How is cplusplus forum being hosted?

Hello guys,
I am wondering how this C++ forum is being hosted fully 24/7/365. It has been 8 years and the forum is still good and running, to my surprise. Even my previous computer could not live up to 8 years.

* Where exactly is this forum hosted?
* What makes this forum special? Will the forum run out of disk spaces just because new posts are added everyday?
* Was this forum programmed mainly by C++? Is so, that is amazing.
* Does admin have to pay for maintainence cost? Was he the one who did all coding for this forum?

Sorry for my stupid questions but I am just a 16-year-old teenager and I am trying to learn. Thank you very much.
Where exactly is this forum hosted?

Depends on the experience of the user. Could be hosted by some random hosting site where you pay monthly or yearly. He could have it hosted off a PC running Linux right at his house. He could be using Windows even. I could get an old desktop, install a Linux distro, then set up a site just like this one and all I would end up paying for is the domain name.
What makes this forum special?

Dedicated users.
Will the forum run out of disk spaces just because new posts are added everyday?

The posts don't really take up that much space.
Was this forum programmed mainly by C++?

You can use C++ for CGI, but forums are usually PHP, Javascript, CSS, HTML, and MySQL (or variant there of).
Does admin have to pay for maintainence cost?

I would imagine nothing or very minimal if anything.
Was he the one who did all coding for this forum?

Yes, I believe the entire site is coded by the admin.
Last edited on
It has been 8 years and the forum is still good and running, to my surprise. Even my previous computer could not live up to 8 years.

Are you sure that it has been up non-stop? It could have very short maintenance breaks occasionally and we probably would not notice.

Some OS releases do get updates for quite a while and thus maintain "same" environment for a forum software. For example, RHEL 5 was released in 2007 and has support to next Spring.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux

Virtualization. The Forum can be on an Virtual Machine (VM). On some setups you can migrate a VM from physical one host to another without interruption. That way you can replace hardware before it breaks.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
If my Firefox plugin, Flagfox, is accurate, the server for the forum is located in Canada.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
167.114.170.15 - Geo Information

IP Address: 167.114.170.15
Host: cplusplus.com
City: Montr�al, QC H3A
Organisation: OVH Hosting
ISP: OVH Hosting

https://www.ovh.com
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.