My Little Project

Pages: 123
Albatross wrote:
Say, might I ask what compiler were you using?
Whichever version of GCC installs with build-essential on Ubuntu. I also had the same issue with mingw in windows which has gcc-4.6.1
@naraku9333
I could not reproduce your problem at all on g++ 4.6.3. Nonetheless, I put the fix in. Hopefully it'll compile now!

@all
I uploaded another bug fix release, if anyone's interested. This one also features a performance enhancement which many of you on lower-end systems might like. Let that be the last of the 0.2.x series. :)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/soundbench/files/0.2.3%20Alpha/

Thank you so much for your help!

-Albatross

EDIT: I didn't even notice. 3500 posts and counting.
Last edited on
How do I make it make a noise? I have a midi file if that's needed.

Also, any chance of it responding traditionally to --version and --help?
The sound generation settings are under the Channels tab.

I really should add in those flags. That's definitely a must-do for the next version. :)
EDIT: The git version now has support for those two flags.

-Albatross
Last edited on
I did eventually make it make a sound with that A4 button.

Where does the git version live?
The git version lives here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/soundbench/code/

At the moment, I'm the only person who pushes to it.

-Albatross
Last edited on
At the moment, I'm the only person who pushes to it.

So you've shown us your toys and now you're telling us we can't play with them :(
Just make patches or diffs or something and send them to her.
I think I noticed if (a[i] != nullptr) delete a[i]; somewhere. That's a bit useless.
No it's not; I use it to allocate more than one object at a time and then free them all in one go:
int dict_create(struct dict* dict, size_t size)
{
	memset(dict, 0, sizeof(*dict));
	if (size) {
		if (!(dict->keys = malloc(sizeof(char*) * size))) {
			fprintf(stderr, "%s: malloc: %s\n", __func__,
							strerror(errno));
			goto error;
		}
		if (!(dict->values = malloc(sizeof(void*) * size))) {
			fprintf(stderr, "%s: malloc: %s\n", __func__,
							strerror(errno));
			goto error;
		}
		dict->capacity = size;
	}
	return 0;
error:
	if (dict->keys)		free(dict->keys);
	if (dict->values)	free(dict->values);
	if (dict->count)	dict->count = 0;
	if (dict->capacity)	dict->capacity = 0;
	return -1;
}

In C you can just check the truth value rather than explicitly comparing them against NULL (or nullptr in C++).
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdlib/free/
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/freestore-mgmt.html#faq-16.8

In C you can just check the truth value rather than explicitly comparing them against NULL (or nullptr in C++).

Maybe I'm too newschool, but I personally consider that to be bad practice in both C and C++.
I didn't know free did that. I remember looking it up one day and I thought it was undefined behaviour. Oh well.

Catfish2 wrote:
Maybe I'm too newschool, but I personally consider that to be bad practice in both C and C++.

I don't see why. It's pretty obvious what it means. I am generally in favour of explicitness, but I don't think it matters in this case.

p.s. are you the original Catfish? If so, why the new account?
It's pretty obvious what it means. I am generally in favour of explicitness, but I don't think it matters in this case.

... in this case, the check is as useless as it is for delete.
In other cases, without such a rich context, an "explicit" check would at least make it obvious what's a pointer and what isn't.
In other cases, without such a rich context, an "explicit" check would at least make it obvious what's a pointer and what isn't.

If you don't know whether what is being checked is a pointer or a boolean, then you likely named it poorly.
What do you do in the standard case when you have a smart pointer instead of a raw pointer?
Do you seriously advocate writing
if (ptr.get()!=nullptr)
instead of
if (ptr)
?
Do you seriously advocate writing
if (ptr.get()!=nullptr)
instead of
if (ptr)
?

Looks like C++03's deprecated auto_ptr? Give me a cookie.

#include <iostream>
#include <memory>

int main()
{
    std::unique_ptr<int> spi(nullptr);

if (spi == nullptr)
        std::cout << "Works." << std::endl;
}
Works.
What's that supposed to show?
What's that supposed to show?
1) The code is supposed to show that C++11 provides overloaded operators for smart pointers to be compared to among other things nullptr.

2) The reference to std::auto_ptr being deprecated is supposed to remind Athar that std::auto_ptr is deprecated and probably with good reason as his example hints how limited it is if you need to retrieve a bare pointer but he also compared it to nullptr which is from C++11 and not C++03 so I wanted to remind him that std::auto_ptr is deprecated and in C++11 you also have the overloaded operators which allow you to directly compare a smart pointer to nullptr.

I sense a bit of hostility. All I'm saying is, I personally consider it to be good practice to usually compare things to values from their own domain of values (e.g. 0, NULL, nullptr) so as to get a "real" boolean expression. Bare bool variables should be excepted from this. Comparing to true or false would be silly.

For me, it's the same principle why I don't usually do things like if (!size).
I am aware that generally the == nullptr is redundant. However, it does make it a lot easier to find bugs and read the code, especially considering how I use null pointers.

I do use null pointers as dummies quite often in my code, a large reason being to avoid using unnecessary memory when a user wishes not to use a certain feature (i.e. a sound generator). I know I could create dummy classes and that it would probably be a bit more kosher, but... it seems like a bit of a waste to me. :/

EDIT @Moschops: You can still clone it. And... what chrisname said. :)

-Albatross
Last edited on
@Catfish2,
I didn't mean to come off as hostile, it was a genuine question, not rhetorical.
I'd been thinking about replacing the graphics for most of the UI elements with graphics that are a little bit less... dull. That little bit of shininess does draw attention and makes the program a bit nicer to look at.

Does anyone have any comments/objections?
http://tinypic.com/r/24w9hs1/6

-Albatross
Last edited on
Pages: 123