• Forum
  • Lounge
  • How long is the usual wait time for empl

How long is the usual wait time for employers to respond?

I've applied to numerous companies for summer 2020 internships. Around 30 internships, but I've only heard back from a small number of them. Of these that I have heard back from, I've been rejected by most of them, but I'm currently moving forward in the interview process with three of them. How long does it take for HR to get back to you? These are all summer 2020 internships that last around 6-8 weeks, so are they waiting for more applicants first or it normal for some companies to just ghost candidates?
You can expect to wait up to 2 weeks. However, if you're being rejected they may simply never get back to you at all.
Yeah, those that I've gotten replies from got back to me within the two weeks. Some took a little bit over two weeks. I should mention that companies who managed to get back to me were mostly fortune 500 companies. The smaller companies haven't gotten around to me yet. Maybe because they don't have time? Either that or they've completely just ghosted me. Had a campus recruiter contact me a few day ago saying they came across my profile and was impressed with my background, and that he wanted me to apply online to an internship position. He didn't mention if the internship was summer, so I replied back to him. It has been 5 days - haven't heard from him again. Whatever. I applied regardless.
Last edited on
Larger companies will have more manpower and perhaps even automated systems for these things. If smaller companies get hounded by applications they may just choose not to overwork themselves and reply to those they want to hire.

Had a campus recruiter contact me a few day ago saying they came across my profile and was impressed with my background, and that he wanted me to apply online to an internship position. He didn't mention if the internship was summer, so I replied back to him. It has been 5 days - haven't heard from him again.

Yea, been in this situation before. They'll build you up and then you never hear from them again. It's more likely they do that to anyone who looks decent enough and they just want applicants.
internships are a little different. Consider it to be 2 weeks after the due-date for the application.
Campus Recruiters are often hard to deal with. There are not many of them at most companies and they get slammed with a jillion applications all at once after running their booth or doing their presentation etc.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.