• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Windows 10 is free, should I install it?

Windows 10 is free, should I install it?

Pages: 12
Hello all! I just wanted to talk about the new Windows 10 release. My laptop is Windows 8.1 and I just received a Windows 10 offer for free.

So what do you think? do you think Windows 10 is better than Windows 8.1?
Last edited on
Oh, it hasn't released yet. It'll release in July. You can reserve the free update, is all.
Last edited on
I think Windows XP is better than 8.1, unless you have a touch screen.
I'll try it out, but I'm not about to blow away my current installation and hope that I like it.
I think windows xp is better than 8 also... even on a touchscreen pc...
Windows 10 gets rid of the metro screen and instead sticks it on the start menu, I think a fair bit of the mobile oriented stuff is toned down although I don't know for certain. Win10 is also rumoured to be friendlier to gaming although again I don't know the validity of that.
I've just ordered an SSD to upgrade my system so I reckon I'll put it on that while keeping Win7 on HDD just in case. If I decide it's no good I'll be removing it and transferring Win7 to the a SSD.

Fancy getting yourself a new drive? :D
I have win8.1 and I am going to upgrade to win10. I have my recovery disks for 8.1 so If I don't like 10 I'll just reinstall 8.1. That's the best idea if you ask me. Just burn some recovery disks then install 10. Reinstalling 8.1 wasn't hard last time I did it, I doubt it would be hard a second time.
Last edited on
Anyone know if it's possible to get the updater to install fresh to another drive instead of "updating" the current OS? Otherwise it's gonna be a real pain getting it into another drive as I'll put Win7 on and it'll have to do 300+ updates first before it'll let Win10 be put on it
If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to do a clean install, so you could always put it in a separate partition.

As far as I am aware, you have the choice to install via Windows Update, or download and install at your own convenience (most likely in iso format like they did with Windows 8) - I bloody hope so anyway, I hate upgrading Windows, I prefer to do a fresh clean install.

closed account (EwCjE3v7)
I have not yet got the update, though I was wondering is Windows 10 going to be bloated with unnecessary applications(Amazon, McAfee, games, etc) like when you first got it?
Last edited on
Actually, from what I've read, they're getting rid of lots of applications like that. Even if it does come with things, it's not exactly hard to get on control panel and uninstall them.
Hey guys,
If you guys want to try windows 10 without updating your other OS, than you can install a Virtual Machine. It's what I did (I used VMware workstation). It's ok but for now, I'm gonna stick wth windows 8.1
closed account (13bSLyTq)
Hi,

I have updated all updates yet nothing popped up? Does anyone know the fix?
If you've got all updates and the Get Windows 10 application hasn't appeared in your system tray, launch it from C:\Windows\System32\GWX\GWX.exe where X is the roman numeral for 10.

The Get Windows 10 app appeared on all three computers in my household (mine, sister's, mom's - all Win7) and did not ask for email address. In my case I kept bothering it and it finally did let me force feed it an email address, but it appears that it is not necessary.

The main thing to worry about with an in-place upgrade will be whether everything on your system is still compatible - in my case, I may have to avoid the upgrade:
https://i.imgur.com/rweQewU.png

You can get to that screen via the hamburger menu in the top left.
Last edited on
@LB

Houston, we have a problem :D

I clicked on GWX.exe like you said and its just does do anything nothing pops up on notification either... Any clue?
try the code here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b you do have to replace the second == '0' with =='1', but apart from that, I was having loads of problems and running the code there has solved it.
I haven't got the GWX application, and my computer won't even install KB3035583, wasted about 5 hours of my life total dealing with Microsoft for then to say "you've got 3 choices, try a restore point which probably won't work, reinstall windows, or just hide the update and go without"...

Thanks Microsoft for your time wasting ineptitude.
Why dont you do it online, you can either wait for the app by the clock or do it online

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade
@twiggystardust

Your solution (well...CNET's) was amazing - worked like a charm!

Thank you very much and thanks Cplusplus forum again - for taking time to help me out!
Pages: 12