Starting Up Another Year

Pages: 12
On Monday, classes begin again sadly. Taking 3 general ed. classes (2 ENG 1 economy), a CS class, and a philosophy course on logic - pretty basic stuff from what I'm seeing posted by the prof.

I had a different schedule in mind, with me taking two CS courses, but the university disallowed taking these particular two CS courses together since most people ended up failing both classes together. One is just a C++ class with pointers, classes, etc.. The other is an assembly class which I'll now take next semester.

Anyway, thinking about it reminded me of all the BS the first year had. I didn't even share most of it when I ranted last time.

In my Afro-American studies class (I say Afro-American because it's the actual title of the class and it pisses her off LOL), we were in groups and making a presentation on "African" explorers. The first issue with this is that Africa is a whole God damn continent. It would be like Canada making a discovery and the U.S. and Mexico sharing the glory. So, half of these "African" explorers aren't even considered African, like the middle eastern countries. Anyway, so I pick a name that looked off since it was a Spanish name.

I talked to the group and quickly realized incorporating them into the project was going to make the whole thing take 1000% longer. To be fair, I asked each of them individually if they had a problem with me doing the whole thing and none of them declined. So, with that, I put all of our grades on the line :). (We Got A High "B", not an "A" probably because I wrecked her).

Looking past a few blogs and the Wikipedia sources, which claimed this man was black and showed a picture (that wasn't actually him but a Shakespearean actor with a similar name), other sources showed that he was actually Spanish. These sources weren't as on the surface, so it shows she barely even tried to find the truth, she was just looking for black people to point to for her own satisfaction - to say they've also done amazing things in history.

This guy had a nickname, "El Negro"/"The Black", which promoted the bad info that he was black. The sources I found stated clearly it was a nickname given due to his deep connections with the slave trade. So I stood infront of the class with my group, gave the presentation she wasn't expecting, and at the end said, "In all the years, no one has ever gone and said he wasn't black.. I'll have to check your sources." She was pretty salty about the whole thing. Again, her only qualification to teach is that she herself is black.

Other than that, 99% of the other presentations also weren't black, mostly characters from Egypt (Which is where I'm from and was born). She once was really frustrated as she looked at a recreation made by some professionals of how people at the time of the ancient Egyptians looked like. They looked white! She was pissy and was like, "Of course when you're white you want to project yourself onto other people's achievements!" - As I was sitting in the class white as hell, living evidence of her misguided emotions and stupidity.

Every time I went into that class, it was her preaching nonsense and every black student in the room thinking she was a saint or something.

Her: "School's didn't teach you that black people actually did all this, huh?!"

Students: "WOW! NO! THOSE EVIL WHITE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO COVER UP OUR HISTORY!"

Me: *Contemplating suicide because I'm the same species*

And it's all BS, half the things she teaches is just plain wrong and the other half is just her framing the facts in a way to make it seem like it was something it wasn't. So of course we didn't learn this in public schools, they actually had standards -_- So many claimed to not have learned about what slavery "really" was, when I guarantee you they just weren't even paying attention in class during high school.

Not that high school was some treasure trove of talented teachers and high quality curriculum, but how a University like this somehow became worse than that is beyond me.
Last edited on
you should start a blog bro.
This guy had a nickname, "El Negro"/"The Black", which promoted the bad info that he was black. The sources I found stated clearly it was a nickname given due to his deep connections with the slave trade.
That doesn't sound right. It would be like calling a coke dealer "The Cocaine". Are you sure it wasn't "El Negrero"?
"El Negro" is a common nickname in Spanish, though it doesn't necessarily imply anything about someone's ethnicity. It can be given to someone who's just really tan, for example.

Do you have a link?
Last edited on
its just the latin root word for black, the color. Nothing more. Its used in English, Spanish, French, and other languages as the color. Its lost some use due to racial connotations in American English (and possibly other places, I do not know) but older writings have it.

