How long have use been programming?

Pages: 12
I've been using C++ for almost 20 years. I still learn new ways to do things regularly. With the new C++ standard arriving soon, I have many more years of learning new tricks to look forward to.
Speaking of the new standard coming this year, is there any word on exactly when we can expect it? I hear that much of the boost libraries will be incorporated into the new standard.
as a high school student 2-3 months, as a university student 2-3 months, and now for another 3 months

Makes me a straight beginner compared to the posts I see here :)
Return: It will probably be ratified in late 2009, and published in 2010. However, since most of its features are already known, there's no reason to think that some compilers won't release a sort of preview version. This is my own speculation, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B0x
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Microsoft have released a 'Feature Pack' for VC2008:
This feature pack also includes an implementation of TR1. Portions of TR1 are scheduled for adoption in the upcoming C++0x standard as the first major addition to the ISO 2003 standard C++ library. Our implementation includes a number of important features such as:
• Smart pointers
• Regular expression parsing
• New containers (tuple, array, unordered set, etc)
• Sophisticated random number generators
• Polymorphic function wrappers
• Type traits
• And more!

Documentation for Microsoft's implementation of TR1: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb982198.aspx
closed account (309Ey60M)
1 week, lol
but i'll appreciate any1 who would like to teach me more so i don't have to go at it alone
i use C++
magiciankyle@yahoo.com
I started programming six years ago with HTML and TI-BASIC. Overtime, I have worked with XHTML, Java, C++, Javascript and CSS as well. Java and C++ are the only languages I learned from an instructor in a class room though.
Five years, learned C++ in that time all by myself.
I've been programming for about a year now with C++.
I have been learning C++ from the last 4 months.
I am still lacking in some of the concepts.
I know I still have a long way to go.
I have learnt alot from the programmers here.Some of the programmers were so rude with me when I started to use this forum.
I am sure I will become a very big programmer of C++.
Im sure you will if you really want to :)
I like to imagine programming like sailing in the ocean or outer space,
no matter how many things you see and learn you still know there are lots and lots more to see
and discover.
So I guess there is no need to get disapointed if you dont know sometthing.
Just mess with it and eventually you'll learn.
Hmm well i started when i was 10 using a ide called SCAR and it used the same syntax as pascal so in effect it was pascal however a community created functions from the syntax of pascal to make it easier to program with. These functions were used mainly to macro in browser and flash games such as runescape which it was targeted at. That was very easy and then when I finished some computing stuff when I was also 10, the teacher set me some work on html. So I got interested in HTML and programmed in HTML, CSS and XHTML. Then I looked for a language at 11 that I could make things with, not web development or cheating in MMO's. So I chose C++ and I studied that for a bit and then stopped for a break lasting about 2 or 3 months. Then I actually bought 2 C++ books and one on HTML, CSS and XHTML in late 08 when I was 12. For my christmas this year I got a book on C# and now I am concentrating on C++ more and to actualy crack into the C# book. After I have read that and can do some applications in C# with the help of visual studio IDE, I will move onto iPhone app development by learning Cocoa and Objective C and incorporating C++.

All self taught :)

So um about 2 years I have been programming for.
Last edited on
I started a year ago, but I've lost my internet connection, so for several months I wasn't able to study...
@Tarou San, dont use the internet for learning programming stuff. Use books. That way you don't have to have boths eyes fixed on your laptop at all times and you can take the book anywhere. Also its good for a quick reference and I find it easier reading from books rather than monitors. That may only be because im on a 13" macbook here. LOL
I think the Internet is good as it is free and it has lots of useful sources. Almost all the information needed are there.
By the way, for a better knowledge a book may be a good choice but the problem with books is that you need a really good one
True same with internet though :) Need a good community for asking questions *hint hint* :) and also a good source *hint hint* lol but ye this site has got it all however I only really buy books where they ask you questions and make you do tasks at the end of chapters or you dont learn anything

But its a matter of opinion anyway
Almost a year...and I still suck. :D

I've just fallen out of practice. PHP is just so fun!

Don't hurt me for betraying C++.
Hah I been hammering c++ and forgot about PHP - Looks like I'm the opposite :D
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12