• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Windows 95 is now an app you can downloa

Windows 95 is now an app you can download and install on macOS, Windows, and Linux

Windows 95 is the operating system that’s now used as a yardstick for what’s possible on modern devices and platforms. We’ve seen Microsoft’s popular OS appear on the Apple Watch, an Android Wear smartwatch, and even the Xbox One. Today, someone has gone a step further and made Windows 95 into an app that you can run on macOS, Windows, and Linux.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/23/17773180/microsoft-windows-95-app-download-features
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
If only Win95 had been that lean running when it was an OS.
Once it’s running it surprisingly only takes up around 200MB of RAM, even when running all of the old Windows 95 system utilities, apps, and games.
Interesting that my computer that ran Window 98 SE had 32 MiB of RAM.
Have you guys done this yet? Is it like a fully enclosed VM, or is it some kind of emulator?
What do you mean? What's the difference between a VM and an emulator?
I can dedicate hardware resources to a VM, like NICs or optical drives. An emulator would just pretend to be an OS like how DOS Box does.
By that interpretation, it appears to be an emulator.
https://github.com/copy/v86/
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
VM, emulator. Meh.

It is still a somewhat cool and very useless app.

Except as a blast-to-the-past reminder of what was.

There isn't even low-tech sound emulation that I can find.
Last edited on
20+ years ago SGI IRIX workstations had Windows emulator. I think it did look like Win95.

@Computergeek01: How would you put container on the metal--VM--emulator--application -line?
I mean fully enclosed as in vSphere or VirtualBox. Something that segregates itself in memory.

I thought I had a practical use for this. I have this ancient bit of hardware that we got all cockey about and decommissioned its original box for only to find out that it's only about 60% functional on Windows 10 even with all of the WinSxS stuff setup. But it actually requires Win98SE so that died in the water.
A VirtualBox VM isn't more isolated than, say, an NES emulator, or a JVM instance. It's just a normal process running on the host system. An ESXi VM is way more isolated.
Actually, I would trust a low level emulator more, because at least the guest's instructions don't run directly on the host CPU.

Can't you just install Windows 98 on QEMU or VirtualBox? This project does nothing other projects haven't done already, other than doing it in JS.
QEMU looks interesting, I could give that a shot. vSpehere and VirtualBox didn't work because of either the hardware key that we need to have inserted and\or the garbage serial port driver it uses to talk to the various controllers. It's a lower priority, but this might help. Thanks.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.