Hello World, cozySam is here!

closed account (j60jNwbp)
Hello world!

New guy here! I can't really say that I have any prior programming experience. I am hoping to change that soon enough. I have used computers for more than half my life but I never learned to program. I have a general understanding of what it's about and I know some of the fundamentals already. I have dabbed a little bit in JS, PHP, Python and Java. But I can't say I'm fluent in any of them.

I have decided to learn a general purpose language and learn it well. I have decided to start with C++. I think it's as good a language as any. I know some people are of a different opinion and would probably advise me to take up Python. That's the problem with people, they are full of opinions! Or to quote Voltaire: "Opinions have caused more ills than the plague or earthquakes on this little globe of ours." However, I am serious about learning to program and I don't mind if it takes me several years.

So what can you tell me about yourself? What's your story? What can you tell me about this site? Who operates this site? How did it come to existence?

I just thought I would come here and present myself. The Longe seems like a good place for this.

// New user initialized.
Hi Sam, welcome to the forum.

C++ is actually my first and only language. The reason people repeat the "C++ probably shouldn't be your first language" mantra is because C++ doesn't hold your hand and therefore might dissuade potential newcomers to the programming world, but I think you can learn anything if you really want to.
I've been programming exclusively in C++ for almost a decade and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

As for this site, it's pretty unique. If you have a question and want to start a new thread, it helps to know how to use code-tags and other formatting options. Take a look here:
http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/jEywvCM9/

Asking proper questions, posting formatted code and any potential compiler errors will make it so much more likely that others will want to help you. It might not seem like much, but a polished post makes all the difference between an abandoned thread and a lively discussion.

Finally, it's a good idea to copy your post to your clipboard before you submit it. In my experience, if you take too long to write your post and submit it, the page will time-out and your post will be gone - if you have your post copied on your clipboard you can simply try again and paste and submit.
@cozySam

Yeah, go straight ahead and learn C++!

People might say C++ are not good for beginners for many reasons but because of this you will have a MUCH easier time learning other languages and develop good programming habits.

Answers to your questions:

> So what can you tell me about yourself?
I started taking interest in computers around 5th grade and liked the idea of hacking. I know... I knew nothing...

> What's your story?
In 5th grade I dabbled in batch scripting (Windows way of automating commands on the terminal and a few more features). I created a program that allows you to choose which website you want to go in, addition calculator numbers 1-10, etc. I started getting more into programming in middle school. I attempted to get into HTML, Javascript, Python. Went the farthest into HTML but didn't make it. Javascript I was totally lost. Python I got into variables if else some fundementals but failed again. Then finally I got into C++. Before I thought it was impossible. But I kept learning and trying. So now I can write my own programs and know most of the fundementals of C++. Of course not all of the libraries there's so many! I am now currently reading a book on C++ and programming in it to improve my skills.

> What can you tell me about this site?
The admin. He programmed this site by himself. Pretty impressive.

> Who operates this site?
The admin alone. Again impressive.

> How did it come to existence?
The admin probably wanted to help people learn C++ and wanted to create a reference site for C++. A good one too since it is updated to C++11 standard.
Last edited on
People might say C++ are not good for beginners for many reasons but because of this you will have a MUCH easier time learning other languages and develop good programming habits.

This is what I was told as well, partly why I began with C++, and I have to disagree SLIGHTLY in that. I'm no expert on C++, it's far and away my strongest language, and while it has certainly made learning Python significantly simpler (for the OCW MIT CS courses), it's hard to argue that knowing any other language wouldn't have aided just as well, if that makes sense.

Granted, other languages (often) don't let you go poking around next to the metal, so knowing C++ or another similar language puts you at an advantage, but as far as learning fundamental programming practices in general, I don't know if I could say you'd be any better with C++ over any other language as far as learning beyond your first language is concerned.

All that aside OP, I LOVE C++ (for the most part), and it's completely possible to learn it first. It's maybe a bit more in-depth, but nothing that can't be overcome.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.