Games job interview

Pages: 12
Hi all,

I have an interview with a games company coming up. I know there have been other threads about typical interview questions and advice about taking an interview but I wondered if anyone has more specific advice geared towards a games job interview.

Thanks.
You must be very energetic and happy. I recommend saying you know math as that is really important. C++ is important of course, but i think u already are a master as you are going to have the interview.
Working and communicating with others is a big requirement when it comes to game development, sooo you should definetly slip something in about how good/great you are at that.

Mentioning just how much you love games could be a plus aswell, but I'd imagine they hear that alot.
Don't tell them how much you love video games, everyone else will be telling them that and it's not flattering. Tell them about the games/programs you have made (I'm sure you have a portfolio?). Show them you have long term commitment. Did you get a degree? That's 4 years of goal oriented commitment right there. Did you ever create a game for fun that took you diligence over a period of time (like 3 months, varying with game/program complexity).
They could really care less how much you have always dreamed of being a game programmer.

They really want to know you can meet deadlines, be creative, and not annoy other employees.

Make sure they know you also do stuff other than live in front of your computer... (I also enjoy, hiking, skydiving, scuba diving, lion taming, etc).

Research the company, do they have a catchphrase or slogan or something? (Game.inc were committed to excellence and progress... or whatever). Memorize it.

If they ask why you want to work their you could mention for one, because they're hiring. (Everyone knows the economy sucks right now, and they know it's a lie if you always wanted to work for their company, you will likely be the first person to give that honest answer).
Be honest, it shows.

quirkyusername wrote:
Hi all,

I have an interview with a games company coming up. I know there have been other threads about typical interview questions and advice about taking an interview but I wondered if anyone has more specific advice geared towards a games job interview.

Thanks.
I've got no real advice for you than what was already written above, but I wanted to wish you well and wish you the very best of luck!!

I'm sure you'll ace it! :)
Last edited on
closed account (zwA4jE8b)
Let us know how it goes. You'll do great!
Thanks for the support guys, it didn't go too badly for my first time. They're going to send me a follow up test, not sure what it will involve but if that goes well I'll be invited back to work for the company for one day, and then they'll decide whether to hire me. I did well enough to not be immediately disregarded at least, through to phase two.
If I were you, I'd also create the feeling that I already got the job and hold on to it during these days. If it
can cure lethal cancer within three minutes (*), I guess it most certainly can be of help in your situation too.

(*) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmMNlmn1DPc
Time to tell all the organisations researching cancer treatments to give up, we've found the cure and we've had it all along! Just feel good and the electromagnetic waves which our heart generates when we feel emotions (because it's the heart that feels emotion) will fix us right up!
Last edited on
Why? If people know that they can heal themselves how will we get their money? I believe the best thing to do is keep it a secret and only for personal use. And if anyone just happens to learn it, well, good for them.
That argument ("doctors only care about money") falls down because in England, doctors are paid via tax money. Also, plenty of organisations that research cancer are charities.
chrisname wrote:
doctors are paid via tax money

The way doctors are paid really is irrelevant. If people don't
need doctors, the government will simply stop paying them.

chrisname wrote:
plenty of organisations that research cancer are charities

And where do charities get their money from? Aren't
donations a way to drain people from their money?
In fact, I would say it's a rather clever way, because
people who donate money are usually happy to do it.
m4ster r0shi wrote:
The way doctors are paid really is irrelevant. If people don't need doctors, the government will simply stop paying them.

But it's not irrelevant because greed doesn't really come into play when your income doesn't depend on what bloated, overpriced treatments you can trick your patients into buying or becoming dependent on.

m4ster r0shi wrote:
And where do charities get their money from? Aren't donations a way to drain people from their money? In fact, I would say it's a rather clever way, because people who donate money are usually happy to do it.

But the idea of a charity is that they use all the money they get from donations to support their cause (although most of it goes on advertising). They don't turn a profit. That's why they're charities. Why would one set up an organisation that can't make money purely to take money from people? That doesn't make any sense at all.
Why would one set up an organisation that can't make money purely to take money from people?
Don't you get it? They don't use the money to cure cancer at all! In reality, all those charities are fronts; local branches of the Zionist US government Communist pharmaceutical manufacturers oil companies, who aim to take all your money by giving you incurable cancer, promoting wildly inefficient cars, keep you in a state of constant terror until a world government seems a reasonable alternative, and eventually trim down the population by sterilizing a large portion of it by fluoridating the water supply (with the excuse of preventing tooth decay), thus indefinitely postponing the Malthusian catastrophe and clearing the way to an eventual Communist utopia, led by an aristocracy of Jews.
Last edited on
Exactly.

"Everyone should know that the 'war on cancer' is largely a fraud."
Linus Pauling, PhD, Two Time Nobel Prize Winner

http://www.cancertutor.com/

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/12154.php

EDIT: Hey, who reported this? Don't close this thread. Let the truth surface.
Last edited on
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U&hd=1
It's an entertaining movie, but Tim Minchin is not a nobel prize winner or
anything, so, I'll stick to Dr. Pauling's opinion. It was a good laugh, though :D
Last edited on
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
m4ster r0shi wrote:
but Tim Minchin is not a nobel prize winner or anything, so, I'll stick to Dr. Pauling's opinion.

"When an old and distinguished person speaks to you, listen to him carefully and with respect -- but do not believe him. Never put your trust into anything but your own intellect. Your elder, no matter whether he has gray hair or has lost his hair, no matter whether he is a Nobel laureate -- may be wrong. The world progresses, year by year, century by century, as the members of the younger generation find out what was wrong among the things that their elders said. So you must always be skeptical -- always think for yourself."
- Linus Pauling
Linus Pauling wrote:
So you must always be skeptical -- always think for yourself.

I agree. But I really don't see how this is different from what I'm doing. :/
You're preferring one opinion over the other, apparently based solely on who produced it rather than on their own merits. That would be the opposite of thinking for yourself.
Pages: 12