red shift) always expanding and with a universe so ig, having not even fully explored our galaxy we can never be sure until we have searched every inch of every planet that there is no life.
Infinite does sort of imply all possibilities.

One possibility is that we're alone in the whole universe and the second possibility is that we're not. Only one possibility is able to exist at the time, so infinity doesn't imply all possibilities.

Division by 0 yields everything, not just 'infinity'.

Are you sure? If i remember correctly it'd be sth like that:
a > 0
a / 0 = ∞

b < 0
b / 0 = -∞

0 / 0 = everything
As for walking and talking humans? It seems like we're alone, but even if we're not I doubt we'll ever have a way of finding out.
a > 0
a / 0 = ∞

b < 0
b / 0 = -∞

0 / 0 = everything

Maths confuses my brain at school, I do not come on here to be even more f'd up in the head..... lol
Maths confuses my brain at school, I do not come on here to be even more f'd up in the head..... lol

I'm completely different, I have Pythagorean theorem at my school and I cannot wait to learn about complex numbers, trigonometric functions and other more advanced stuff.

I'm completely different, I have Pythagorean theorem at my school and I cannot wait to learn about complex numbers, trigonometric functions and other more advanced stuff.

Lol, I was joking, I love maths and physics. We did Pythagorean theorem and trig earlier this year, doing quadratics right now. Maths if probably my favourite lesson then computer studies and P.E and then physics. Like you, I cannae wait for the more challenging advanced stuff, hate it when its just doing something you can do easily.
I don't know how education looks in your country, but in mine we're going to have linear function next year, so sin, cos and so on is probably going to be in 2, 3 years. Also I'll have short multiplication formulas (it might be literal translation, I mean (a + b)2) in 2 years, I think, so I'll have to suffer a little bit for now.
suffer a little bit for now.

I don't envy you haha. I'm in year 9 set 1 so we get to do all the YEar 11 stuff now. Challenging but great fun!
I'm in year 9 set 1 so we get to do all the YEar 11 stuff now.

That doesn't tell me anything. In my country we've got primary school for six years, then secondary school for 3 years (I'm in the second year here, I can assume you're one year older than me), then high school which takes 3 years and finally studies. At least my maths teacher teaches me about multiplication formulas and other advanced stuff.
Where I am I'm in the three tier system, Primary for 4 years excluding reception (kindergarten) Middle school for 4 years and then 3 years of further education at a different school and then onto college or sixth form and then uni.
I'm in year 9 set 1

So you're in first year of further education? And what do you mean by set 1?

BTW I don't think we should post it here, as it's called post hijacking. Maybe we'll move to some chat or use pm?
It's hard to post-hijack when he's the OP of the thread.
Aye we probably should lol.
Moving it back to the subject topic, does anyone think we're going to meet other intelligent life in the next century?
does anyone think we're going to meet other intelligent life in the next century?

No.

I'm almost certain there is intelligent life out there somewhere. The universe is just too damn big for there not to be.

And I'm also almost certain we'll never meet it. The universe is just too damn big (and spread out) for it to happen.
what if "they" know how to get through a wormhole??? Distance won't matter then...
What if there is an invisible alien sitting right next to me...??....???.....

Ohh shheeet
Last edited on
what if "they" know how to get through a wormhole??? Distance won't matter then...

Size still matters.

Finding intelligent life in the universe is like finding a specific grain of sand on a beach. The sheer volume of sand makes it very difficult to find what you're looking for.

Even if you can traverse great distances in a short time, Earth is just 1 planet of 43,200,000,000,000,000,000+ known planets. They'd be hard-pressed to find us in that.
Pages: 1234