Favorite IDE?

Pages: 123... 5
So I was wondering, what is your favorite IDE? I personally use code::blocks and love it to death, but my friend uses Dev c++ (I think it's outdated).
closed account (GbX36Up4)
Dev-cpp = EPICNESS *rivalry music starts playing* *throws Ifnunley the death stare*
http://cplusplus.com/forum/articles/36896/
Personally, MS Visual Studio.
this is such an amusing question and brings back memories. The place where I used to work, the veterans (those with long beards, a walking stick, bald patch...only joking) would swear that EMACS is all you need.
Notepad. I have my assistant look up every single command I type and translate it into machine code. It's the only way to code.
closed account (GbX36Up4)
Your assistant is probably your mom.
@logart - ...

Visual Studio 2K10 :)
She works quite cheaply. And she get's along with your mom when she comes over. It's like a play date. Of course I hear all the embarrassing stories. Remember that time you had that embarrassing experience with the doll? *looks around to see if anyone heard.
Code::Blocks, like a lot of other members on this board, it seems!
closed account (zb0S216C)
My paperback notepad. I write the code on a piece of paper( black ink only ), then scan the page into the computer, and determine each character based on the pixels of the page using some software. I just can't seem to figure out why it won't compile most of the time. Still, I use Visual C++ Express 2010 now though.

Wazzak
Last edited on
There are people who use IDEs?

I kid I kid, My favorite IDE is different on each platform. In linux I almost never take on projects large enough to warrant an IDE so it's usually a combination of gedit or nano and gnu's compiler set. When I need an IDE in windows I use VS2010. And when I need an IDE on OSX it's xcode.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
XCode 4 (still learning my way round it)

Edit:
My working life is spent in Visual Studio, the 'best for me' on Windows.
Last edited on
@Grey Wolf,

Do you ever do any cross compilation from OS X? If you do I'd like to know what tools you use for that.
MS Visual Studio for experimentation; MS V++ Express for projects which may be distributed (VS is under student license...)

Code::Blocks under Ubuntu and for my video tutorials as it's cross platform.
Do you ever do any cross compilation from OS X?

At the moment I don't (other than started tinkering with iOS stuff in XCode).

I might be looking into ARM stuff later in the year. The Raspberry Pi Foundation* are planning to manufacture and distribute an ultra-low-cost computer. This looks like the perfect platform to get back to my robot OS design.

* http://www.raspberrypi.org/
erm Robot OS? I'm not quite sure I follow. Then again I've done no tinkering with robots so I don't really know how they work on a software level.
erm Robot OS?

I have had a long term goal to make a Robot (or several). The aim for the OS would be that of a distributed realtime OS geared towards the needs on a robot. Doing things with robotics/embedded systems is still quite expensive in the UK and as a result the project spends most of it's time stalled.
quite expensive in the UK

As in getting the hardware?
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
My favorite IDE would have to be a mix of Vim and Cmake (for build system, which coincidentally needs GNU make). Unfortunately though, I find myself on Windows for one reason or another and neither of those play well with Window (mainly since Windows doesn't have any well-featured command shell emulators and Cmake has trouble finding packages).
As in getting the hardware?

Yes. :0(

The last time I looked for a smallish 4WD Chassis to build a garden rover it was over £200. The last SBC I had cost me £250, I was not happy when the smoke got out.

I get the impression that doing robotics/Mechatronics elsewhere in the world is a lot cheaper.

Pages: 123... 5