Integrated GPU question

Pages: 12
Hi,

So, I have a decent performing laptop, but it really needs a new GPU.

From my understanding, if you have 2 display adapters, one is removable right?

To be specific, I have a Dell Precision M4800. Intel HD graphics 4600 & NVIDIA Quadro k1100M

The Quadro would be the removable one right?

Thank you.
Changing out video cards in a desktop is easily doable, but not so easy with laptops. If at all possible.

The quadro should be removable.

Laptops/mobile workstations limit the "heft" of video cards you can use, compared to a desktop.
How can you tell for sure?

All my searches seemed to indicate that just having 2 cards was enough to tell you one could be upgraded.

Thank you.
A laptop throws the "it can be upgraded" scenario out the window. I can't tell for sure without having the laptop in front of me.

Even with two video outs in a laptop the nVidia card might require extensive disassembly for replacement. If it is even engineered for replacement. Laptop makers do weird things to make them as small as possible. Dell is notorious for not making upgrades easy, or cheap.

Take your laptop to a computer repair shop you trust and ask one of the techs if replacement is doable.
Will do. Thanks!
99% of the time, upgrading a GPU for your laptop is impossible or not worth it. The GPU is soldiered to the motherboard. You'll either have to hope that the manufacturer has the same model of laptop with a higher spec GPU so they can swap your motherboard, or that you bought the ONE laptop that I know of with a replaceable CPU and GPU. Either way, not likely - and in the former scenario, also costly.

If you have a thunderbolt 3 port, you can instead buy an external GPU and plug it into your laptop. The port will allow for speeds high enough that it's as if the GPU is on your motherboard. Something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1FT-000A-000S3?item=9SIA0ZXA191740
That thing is a beast.
It has half my RAM!

Hopefully, I can find a more affordable external GPU because that is for sure my only option.

Other than a new machine, of course.

Thank you.
No problem. Good lucking finding a budget one!
try to avoid laptop if you can. There are rumors of decent gaming laptops, but I do not believe in them -- the cost more for less power and, as you see here, have upgrade issues. Get a desktop if you want to game or do hot GPU multiprocessing. desktops can chain 2-3 graphics cards, if you need something extra potent.

If you want to do something less potent, you can get a budget 'old' gpu or two in a cheap machine. Even an old 1070 or 1080 series nvidia is still pretty good processing, and each generation before that costs even less... but anything lower than the 900 series isnt very good for gaming.

I think the current desktop graphics cards have more ram than my work laptop. I point this out to my manager regularly, but so far, have not gotten an upgrade.
Last edited on
try to avoid laptop if you can.

I'm using a gaming laptop myself. It's a pretty good gaming laptop and cheap at the price I got it at with plenty of ports/features. I tend to stay away from desktops because if I ever wanna go anywhere I'd need a separate laptop. It would be a real hassle to have to transfer data between the two computers whenever I went from one to the other.

There are plenty of really good gaming laptops, they're just usually expensive. Mine has a metal build, good specs, nice speakers, the whole set, for a relatively cheap price. It runs games on max settings with enough fuel to get me 100+ frames and doesn't heat up after I undervolted the CPU.

Yes, upgrading them isn't very possible, but there are options, like the eGPU. The odds you'd want to upgrade for every new generation isn't likely. Often times, simply upgrading the GPU on a build will cost only relatively a little bit less than buying a completely new laptop.
if you need portability, laptop it is. That is why I said 'if you can'. This concept of 'go anywhere' ... are you sure you are a gamer? That sounds... scary with IRL social interactions and stuff.... yikes.
if you need portability, laptop it is.

I use it also for school, so I take it with me when needed. Plus, they can be cheaper than if you built it yourself. Companies buy/produce in bulk, saving money. And companies will often have huge sales which makes things nice and easy. I just prefer laptops in general. Upgrading to me is buying a new laptop - different design/hardware.

are you sure you are a gamer?

I game, I'm competitive, and I game everyday. So I assume I fit the description.

That sounds... scary with IRL social interactions and stuff.... yikes.

I'm pretty sure that's just a stereotype that isn't true. I'm very sociable and usually one of the more popular guys you'll meet.
:)
I would love to see a laptop come out cheaper than a desktop for equal power, assuming either both prebuilt or both hand built. I don't buy that (if its what you meant). If you meant that you can build one cheaper than premade, sure, that is usually true unless you want a bare-bones web browser computer.
I would prefer (slightly) a laptop, but I'm cheap and I won't have wireless until I can get it without packet loss. So far, haven't been able to meet my price and wireless needs.
Last edited on
I would love to see a laptop come out cheaper than a desktop for equal power

Definitely possible and happens. My laptop's base model comes with a GTX 1060 6GB version, 8GB RAm, i7-7700HQ, 128 SSD + 1TB HDD, a 2x2 wireless card (as opposed to 1x1), plenty of ports - including Thunderbolt 3 (both display port and USB-C style), and a pretty nice set of speakers paired with a sub. Regularly, you could get it for $1000 straight up. On a good day, or if you talk to customer service for a discount, you can get it for a bit less than that.

I HIGHLY doubt you can build a desktop that cheaply - if you started from scratch. Just the CPU and GPU alone would cost nearly $800, not to mention the RAM, storage drives, motherboard, etc.. you'd have to purchase.

I got that laptop but not with these specs, I got higher specs, so it was a bit more costly for me - but still a bargain.

"I would prefer (slightly) a laptop, but I'm cheap and I won't have wireless until I can get it without packet loss."

Lots of providers can get you get wireless internet without packetloss. If the price is too high then I don't know, it depends on the speeds you're asking for, your location, and the company. I personally have an Ethernet cable connected to my laptop.
Last edited on
closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
I game, I'm competitive, and I game everyday. So I assume I fit the description.
Do you plan to make a sort of passive income from this eventually?

"I would prefer (slightly) a laptop, but I'm cheap and I won't have wireless until I can get it without packet loss."
Why didn't you quote him the normal way?
Last edited on
Do you plan to make a sort of passive income from this eventually?

No, but that's never been a requirement to be a gamer.

Why didn't you quote him the normal way?

??
??
You quoted @jonnin like
"so"
rather than like
so

No, but that's never been a requirement to be a gamer.
Incredibly understandable. It's a VERY competitive thing now, don't you agree?
You quoted @jonnin like
"so"
rather than like

I didn't realize. I'm also on another site where that's the only way to quote people, so I accidentally did that.

Incredibly understandable. It's a VERY competitive thing now, don't you agree?

I assume so, never tried to get into it. If I could, I would, but thought never crossed my mind because it's highly unlikely.
It's just such an ideal job, yet so improbable for the average joe. Have fun playing games and simultaneously profit. I believe the last time such an opportunity was present was being a dessert tester. Quite thought-provoking is the job.
Last edited on
I'm not even sure how'd you get into it. The only ways I can think of it to be a professional beta tester or streamer.
Pages: 12