Our tools

Pages: 1234
code::blocks and visual studio.
@chrisname
When you compile a multiple sourcefile program, do you compile only the updated files or you recompile everything?
In both case, you'll spend more time than you would if you used an IDE.
In the first case, you'll have to type a longer command line, in the latter, you'll have a longer compile time.
What if you need to call some code generators before compiling? You'll have to type even more and you'll have to remember a lot of file names
@chrisname: For some reason I thought by command line/text editor you meant a command line text editor (like vi, emacs).
@bazzy,
Heh. I suppose you've got me there. I probably still won't switch to an IDE. I like using text editors with the command line.

@firedraco,
I use VIM if I need to do something quickly, or if I feel like CTRL-ALT-F1 (TTY1)'ing it; but no, I usually use gedit.

However, I can have unlimited terminals open at once, and only nu err... gedits open (where nu is the number of users I can su as, at the moment: two (myself, and root)) so I could use VIM or Nano. I don't like Emacs.

http://i48.tinypic.com/zsaj9.png
Infinite VIMs!
Last edited on
I prefer Notepad ++ on Windows and Kate at Linux. VIM is also strong, but you must know how to use it.

I think that things work faster with a IDE for help ...
@chrisname: trust me, an IDE is a must when you are dealing with a codebase of 500K - 1M LOC, numerous libraries, etc. When dealing with a single program that has 20K lines, spread across 30-60 files, plus another 20-30 test suites, and dependent on a handful of internally developed libraries, you really want an IDE. The IDE will parse your Doxygen API documentation, give you tooltip help -- necessary because you cannot remember the details of an API that someone else on your team created. Programming in the small (1-2 people, < 4K lines) can be done OK with something like gedit. After that, you really need an IDE.
Half of me feels like accepting your advice, and the other (more head-strong) half is telling me to never use an IDE again just to prove you all wrong.

I'll wait until I decide for myself.
Half of me feels like accepting your advice, and the other (more head-strong) half is telling me to never use an IDE again just to prove you all wrong.
Well, you're being given advice by both older and more experienced people. What to do it is entirely up to you.
I don't know. I'll use an IDE if I feel like it. For now, a text-editor works for me. Maybe I can find an IDE with an xterm embedded in the window somewhere...

Edit:
Ah... screw it, I'll download Eclipse and try that. If not, I'll go back to Code::Blocks.
Last edited on
Whicj is the IDE with the best debugger?
A good IDE should work with any debugger
I use visual studio 2005,its powerful and easy to manage code,but its very sensetive to virus,actual every month i format my pc coz of it,it crash easly.Any other compiler that work in the same ways as vc++?
VC++ 2005 is outdated, the current version is 2008, ( there should also be 2010 beta )
Thanks bro any other out of visual studio?,bcoz its seem to be commercial compiler,i need only small and free compiler which have related sytax to vc++,i found myself dev c++ but its not good,i dont like it
VC++ 2008 has a free 'express' version.
visual studio 2005 [...] is very sensetive to virus
every month i format my pc coz of it
What?

I don't know what you're doing with that computer, but as a general rule, if you're formatting more often than once a year, you're doing something wrong and it has nothing to do with VC++.
I know that but i have no way.I tried to repair system and then visual studio but i get same messege which say"eg.Program Name is not valid win32 application!"when i try to debug(run) my program,but after format and reinstall of vc it work again.Any other way then a do?

I don't know what you're doing with that computer, but as a general rule, if you're formatting more often than once a year, you're doing something wrong and it has nothing to do with VC++.

That last part I agree with, but
if you're formatting more often than once a year, you're doing something wrong

What if you're insane like me and like to install a different operating system every day?
# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 640.1 GB, 640135028736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77825 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x8f800000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1            1212        1403     1535992    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2   *        1403       69332   545643340    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3           69332       73579    34110058+  a5  FreeBSD
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda4           73580       77825    34105995   83  Linux

Until yesterday that was
/dev/sda3 Linux
/dev/sda1 NTFS
/dev/sda2 NTFS
/dev/sda4 Unallocated
It messed with my head. I literally couldn't bear to have a partition table that was out of order (even though in the MBR it's not, just in Linux's view AFAIK). Anyway so I deleted all of them apart from (hd0,0) and (hd0,1) and created (hd0,3) and (hd0,4) anew.
And I can live with it now, it's in order!

But anyway, on the most recent topic of formatting, I've formatted 3 partitions today alone.

I think there's something wrong with my head.
What if you're insane like me and like to install a different operating system every day?
I meant under normal usage. I also said "as a general rule".
I write out my programs with pencil and paper and then type them into the computer using codeblocks on Windows.
Pages: 1234