These kinds of classes are the result of allowing the rabid left to fully control the schools. When I had it, we had AA lit, and got to read a few classics like 'the invisible man'. It wasn't so bad, we talked about the books and the author's point of view like any other lit class. It was still a total waste of time, but no more so than all the core classes. You just barfback what the teacher wants to hear, get your paper, and move on with your life. Its something to remember when you get a job too... some managers just want barfback just like some teachers do. The people who want you to think for yourself and reply honestly are few and far between.

The only African American I know is a white guy from south Africa. I know a lot of POC who are just americans (citizens by birth). The concept of being born a citizen and sort of half renouncing that to connect to some place you never been or seen is a mystery to me. These days, if asked about race, I carefully refer only to the one true race, the human race, and ignore everything else with a deliberate, intentional denseness.
Last edited on
"El Negro" is a common nickname in Spanish, though it doesn't necessarily imply anything about someone's ethnicity.

It may not have been that. I think it actually said that may have been a reason.

I looked through that old presentation's works cited and couldn't find where I had read that through a quick skim over.

www.wikanda.es/wiki/Pedro_Alonso_Niño

www.biografiasyvidas.com/biografia/n/nino.htm

jacjackie4308.blogspot.com/2014/11/pedro-alonso-nino-piloted-one-of.html.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/humanities/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/nino-pedro-alonso-c-1468-c-1505

^ My sources if you feel like delving into it. I may have read it wrong somewhere, but was sure one of the sources said that nickname may have come from his close ties to the slave trade.

You just barfback what the teacher wants to hear, get your paper, and move on with your life.

I've done that for years, pretty tired of it. With that class, I basically did that most of the time because she seemed the type to give a bad grade if she didn't like you. I remember coming up with a scenario where I could kill her and make it look like an accident. She was just mindblowingly dumb, and I was even more pissed off at how the students were just constantly on-board with everything she said, it was like a rally sometimes.
The Spanish Wikipedia (https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Alonso_Ni%C3%B1o ) article mentions in passing the origin of his nickname, although without any citations.
The English article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Alonso_Ni%C3%B1o ) says he was Moor, which is possible since he was born in southern Spain. I very much doubt he was black, probably olive-skinned at most. You can look up images of what Moroccan people look like.
Yea, but the English wikipage is something someone made incorrectly. I wouldn't trust that he was a moor, it seemed more like a buzz word in the class than anything relevant. Either way, he's definitely not an "African explorer". Most if not all the people who presented had Egyptian people who were clearly not even black. She just likes to associate the whole continent with black people.
Last edited on
I don't find anything unbelievable about him being a Moor. Moors are no more black than Hebrews or Arabs, anyway.

What kind of school wastes its students' time like this, by the way? Why would you sign up there?
closed account (4w0o1hU5)
school wastes its students' time like this
I would have to agree. Nightmare, an absolute nightmare.

May I ask if the teaching methods are of fine effect?
I don't find anything unbelievable about him being a Moor.

Not that it's impossible, but I'm pretty sure anyone who called him a moor was under false assumptions to begin with. No source other than the one which was completely wrong called him a moor.

What kind of school wastes its students' time like this, by the way? Why would you sign up there?

This class itself wasn't required, I just needed the social studies credits. I also need to fulfill a "multicultural" requirement, and this class fulfilled both requirements. By far the most useless and dumbfounded class yet.

The university is considered a "Tier 1" university in terms of research, but they absolutely don't care about who they hire to teach. The advisers aren't exactly quality either. My adviser right now is pretty hot though, so I let it slide. When I went to see her, her voice was just a ray of seduction. She was playing her voice like an instrument, she sounded like those stereotypical hot chicks in games when they have that classic "hot chick" voice. She was also into anime, which was a plus. I'm pretty sure I pissed her off on several occasions though, so I'm not betting on my chances.

Either way, she gave me a list of classes to take last semester, I thanked her, tossed the recommendations in the trash, and took classes that would actually help me graduate on time.
Why would you sign up there?

Tuition is cheap and all degrees are the same. I get a good chunk of money into my back account every semester from extra scholarships.

May I ask if the teaching methods are of fine effect?

