• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Interview Advice for first SE interview?

Interview Advice for first SE interview?

Hi guys,

I have my first interview for an entry level software engineer on Tuesday. This is not my first job interview, but it is my first interview for a software engineer position. The company is looking for 0 - 4 years of experience and a solid foundation in C++.

Currently, I have been researching the company as well as working on a refresher project in C++ using Visual Studio. Could you guys give me some advice for preparing for the interview and during the interview? Thanks.
They want:
> and a solid foundation in C++.

You have:
> working on a refresher project in C++ using Visual Studio.

I suppose it boils down to where on the 0-4 years you would admit to yourself as being, and where on the 0-4 years the company would accept someone.

> I have my first interview for an entry level software engineer on Tuesday.
Don't try and do a cram session over the weekend to try and remember a bunch of new facts. Consolidate what you already know.

> Could you guys give me some advice for preparing for the interview and during the interview?
Be yourself.
Be honest.
Ask questions.
Try and stay relaxed, with a measure of quiet confidence.

In the end, you need to have some confidence that you'll be able to keep the job if you get the job. If you try to bluff it, and somehow get past the interviewer, your tenure is likely to be short, and your exit reference worthless.
Although I disagree with it, some company's "quiz" questions heavily rely on string manipulation so I would make sure you know that. Also practice exception handling. But every company is different. I would also understand basic things like most common types of complexity (constant, logarithmic, linear, quadratic), and understand, when, for example, logarithmic complexity is used (e.g. number guessing game, tree insert/query).

Also, if it's the truth, make sure to bring up how you sincerely enjoy doing programming-related projects. For my interview, I had prepared in advance on my resume links to personal projects I have done. I believe those helped A LOT. But any type of thought-provoking hobby could be talked about.

The fact that they advertised 0 years as a lower bounds is promising for someone with no experience. Stay calm, but confident (as salem c said).

There are common behavior questions that are usually asked regardless of the type of job. Make sure you have good responses for when you get asked questions relating to how you work with others, or a time when you had a disagreement with a teammate. Practice answering these types of questions out loud to yourself or to another person.
Look into the "STAR method". STAR stands for Situation, Task, Action, Result.
https://www.livecareer.com/career/advice/interview/star-interviewing

An important part of the interview is asking good questions at the end. Make sure you have researched the company to the best of your ability so that you have an idea of what they do aside from just "generic C++ project".
https://biginterview.com/blog/2011/08/best-questions-to-ask-end-interview.html
Last edited on
Not one to speak here.. but Good Luck! ;)
Be calm and be confident! Well I could tell more inspirational things that everybody would say to anybody attending anything important but you get the point, you gotta rock this that's all.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.