• Forum
  • Lounge
  • How do I research CS trends in video gam

How do I research CS trends in video game emulation + scripting?

I have come up with pretty much the absolute best idea ever which is going to blow minds. The only problem is, I either need to create my own scripting language or implement compatibility with one. I want to do a bunch of research on emulators in general, but also specifically on video game emulators. I want to know which scripting language, if any, has been widely adopted for emulation. Unfortunately, I don't have stats and can't get any. I can't find a site on emulator development that could hint on trends. How do I find this info?
I have come up with pretty much the absolute best idea ever which is going to blow minds.
I doubt it.

I want to do a bunch of research on emulators in general, but also specifically on video game emulators.
In the context of computer science, a emulator is a program capable of reproducing the behavior of a piece of hardware, or which allows software written for one platform to run on another platform. What, then, is a "video game emulator"?

I want to know which scripting language, if any, has been widely adopted for emulation.
Widely adopted? None. You might find a project or two where they decided to use a relatively unorthodox language for fun, but most emulators are written in C/++ and/or Assembly. There's just no CPU time to spare on a complex runtime environment.
A video game emulator is a program which emulates video game hardware, such as these things called "consoles", allowing one to run a console video game on a personal computer. I'd totally understand if you've never heard of them...

Please don't be so condescending unless you'd like others to treat you the same way.

I wasn't referring to an emulator written in a scripting language, I meant a scripting language built into a emulator to provide extra utilities, such as the ability to "rewind" a video game as you're playing it. An example of this is FCEUX's LUA plugin support, where you can download a script to provide such capabilities. An example of FCEUX running a pacman script commonly used for cheating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2SreUns1y8
I think my reply was jerkish, but I contend that it wasn't really condescending. I can be condescending, if you'd like.

Clever people like me, who talk loudly in restaurants, call those "console emulators", since what they emulate is the consoles, not the games that run on the consoles. Surprising though it might be, the computer and its software are actually distinct things.

The answer is probably still "none". That feature seems rather unusual.
Someone already beat you to the punch. Look into "Bizhawk" which is the emulator used by the community that makes TASs of games. Already includes Lua scripting and a "rewind" ability.

http://tasvideos.org/BizHawk.html

You can click the "features" option to see.
Last edited on
I've already seen that, awesome eh? I haven't been beaten yet, because I'm asking about the stats of which emus use scripting, not that I was going to make an emu myself. LUA seems to be king so far, but I'd like some more insight.
Helios, please, one more bad reply and I'm reporting you. Enough is enough.
Hm. Well, I'm torn here. I want to tell you where you can put your report for all I care, but I don't feel it's deserved in this instance. Could you restate your warning in a more dickish manner so I can tell you off properly?
Oh, my bad. Sorry for hurting your delicate feelings, but I'm afraid I must hurt you further. Now, this may not be for this particular forum, but I personally believe that this article deserves some attention: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/forum_etiquette
http://tasvideos.org/LuaScripting.html

"Snes9x was the first emulator modified to support Lua, back in 2008. Now, the following emulators support Lua: FCEU(X), BizHawk, lsnes, Snes9x, Gens, VBA, Final Burn Alpha, PCSX, DeSmuME, PCEjin, VBjin, and JPC-RR.".

Not sure if this is exactly what you are asking though. As for looking up info about each one I'm sure the name of the emulator + "Lua scripting" will get you pretty far. Lua is easily the most popular scripting language for emulators.
Last edited on
That's actually exactly what I was looking for, how'd you find this? Are there other common scripting languages?
RealGiganitris, there are no common scripting languages for emulation. They use Lua for TAS purposes only. I don't really understand what you're asking for.
I know, but it's very hard to find the words that I'm looking for. Is LUA the most popular language for TAS? Are there other popular languages? I think that's a better question.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.