Visual C++ On USB

Pages: 12
Is it possible to install a form of Vis C++ or any other program that i can use to expand my code when I'm away from my own computer

I would prefer to use a form of Visual C++ on the usb device and the biggest device's i have are 5 USB Sticks 1x 1GB, 2x 2GB, and 2x 4GB.
It's certainly possible to install g++ on a 1 GB stick, along with a cross-platform IDE.

As for Visual C++ eh... I don't know. I wouldn't, would I?

-Albatross
I'm fairly sure that Visual C++ has some registry keys that are set upon installation that are required for it to work correctly. Also, I don't recall seeing an option for the location of where it should be installed to.

I know wxDev-C++ has a mobile version. It's not pretty, but hey, it works.
maybe it's possible for the compiler but not the IDE.

an alternative is Code::Blocks which can be portable, i use it myself
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_make_Code::Blocks_portable.3F
Last edited on
Code::Blocks is neat. NetBeans is also recommended, but I don't know if you can port that around on Windows...

-Albatross

EDIT: Post 137 and counting.
Last edited on
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
+1 Code::Blocks

Another alternative is Eclipse with the CDT plugin and MinGW compilers, but that requires that whatever computer you run it on also has a Java Runtime.
as far as i know, Eclipse has its own java runtime environment.
@ Albatross is g++ for linux or is it the same as c++ for win??? like do i have to relearn all this over again or can i use the exact commands like

#include <__________> // whatever i want like iostream, cmath, ctime, etc...
user namespace std;

int main ();
// and the rest of my code(s).
g++/gcc is the GNU Compiler Chain for C/C++. It is not a separate programming language. So no, there is effectively nothing to relearn as far as writing code is concerned.

g++ is the C++ compiler included in GC- ah. jRaskell beat me to it by a long shot. It's an excellent compiler: fast, cross-platform, and I just love it.

There is a g++ port for Windows. Check it out.
http://www.mingw.org/

-Albatross
ok i will look for that program now and i will check out that site thanks guys
i installed dev++ on the usb 2gb its an allright program but i like the look and feel of vc++ 2008 but when im on the go this will have to work. thanks for the help guys
dev-c++ is old, i really suggest code::blocks. it has a better look and feel and plugins.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
If you're going to use dev-c++ you should at least use wxDev-C++...at least this one's still under active development.

http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/

It's a fork of the old Dev-C++ and is much much better.
Last edited on
ok i am still looking for better programs but devc++ does work for now thanks for the help guys
devc++ comes with a compiler which does not support all C++ features
I seriously recommend MinGW and Code::Blocks. Code::Blocks doesn't LOOK as neat as VC++ 2008, but it has almost all the features.

-Albatross
IMO configuring CodeBlocks is much easier than VC++
One thing I dislike about VC++: Configuring command line arguments is really annoying.
@ Bazzy: Thanks for the info.
@ Albatross: is MinGW & Code::Blocks linux downloads only cuz if they are i won't beable to use it?
@ Bazzy: what is 'IMO' and thanks for saying that codeblocks is easyer then VC++
@ Firedraco: please explain what you mean by command line arguments

Thanks again guys
Pages: 12