C++ programming advice

closed account (i8bjz8AR)
Hi guys, I attend University and just a beginner to programming. I'm in discrete math and computer science 1. So far discrete math is going well, as I aced my first test and following the logic very well. However computer science 1 is going alright. I love coding and trying to debug and programming so far in general, but I did have some trouble on my first exam, getting a 65/100 (d-). Some kids in my class have been programming since high school and I do not have this experience. My only concern is learning the material to get through this class and to move onto computer science 2 next semester. My next exam is in two weeks,and I need to do well on it. On our last test, we had multiple choice, a few short answer, and had to write two programs. The programs went well, making only minor mistakes but cost me a few points, but the multiple choice hurt me big time. Exam 2 will cover things from expressions, making decisions, loops and files,functions, arrays, sorting arrays, and we'll probably get into pointers before the exam as well. We have a textbook but it's kind of hard for me to follow. Are there any books on amazon you guys would recommend or have any advice? Not necessarily of practice tests but of basic c++ material that you feel could be beneficial for a beginner? Thanks!
Last edited on
Professors assign reading assignments and expect them to be read. So they LOVE LOVE LOVE to give questions straight from the book. Trust me when I say, just read the book and make notes. Many multiple choice questions are not critical thinking but memorization type questions. So anything like highlighting, making note cards, or just writing important aspects of a section in the book over and over again should help improve your grades.

When I was in college, I hated reading some of the text books because I would read a page and then totally forget what I just read. When that happens, just take a quick little break and get back to reading.
closed account (yR9wb7Xj)
I would have to disagree with this. The the textbook is pretty much the closest thing to help you learn how to program, don't depend on tutorial sites. Because they can only give you so much, plus most tutorial sites are not 100 percent accurate. The text book is the closest thing for accuracy information. Also, when reading your textbook DONT just read just to read it and get it over with. Instead read the text book and actually try to fuck with the code examples given in the book. That will help you get a deeper understanding of the concepts. Reading it once or twice won't help you understand, you have to read multiple times. Memorization is not the key to Acing those multiple choice exams. It's understanding the concepts and applying what you learn that will you help you Ace your exams. The professor assign the reading assignments for A FUCKING REASON, they don't do it to piss you off. They do it because it actually helps in learning the material.
Many C++ textbooks are also poorly written, incorrect, or archaic as well. There was more than one effort to compile a blacklist of C++ textbooks.

Additionally, I would like to point out that "fucking with the code" is not a well-defined operation.

-Albatross
This is the book we had to get for class, which we will use all the way through computer science 2 as well,
 Tony Gaddis
Starting Out with C++ from Control Structures to Objects (8th Edition) 
are there any book recommendations on amazon you would insist on getting for more help?
Last edited on
I learned how to program in C++ from this forum and reading online documentation. Never read a single C++ book (the most I managed to read was a few pages out of the original Bjarne Stroustrup C++ book).

Never took a course in the language ever. If I were you I wouldn't believe 100% of what your instructors say; read critically, think for yourself, and get your hands dirty with programming as fast as you can.
Last edited on
is this at NIU?
closed account (yR9wb7Xj)
@Kdrummz I'm using the same book as you for my computer science 2 class. That book does a great job explaining the concepts etc.
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll do what you all are saying and just get my head in the book and follow those programs that are in the book and highlight important concepts as well.. Would you guys recommend reading the book to catch important information, or how would you go about my problem, the multiple choice questions in which the logic gets tricky? Our book is around 1400 pages.. What's the best way to go about this as I forget stuff I read and don't want to waist time in that aspect
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.