A new month, a new OS

Microsoft just announced that windows 7 or 8 users can get a free upgrade for window 10. There is a app in the right-hand taskbar that will allow you to get a free update of windows 10! This is LEGIT!
It allows you to reserve it come July. Then again, this isn't really new info- the free update's been known about for months now.
Can't help but notice here in the UK as it's made the national press (as I assume it has elsewhere):

Windows 10 release date: Microsoft offers free upgrade from July 29
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/11642775/Windows-10-free-to-download-from-July-29.html

Microsoft's much-anticipated Windows 10 operating system will be available from July 29, the company has stated.

Microsoft customers running Windows 7 or 8.1 can upgrade to the new system from free from the end of July, across 190 countries.

And...

Microsoft has said that this will be the last-ever version of the Windows operating system in its known form, with future upgrades being rolled out like OS X for Mac.

But there are some caveats:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/features

Windows 10 is a free upgrade, for a limited time, for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices (including devices you already own). It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page.

So if you treated yourself to a copy of the Enterprise Edition of Windows 8...

Andy
Last edited on
I have to admit, I'm afraid to upgrade to 10.

I'm happy with Windows 7 Professional.
And I can't stand 8.

And, it's not like I'm planning to use my desktop on the subway or at the park or anything.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I'm very impressed with Windows 10. I've been running it on two test machines for a while now.
What is there that's particularly good about it? And how difficult is it to transition from windows 8.1 to windows 10 (without touchscreen)?
What is there that's particularly good about it?
For me, it doesn't annoy the s**t out of me the way Windows 8 does and for an operating system that is very important to me.

Yes, but why does it not annoy the s**t out of you? Has it gone back to a more windows 7 like feel, I only ask so I can get unbiased opinions of people who have used it rather than biased opinions of people who make it.
While I can say that I like the way Windows is going (ignoring 8), I can't really express why. I was quite expecting to hate it but I find myself looking into switching to a Windows phone and maybe getting a Surface 3 to play with.
While I am looking forward to the UI enhancements and better responsiveness, I personally cannot wait until I can get my hands on the new graphics APIs that it will expose along with the programming tools that will target it in the future.

I am seriously considering buying quite a few Microsoft devices and I might begin messing around with Windows Store development!
Avilius wrote:
While I am looking forward to the UI enhancements and better responsiveness, I personally cannot wait until I can get my hands on the new graphics APIs that it will expose along with the programming tools that will target it in the future.

Are you talking about DirectX 12?
Yes, along with other things that will be released, such as Visual Studio 2015 and the possibility of universal apps.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.