How long have use been programming?

Pages: 12
Hey guys just wondering how long some people have been studying programming in general and c++.

Myself I've been programming for 2 years. Studied C++ Not super in depth last year. And this year was Java. And now my next two years are going to be finishing my studies with C++ - so I can finally go out into the real world of game programming :)
Well, I first played with programming on the likes of the Comodore Pet and Sinclare ZX-80 (yes, a ZX-80, not ZX-81 or Spectrum), which would have been 28 years ago!
More 'serious' programming would have been using Pascal about 22 years ago, then on to Delphi (from V2) with SQL and PL/SQL
I dabbled with C (in terms of reading interfaces to call from Pascal / Delphi) for many years, before starting to use C++ at work late last year.
Currently I use Delphi, Modula 2, C++, C++/CLI, C# and SQL on a regular basis, depending on which project I am working on.
About 23 years.

If you want to count plugging-in those non-sensical programs in the back of the Commodore VIC-64 [1] manual and other simple graphics (variations on pong and the like) then bump that to 25 or 26.

Serious C++ programming: 5 or 6 years.

[1] I thought it was a C128 until I looked it up on the Wikipedia to make sure I had the right computer...

There is also this old thread: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/1953/

:-)
21 years, beginning w/BASIC/GWBASIC/QuickBASIC and moving on to Turbo Pascal and x86 Assembler and finally to C and C++. Been doing C++ now for about 8 years professionally and 12 years counting college projects.

err 1 month? :D
Started 10 years ago with C and C++, used both professionally for 7 years.
Started with C this early year ,I now am engaged in C++.
Hmm, I've never touched just C - would it be a good idea to learn any of it do you guys think? As I'm mainly a pure C++ Programmer.
I started with QuickBASIC five years ago at school. Frustrated with the pace we were moving at, I decided to learn C++ on my own three years ago. Only on March of this year did I master it enough to do anything useful with it (having no Internet connection and an old computer was holding me back much more than I thought).

Mythios: If you're going to use it for application programming, you might as well stick to C++. C is much better for systems programming (i.e. kernels, drivers, that sort of thing).
Ive been learning C++, my first programming language, about 3 months.
Welcome. C++ is a fine language to start with. It is big, though, so don't get overwhelmed. I'm still learning stuff. ;-)

Mythios: No. Not unless you wish to use it for something. Knowing C++ makes it very easy (if not frustrating) to go to C. The road is a good bit more treacherous in the other direction.
I've been programming C++ for 2 years now.
I myself have not been "Programming" that long, but I have been learning for a pretty good time now
I recently started and really hoping to grasp some of the basic fundamentals before it overwhelms me. Learning it in school was one thing, but to work with it at my new job is so different. The code that I see every day at work was done by someone who was self taught and there's alot that doesn't make sense from a programming standpoint. Some days I wish I could call someone up to say "What does this mean in real C++ English?"....the people that developed the code are long gone and now we're left trying to understand it piece by piece....lots of fun! grr! :)
Sounds like you've inherited the mess of a Real Programmer (meaning a bad one). Alas, that isn't too uncommon.
true, true.....scary to think of how commom it actually is.....is there a resource, other than the forum, where a person in my situation can contact someone to get help deciphering some of this 'inherited mess'? it would make for a less stressful day and it would be a great way to start the new year.
Unfortunately, no. Not outside of your own IT dept and technical manuals (or other documentation -- assuming there is some).

If the code is particularly hairy, it is probably worth your time to just rewrite it.
Yeah. Most of the time I find the code to be far more complicated than necessary.

Just the other day I saw a nice O(n) 14-line algorithm that figured out how many pages would be required to display N lines of text where the number of lines per page is constant.

I guess

maxPages = ( N + LINES_PER_PAGE - 1 ) / LINES_PER_PAGE;

wasn't good enough...

Yeah it's amazing the amount of stuff I've read and just been overwhelmed by the extra amount of code that has been put into the program that really was useless.
About a month now :D
Pages: 12