Can you do any type of game in C++?

I'm planning and very interested in learning game dev. I'd like to do it in C++. I love C++ very much even if it sometimes causes my brain to bleed. BTW, I have no idea how game dev works. Which book should I buy, a book that focuses solely in game dev concept (no source code discussion) OR book that discusses game dev on specific language (on C++)?

I would like to learn how to do 2D game, like earlier Pokemon games, in C++.

Can you do any type of game in C++?
The C++ language provides basic facilities for computer programming: the STL (just a library of standard objects to make your life a bit easier), standard input, standard output, and basic file-handling capabilities. Everything else must be created.

So, the answer to your question is: absolutely. You can do anything in C++. From robotics, to game developement, to writing a computer operating system.

So, since C++ doesn't provide much outside of a basic general programming framework for basic input and output, everything else must be provided. What this means is you have two options: You can write the code yourself (bad idea: takes a lot of time, and adds to maintenance), OR you can use a third party library. Most people choose the latter fo the two.

So, if you want to get started, find a good graphics library (SFML comes to mind), and make sure to find a library that can intercept and process keyboard events. What you really want is a library that's "cross-platform", meaning it runs on all of the most commonly used operating systems (OSx, Linux, and Windows).
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.