Where from did your C++ journey start?

Pages: 1234
Look at his birthday, 1999
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I'm going to teach my son to program in C++ at the age of 2 and he's going to create his first game of pong at the age of 3. Beat that!
I'm going to teach my son to program in C++ before he's even born!
closed account (y8h7M4Gy)
I learned... all over the internet... and @chrisname my son already knows C++ :O
@Clover

C
BASIC
PHP
C++
Visual Basic
Javascript
ASP
css
html
xml

O'rly?
@computerquip, chrisname, edward
When I got married in the future I won't teach my kids to program unless they ask me.

@AngelHoof
I was also amaze about that when I saw it.
When I got married in the future I won't teach my kids to program unless they ask me.
Is that a typo or a proper usage of time travel grammar?

I think AngelHoof is skeptical, as I am, not amazed.
I didn't know what programming was until I had a good friend of mine bring it up. My first computer was 2 years before its time, from the ages of 1996 when Win95 was popular. I was given this computer in 1996 but even then it was slow. When we moved into later years, the computer was so slow, I wanted to cry when Windows asked me to restart. Anytime I wanted to adjust the settings, I had to do it at night so my step-dad who called himself a computer guru (I laugh at the idea now when he tried to describe a motherboard to me but failed miserably). I knew nothing about what a computer was, how it worked, nothing. I was never able to explore although I wanted to so badly.

In 2006, I was given my first computer that I could do anything with. Of course, I was too scared to do anything with it since it was rare. Instead, I would just open the lid and try to understand what everything was. Even then, this computer was from '04 and it was a budget computer from that time. It was slow. This is the first computer that I tried Linux on and the computer that I started UnrealScript on. From the moment I got that computer, I started saving up for a new one. I had saved up hundreds but everytime, I'd have to spend it on other crap such as clothes, food, etc. I even got a job and had around 400 bucks which went to gasoline, car maintenance, eating out, etc. In early 2010, I traded in my modified Dell B110 that I had from '06 for around 40 bucks and threw another 250 out for a base foundation on a nice computer. I replaced the PSU inside for an extra hundred watts of power and replaced the mother board to prevent the bottlenecks the cheap mobo had along with better RAM compatibility. Then I bought an ATi Radeon 5750 and since then, I've been developing and playing games non-stop. GG

Anyways, the reason I told my second story is to say that I plan on giving my kid a nice computer when he's younger (which I need to be careful with. Kids look up weird shit apparently and do shit because of it.) and let him explore where I wasn't given the choice.
Last edited on
@helios
Is that a typo or a proper usage of time travel grammar?
Sorry wrong grammar, my head hurts right now.

I think AngelHoof is skeptical, as I am, not amazed.
I also doubt about clover's profile but we never know, I must respect what he wrote about his skills.

[edit]

Anyways, the reason I told my second story is to say that I plan on giving my kid a nice computer when he's younger (which I need to be careful with. Kids look up weird shit apparently and do shit because of it.) and let him explore where I wasn't given the choice.
For me I will buy my kids good computer if they deserve it.
Last edited on
Or how about some of you just lay off the competetive-parent attitude and let the kid do whatever he's interested in.
AngelHoof, that is a good choice except since the kid doesn't know everything, its the parents job to introduce him to new things. If he's never tried cabbage, how can he tell if he likes it or not? I'm just sayin' :D.
"The kid" has a name, you know, and while I suspect he was bending and breaking the truth in regards to his abilities... *insert appropriate sentence-terminating structure here*

-Albatross
Last edited on
@Albatross,
He didn't mean clover leaft, he meant the hypothetical kid.
Ah. I see.

I... don't want to jump on the "clover is a liar" bandwagon, but in another thread that was deleted due to a later argument he stated that he was 12. He was writing an "anti-virus" program and someone noted that he was acting like a kid, and he broke out that he was 12 and why did everyone have to crawl over the fact, so... it's suspicious.

Also, regarding computerquip's statement about kids looking up stuff... that's only a real problem if you refuse to explain to your kids what they found.

-Albatross
Last edited on
He said 11 that time, actually. And it was deleted because I reported it because it was about to turn into a flamewar.
I could have sworn it was 12, and I think Vexer said that he was also 12... ah, that was some time ago.

-Albatross
Oh, Clover Leaf was THAT guy? (edit: that kid)

Well, i guess there's no real reason to judge him if he's only 12 (or 11).
AngelHoof, I trust you made a syntactical error and did not intend to communicate what you just did.

You just stated that there's no reason to judge someone if they are a certain age (did you mean because they are a certain age?). If you mean what was in the parenthesis, then you're by all rights left (I'm trying to use left in place of right here, because left is right and right to me is wrong), however we do have a problem if we don't know when someone is telling the truth. Some of us are better at spotting false statements than others, however my point remains.

And... regarding age... I used to be very heavily put down because of my relative intelligence when I was kid. I try very hard to avoid making judgements based on a person's age.

-Albatross
Last edited on
@Albatross,
Maybe it's me but this whole paragraph didn't make sense:
You just stated that there's no reason to judge someone if they are a certain age (did you mean because they are a certain age?). If you mean what was in the parenthesis, then you're by all rights left (I'm trying to use left in place of right here, because left is right and right to me is wrong), however we do have a problem if we don't know when someone is telling the truth. Some of us are better at spotting false statements than others, however my point remains.
I have a very strong view on children by the age of 10-16.

Many of them love to flash with the fact that they've learnt (insert language here) basics, and then consider themselves demigods just because they're so young and have accomplished this magnificent feat.

And as such - I don't judge people. Nobody is as bad as if they couldn't change or become mature, it just takes time. (And this doesn't have to relate to intelligence, rather moreso of maturity)
Pages: 1234