Our tools

Pages: 1234
And how does chrisname know what terminal emulator DrChill was talking about?

Because every Linux that I've ever heard of uses X.org or XFree86. I guess it could be something else, but it's virtually certain that he uses that. I'm fairly sure he uses Ubuntu, which I think is bundled with X.org. As for Bash; well, only Minix still uses the Bourne shell by default AFAIK.

And doesn't "command prompt" refer to the ">", "$", "%" or "#" that tells you "Hey! Type something!"
Personally I think ">" makes the most sense out of those, but a ":" would be better. Something like
username@hostname [ current working directory ]: _
(underscore ('_') is the cursor, if any).

So, technically, what DrChill said was correct.

I suppose; but I interpreted it as him saying that command prompt was a program, not a "shell's state". At the same time, windows' cmd program has command history too, just not that good.
So you're just going to ignore the existence of GNOME Terminal, Konsole, etc.?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_emulator#X_Window_System
Yes.

Edit: I thought Konsole and "Terminal" were based on xterm anyway. I should have been more general.
Last edited on
@littleprogrammer

I use Quincy 2005, not sure if it's good or not(I'm new to all this), but it was the only one I could find on the internet that had a offline install, and was small enough to fit on a my 512mb usb stick(I don't have internet, so I used my friends).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 1234