Where from did your C++ journey start?

Pages: 1234
the Linus
I'm sorry?
Sorry, Linus Torvalds, I couldn't resist the temptation to compare you to the cartoon character. :)

EDIT: Was that too abstract?

-Albatross
Last edited on
Albatross wrote:
Just make sure the Linus is wearing a Windows T-shirt, and you should be fine.
Haha, I thought that was amusing.
Well, I first heard of C++ in fourth grade, then about two years ago I started learning C++. (I am currently 12)
Amazing how young some people are when they start programming. I didn't start C++ till I was 18. I was 17 when I was doing VB and before that I had spent a couple of years on action script, JavaScript and html. Now I'm full time C++ with my studies, I've had some C# with XNA thrown into my course last year. And I wrote some applications in Java the year before last. I'm 22 now though so I have been programming C++ on and off for 3 years.
Oh, wow. Our birthdays are just three days apart and we started both C++ and programming in general at around the same times.
Last edited on
No, you were born on the 29th of February so you only age on leap years.
You're actually 51/2.
I first attended an intro to java programming at school (not computer science course) when I was 19 then I started to like it. Of course every teacher and book always mention that java is base on c++. After finishing the semester, I decided to learn c++ on my own since it is not offered on the course I'm taking.

So I go to the library then borrow a book and and surf the web. Since I don't have internet connection at home at that time, I feel so lucky when I found a tutorial on this site available for download.

So I read and code on my free time but on about 2 weeks I suddenly stop it. On november of 2009 I joined this forum to continue c++. I am now 20 (on May 1, 2010) and I still consider myself a beginner because of lack of experience.
No, you were born on the 29th of February so you only age on leap years.
You're actually 51/2.
OMG, ROFL
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I'm too old to remember when I started using C++, it was somewhere in the late 80s early 90s. I started with the first edition of the book "The C++ Programming Language".

I first started programming in 1981, I was 12. I went to university as a mature student when I decided that being a luthier wasn't giving me a good livelihood.
helios wrote:
Oh, wow. Our birthdays are just three days apart and we started both C++ and programming in general at around the same times.
And yet somehow you are a genius compared to me haha. Keep up the good work.
I consider myself a beginner.
I would still say I'm a beginner in some sense.
I started C++ about... 6 or 7 months ago. I'd always been interested in computers and the like but didn't actually know much about them until sometime early last year. I had played around with some java stuff, mostly along the lines of editing already existing stuff. It was to the point where I knew the syntax and could use code recycled from other java things but nothing more. Then, I randomly decided to learn C++, though I haven't the slightest clue where I heard of it. From there, I googled it and discovered this amazing website. I skimmed the tutorials since I was impatient and scrapped together enough to make a simple prime number generator and RSA tool. You basically just put in the needed stuff and your message and it'd give you your encrypted result. Had decryption too. Then I joined the forms and made various things. Then for awhile I kinda stopped with C++ and went to learn PHP, HTML, CSS, and Python. Having chosen Python over Perl. Then I eventually decided to go back to C++. I re-read the tutorial and noticed that I missed a lot of stuff. And I also came back to the forums. I was 12 when I started and now I'm 13. It's definitely going to be my career though, programming is just epic. Unfortunately, I seriously lack a lot of ideas and thus I can't really get much practice since I never have any idea what to do.
Welcome back.

In terms of ideas; I used to suffer from that problem. Now I have a different one -- I have so many damn ideas I can never finish a project because halfway through I decide something else is more fun and never go back to the previous project. I also have an issue with most of the ideas I come up with being far too difficult for me :P

It depends what you're interested in. I'm interested in systems programming. Some are interested in game development. Other people like writing things like compilers.
@chris, you and I are on the same error level. :P I never finish projects now a days cause I'm constantly moving on, and I'm often at ends with my own skill level. More often then not by conceptual issues over coding issues.
My first C++ experience was with Turbo C++ 3.0 in the early 90s. That language had little in common with what C++ has evolved into. There were no IOStreams or the STL. We had classes and templates. That was really it. I don't recall if exceptions were supported. If they were, I didn't use them until quite a bit later.
I asked my dad where programs (age 9) came from then he told me the were written in C++ so then I told my friend about it then I left C++ behind for a year and then found this tutorial (age 10, best year of my life). I started off on a online compiler (codepad.org) then I got back to my friend and he found a compiler (age 11, is there any 11 year old programmers out there or am I by myself?)! Dev c++ and I think you know what that's like. My dad saw me attempting to make a program turns out we had Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 in the disk stack all along. And here I am know.
Last edited on
So you're dad is a programmer? How lucky are you started at a very young age.
@clover leaf: that´s cool... but, 10 - year of your life?... did You miss someting?^^... Or how old are you now?...
Pages: 1234