• Forum
  • Lounge
  • I am not asking for codes , just ideas [

I am not asking for codes , just ideas [part I]

closed account (28poGNh0)
Hi everyone

Well this is my story :
Two months ago ,I've been buzzed everyday by an anonymous trying to use my WIFI without my permission and I think he succeed (wifi's light on) ,I gone with changing the password ,no solution .then I learned that my router has a weak ankle - once you got the PIN you'll connect with it lifelong and this PIN revealed with some softwares called river or poly(I dont know the correct names).

Now I think I have only one choice ,buy a new router that does not have a weak ankle .But I dont like this solution , I want to try playing by his roles ..

I know almost all the basics of c++ language ,I also know couple basics of windows programming .and I want him running in the streets naked and screaming every time he even just think to connect to my lovely router with the weak ankle.

so Can you please answer those question of mine :

1 : Can c++ solve my problem (yes/no)
2 : What types of strikes and damage I can achieve using this language (like I heard that I can shutdown its pc) ?
3 : If I succeed to defend myself,is it means that I am haker?

SORRY for boring story
THANKS for reading till end
HOPE for your answers anything is acceptable

NB : If this topic goes against the policy of this website just tell me and I'll delete this topic

Thanks again
closed account (Eybjz8AR)
I don't think c++ will get you anywhere. Just log into your router home page online and see connected devices to the net work or in terminal or command shell type netstat or netstat -an i think and it will show you all connect ips to the network. Then find which device is not yours and get his ip then just contact your internet provider with his ip and sometimes they will do something but most likly he is using a vpn. And c++ wouldn't really help you in this situation.
... get his ip then just contact your internet provider with his ip ...

@ wtlyons: You should revisit that suggestion. The culprit is accessing OP's internet connection through his router. The attacker would only have the internal IP address that OP's router assigned to his device or the externally facing IP address of OP's router. Neither one of these is useful for accomplishing what OP wants.

@ OP: Log onto your router's UI and blacklist his MAC address, if you do not know how to do this then include your router's model and manufacturer in your next post and I will find you some documentation on it. Then disable wireless access to the admin console and stop broadcasting your network ID; again the offer for documentation assistance stands. wtlyons is right, C++ in and of itself will be of limited help here. Pen Testing is at least a four year degree, you're not going to pick it up in an afternoon.
Last edited on
I personally find a whitelist easier (and less problematic) than a blacklist.

Log in to your router and tell it the MACs of the only devices permitted to access it wirelessly. Update, and problem solved.

If your router has a backdoor that can circumvent that, then you need a new router. I recommend an Apple AirPort. http://www.apple.com/compare-wifi-models/

You have no legal standing for revenge, and it is unlikely you'll find any sympathy for his hacking your router, even if it is immoral of him to do it. IANAL, though.
Of course, there are less nefarious ways to get back at the guy. No need to hack his computer, anyway. Just start screwing with him:
http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html
Man-in-the-middle. Steal all his infos.
@ OP: A whitelist requires more hands on upkeep but otherwise is a perfectly valid alternative. It also makes spoofing a MAC address more problematic since they would need to guess one that is on your authorized list so that's another point in the whitelist column for Duoas. I wish to alter my suggestion OP, go with that.

Also, I'm still waiting on that router model please.

Duoas wrote:
I recommend an Apple AirPort.

I've had nothing but trouble with that line. Then again, no one calls me until there is a problem so allow ample room for polarization I guess. Otherwise they are simple enough to setup, even though I hate the UI.
@ wtlyons : Thanks for the reply.

@ ResidentBiscuit : I did not got it .

@ Duoas : You're the best as always.

@ Ispil : I am gonna try to play with that .

@ Computergeek01 :

- I liked your replies very much

- I prefer the whitelisting as Duoas suggest more than the blacklisting ,but I have the most stupid router's UI ,There is no **list even blueList :) or I didnt search right.
This is the UI : http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml

- My router's model is : Technicolor
The image : http://www.speedguide.net/images/hardware/technicolorthomson/td5130/td5130.jpg

- I got the MAC of his(using netcut) : 00.25.22.49.81.ba . I dont know what to do with it.
anybody know anything about this software ,is it good ,or It just makes my pc a good client ?

