Worst ISP Experience

My ATT internet has been unable to do things like Google or use Google maps, pull from git repositories, update Linux packages. It's been like this for almost three months. I've had four technicians come out after a basic line check from a phone rep which shows a bad signal from one of two lines.

Every single time a technician comes out, they act like they don't know what to do or what the problem is, even if I explicitly tell them and point to where the problem is. If they finally check the signal strength on the specified line, they claim nothing is wrong with it... but I even called an ATT rep while a technician was in my house. They did the same test, showed the issue, and I even had him talk to the technician on the phone. After having a technician speak with that rep, they then claimed to have a resolution, said they'd be back later that day, then never came back. Calling the technician's personal number, I was told that he was swamped due to local flooding (which was understandable) and then claimed he would be at my house last Saturday... of which I sat around waiting for him to never show up.

All of this originally stems from a transfer from a landline to uVerse Voice. When this transition happened, the installation was botched (of course) and the phone never worked. On top of this, my bandwidth was cut in half. After almost four weeks of that crap, I was finally told that there wasn't enough bandwidth for uVerse Voice to support my internet plan, which was odd given I had been asking for such restrictions explicitly all the time over the span of those four weeks.

On top of that, they wanted to charge me the installation charge for the botched installation (that never even worked) that had to be reversed. Finally getting them to remove the $100 charge for installation (and them insisting I pay the $30 a month fee for uVerse Voice service that never worked), I was okay. That is, until I woke up this morning to magically be able to access my AT&T account and realize that they replaced the $100 charge back onto my bill at last second before my auto pay was triggered. Outraged, I called and apparently I'm getting a $150 discount for the absurdity. I'm unfortunately quite unconvinced that something bad won't happen before then though.

In other words... AT&T has fucked up every single step of the way. There's not a single thing in the past 4 months of AT&T service that has gone right, and I'm not exaggerating. If you have the chance to use a local internet service or something other than AT&T, I would go for it.

What are some of your crappy experiences?
Last edited on
Never really had a crappy one. Did have a magical one, though, where the person walked me through the CMD prompt steps to give him the right info so he could be sure that it was on his end, at which point he reset the DNS server and fixed the issue. There's an XKCD comic on this, except it was no dream for me.
My current internet is wireless from a small local company. In the past year or so they've done some massive upgrades to their towers making it much more reliable, but before that the connection would drop off and on throughout the day for 10-20 minutes at a time. Whenever you'd call and ask them what's wrong they would just say "well that's the nature of wireless internet" or "there's nothing wrong on our end."

Nowadays I'm quite pleased with the service though. My only gripe is that their website has been promising lower price plans along with the upgrades but I've yet to see any change there.
Relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/806/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.