Why is this site so slow?

I've been using this site for few years. Now I'm not a all-time user, I tend to take breaks, but the last time I was here the site was still looking good. Now every time I want to post something, I need to wait a few seconds before the post gets sent. Why is that? Is something wrong with the website?

PS. Other thing I noticed is that length counter doesn't work when creating a new topic.
PPS. Oh, and when trying to post a post that exceeds the maximum length, I get informed that I am exceeding the maximum length(of 9000), whereas length counter states that maximum=8192. Guys?
Last edited on
The wait time when posting could be spam prevention. I guess most people wouldn't notice an occasional couple second delay when posting since it isn't that frequent of an operation. I personally didn't notice until you brought it up, actually.

As for that other inconsistency, I'd use the contact link at the bottom to report it since that is a bit of a UX issue.
Navigating the site has been slow for over a year. Not sure why.
Sometimes I find the adverts take awhile to load (or fail to load), and this even has the effect of not being able to reply to a small number of topics.
I also have noticed the slowness over the past year, and have no explanation. Maybe the server needs to download more RAM?
http://downloadmoreram.com/
Last edited on
So you want to know why a website is slow do you? Open up the developer toolbox in your web browser, F12 on Windows, and refresh the page. YMMV, but for me the majority of load time is due to scripting elements on the page by an order of magnitude in fact. To further verify what TheIdeasMan has observed, the scripts that consistently take the longest to load are titled things like "show_ads_impl.js" and "pubads_impl.js" and so on; so advertising is at least part of the reason for the lag. Considering what Twicker charges for us to use his site, I think we can overlook this inconvenience.

But wait, let's dig a bit further shall we? What does our old friend tracrt\traceroute tell us about good old www.cplusplus.com? Let's see, after bouncing all over New York state on Time Warners backbone, I am shot off to Sweden for god only knows what reason, I hit three end points there and then get sent back to Newark New Jersey, which is the state where this site is hosted btw, but then I get sent all the way out to Canada, I think it's Quebec in fact, before returning to the OVH hosting company in Newark. Given that level of tomfoolery, I think we can blame the weird ass routing for some of the trouble as well. Is any of that weirdness Twickers fault? Let's find out! nslookup pulls down his DNS record and shows me zero redirects, so our gracious webmaster is absolved of any blame for this as well.
Last edited on
That traceroute is not so bad, considering the pings I send to cplusplus.com average to 55ms. I have an adblocker installed, so the slowest part of the page loading for me is just fetching main.js. It takes over 8 seconds on average for main.js to load for me.
I use Google Contributor, so I see pictures of cats instead of advertisements, but that still seems to cause overhead. I'd rather have a slow ad-supported site than a fast site that gets shut down from not being able to pay its bills.
I had not noticed this before, but my arch linux box consitently loads this site almost instantly. I only have problems with slowness on my windows machines. Yet another reason to advocate linux, I suppose.
Or maybe it's just that the site is being really fast today. It seems much faster for me, anyway.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.