I did not understand this line :
Then disable wireless access to the admin console and stop broadcasting your network ID

Last edited on
@ OP: Regarding your device, this piece of crap manages to dodge any expectation of being useful by labeling itself as a Wireless Access point and modem or a "wireless gateway", but specifically not a router. This is a problem because we can suspect right away that it isn't going to do anything useful. We can further verify that with the User manual found here: http://help.demon.net/files/2013/03/TG582n-User-Guide.pdf . We can verify that it does not in fact offer MAC address filtering, or really any access control internally. And as if it needed yet another nail in the coffin, more then 50% of the reviews for this thing on Amazon are 1 star and it isn't even sold in the US. If all of that wasn't bad enough, it also isn't supported by OpenWRT (always a last, but still valid, resort): http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/thomson/tg582n . My recommendation is to buy a cheap wireless router. Linksys, TP-Link or NetGear are all good brands otherwise you could go with one the Apple models that Duoas suggested, but as with all Apple products you'll be overpaying for basically the same hardware and features. Then relegate this thing to only being a modem.
...and, once you do buy an actual router and plug it in, make sure you have a hard line to it (an actual computer wire running from the back of your computer to the router itself), log in to it, and:

- Set a (good) password to log in (https://xkcd.com/936/)
- Disable login from anything wireless
- Set wireless to require secure communications (WPA2 at minimum)
- Turn off "broadcast" (which is the default, alas. Broadcasting means that a router is constantly sending out an "I'm here so you can use me!" signal.)
- Create a whitelist. For that you'll need to get all your wireless devices (like your phone) and find it's MAC address, which looks something like 12:34:56:78:9A:BC and add it to the list of devices that are allowed to connect.
- Update

@Ispil
LOL + 1
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Interesting; So Techno01, you post a link to a help page for a TG582n but then say (via the photo) that you have a TD5130...so which one do you have?

I also don't agree with saying it is not a router.

I haven't looked at the user manuals but even the crapy boxes have ways to secure them.

I would probably start with checking for firmware updates, reflash and lock it down as Duoas suggests.
Very Interesting ; So Grey Wolf ,God blast your eyes , But TD5130 and TG582n seem to have the same UI.

@ Duoas : You always amazes me ,I'll try to follow your steps
NB : https://xkcd.com/936/ such a wonderful website.

@ Computergeek01 : Thanks .
The UI was not what I was thinking about, different hardware may give you different options in settings or even replacing the firmware altogether as Computergeek01 intimated.

I'm pretty sure that in the setting of your router Click Home Network > Interfaces > WLAN and then click configure in the top right you should the see some of the things people have been talking about.

Broadcast Network Name, MAC Filter ...
Well well well ,very very Interesting ; So Grey Wolf ,God blast your mind ,with your help I can now Broadcast on/off my Network Name (and I feel stupid so stupid .[ It was in my mouth ,but I kept looking in the dishes © ^-^ ]) . I'll wait till he logs in! to try a new thing.

But about MAC Filter ,I didnt find anything about it ,maybe I have a different hardware like you said ..

One last things ,What's the difference between software and firmware because they look the same to me ?

Thanks a lot @Grey Wolf and everyone else ,Hope you honor me at the part 2 of this topic ,called I am asking for codes and ideas [part II]
But about MAC Filter ,I didnt find anything about it ,maybe I have a different hardware like you said ..
There is usually a page that gives you all the info of your router, Model number, hardware version, firmware version, etc. I'm going of a vague memory of a Thompson TD5130 that I looked at for a colleague. It is sometimes a case of hunting around for the settings, I once had a router that didn't show you anything really useful until you when down several levels of menu to find the enable advanced options menu (this was not documented).

One last things ,What's the difference between software and firmware because they look the same to me ?
In a broad sense, firmware is software designed to be ran out of ROM, is semi-permanent, is tied more directly to the hardware and updated less often. It forms part of the core operation of the device.
I am gonna look for It , Thanks a lot Mr Grey Wolf , Great explanations you have.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.