If you can't teach yourself, you definitely wouldn't pass half of these classes. Calculus professors are beyond incompetent. My last one was a nice Russian lady who gave every opportunity for us to pass, and I want to say she was a good professor, but God you just can't follow her when she's doing math.
closed account (4w0o1hU5)
I suppose I would harness lack of sanction for poor punctuality. If they have that.
This is not uncommon. I started at a tier 1 R&D school as well.
the classes for freshmen were large (hundreds of students) and were taught by foreign undergrads who were taking ESL studies and starting masters programs. Not a PHD or english speaker in the lot. It was by design, to fail out as many as possible after sucking 1-2 years of tuition from them. A calc test ... 5 -10 multiple choice questions. They couldn't understand a question to try to answer it if they had wanted to do so. I got out of there asap ... there was nothing to be learned there unless you were on your undergrad or phd level work.

I got nothing against non english speakers, until they are in a job where communications in english is the #1 qualification, mind you. Its not even their fault -- its a job to work thru school with -- its the school's operating procedure and approach that is poor. I wouldn't want to be some poor sap listening to me teach while I learned their language .... I don't even make sense in my own language 1/2 or more of the time.
Last edited on
It's not that bad !

My CS professor just made it mandatory to use:

if(){
//
}

instead of

if()
{
//
}

-_-
There’s a neat little program called astyle (http://astyle.sourceforge.net/) that I find useful.

Program using your own style so that you can understand the code. Then run it through astyle and submit the results to your professor for grading.
hes just using you. He plans to steal your code to put in his book and wants to save a couple of cents on printing costs associated with lining his brackets up correctly...

I just had to do the reverse … to fix all the misaligned JavaScript code we have been using. Those guys code like its pure art and they are drawing an abstract painting with the words. 20 or so lines of C and it was fixed though. Easy enough to clean up
Program using your own style so that you can understand the code. Then run it through astyle and submit the results to your professor for grading.

Thanks, that's going to be pretty useful! I was going to go back and change every bracket myself otherwise xD

It just pissed me off because he wouldn't even admit it was his personal preference when I questioned him, he literally said something like, "Because it's more logical". Proceeded to say that it saves a line of code ---___--- . I had to suppress the urge to call out his bullsh*t. It was a shame, because other than that he gave a pretty good impression.

hes just using you. He plans to steal your code to put in his book and wants to save a couple of cents on printing costs associated with lining his brackets up correctly...

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not Lol!

EDIT: I got astyle and can't really use it. I'm using the executable and typing "astyle --style=java E:/Users/Lelouch/Desktop/ConsoleApplication1.cpp" but it's not doing anything. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I did find a way to format the whole thing at once, but it's a bit disheartening. I go through Visual Studio settings and change the formatting options for the bracket, then make it reformat the code, then set the format back to what I use.
Last edited on
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not Lol!

Good!

I was half kidding. The compact book form was invented just for that: to save pages wasted (its a LOT in a textbook). He probably isnt using your code, but if he is an author, he is used to that style and prefers it perhaps, or whatever. Some people actually like the compact style. I am OK with it, but I like aligned brackets when bug hunting esp if the bug ends up being tied to misaligned (right number and compiles but wrong places) brackets.

why not write your own? I wrote one for c++ and .js and sql all three, none are more than 2 pages. I don't like online pretty tools (should i be posting our code to an unknown program? that is an issue on the job!). If you do your own, it will do exactly what you want. Anything else, you either have a clunky setup to make it do what you want (if even possible) or you take what you get.

the ones I made write the code back out to the terminal. I use them unix style, pipe the output back to a file or tool.
Last edited on
I am OK with it, but I like aligned brackets when bug hunting

Exactly what I told him. I said it's a lot better to look at when you can go up the same line and find the other bracket. His argument? Many programs will show you the other bracket when you press on one. As if that made his opinion a fact. He was the author of a book apparently, so I suppose the condensed way is more familiar for him.

why not write your own?

I guess I will. Shouldn't take too long, will be a lot better than changing the settings and forcing it reformat every time. Thanks!
Quick update. Coded my own thing and works great. I almost died looking at nested brackets in that horrid form.
Pages: 12