• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Allowed website useage for studying, ple

Allowed website useage for studying, please.

Hello everyone I have a question for answering: Is a website's information, tutorials, reference, articles, forum, etc., okay for taking notes from? Using copy and paste, etc., for notes for my own use? I would also like to print my notes for studying purposes is this allowed?

Thank you for the help,
Josheir

For example, I would like to use their tables.
Last edited on
Yes, of course, that is the whole reason websites like this exist :)

See also:
http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp
Thank you LB and thank you for the site explanation. I didn't really know what to expect for the answer.

Have a good day,
josheir

Okay, maybe an obvious follow up. Is a website just like a book when considering copyrights? Maybe it can't have four or more words in a row that are the same, must have sources cited, perhaps need permission to use charts and code snippets. All of this to publish both on internet and written, is it correct and complete?

Thank you,
Josheir

Also, are copied notes allowed to be handed out to a group of co-workers?
There is a copyright notification at the bottom of every page on this site (as with most sites), but you're getting into some pretty specific questions that only a lawyer can answer.

However, I really don't think twicker (the site owner) would sue you just because you wanted to learn and teach C++. It should be more than sufficient to just include a link to this website. You could email him if you are required to get written consent, but that's overkill in my opinion.
Last edited on
If you are reproducing the website in any degree, then yes, Twicker will probably want to sic you with some lawyers.

If you just want to use code found on the sites, that is considered fair use / public domain, unless the poster / author indicates otherwise.

I have specifically asked him about an explicit policy about content, but he does not think that is necessary beyond what is in the Privacy policy:

User-provided content

This site includes sections where users can submit their own content. Any information that is disclosed in these sections may become public information accessible by other visitors.

Additionally, code found in the tutorials and FAQ are free to use however you see fit.

Hope this helps.
> Is a website just like a book when considering copyrights?
> Maybe it can't have four or more words in a row that are the same, must have sources cited,
> perhaps need permission to use charts and code snippets.
> All of this to publish both on internet and written, is it correct and complete?
> Also, are copied notes allowed to be handed out to a group of co-workers?

Depends on the site. For instance, cppreference is quite liberal about what you can do with the content of the site.

What can I do with the material on this site?

The content is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA) and by the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) (unversioned, with no invariant sections, front-cover texts, or back-cover texts). That means that you can use this site in almost any way you like, including mirroring, copying, translating, etc. All we would ask is to provide link back to cppreference.com so that people know where to get the most up-to-date content. In addition to that, any modified content should be released under a equivalent license so that everyone could benefit from the modified versions.
http://en.cppreference.com/w/Cppreference:FAQ
Thank you, was just curious.

Josheir
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.