• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Ever look back at your budding programmi

Ever look back at your budding programming days?

I was just sitting here and thinking about last year (first year at my current university) and the counselor asked how much programming experience. He asked me a series of questions about data types, functions, control flow, pretty basic stuff. Well, he asked me if I knew was an array was, and at the time I knew what it was, yea, but that was about it. Hadn't really ever used one for anything. Pointers were pretty much Chinese to me. My programming ability was really really basic.

And now, here I am at least familiar with most parts of this language (C++), using features that I wouldn't have even dreamed of just a year ago. Tackling a relatively large project, reading all sorts of docs, learning about (in my opinion) some complicated matters. Granted, I'm sure in another year those won't be complicated at all either.

I don't know, just a thought. I just kind of realized that in less than a years time, my programming ability has increased 100 fold. Anyone else able to remember back when they got started? Same feelings?
I only recently started out, about a month ago, really putting my head to it. Already I understand what you mean. It's amazing how rapid one can learn such abstract things in such a short time.

I love how every project I open, I realize how limitless the possibilities are.
For me that freedom is everything, it is what drives me.
And you know what they say about a driven man... They are worth two.
closed account (zb0S216C)
I remember those days as if they just past. The first time I got a program to run, I was ecstatic, fascinated, and burning for more. Of course, the program was only "Hello, World!", but back then, I almost felt powerful because nobody knew how to program (and they still don't) where I lived/live.

I remember when I had a really difficult time with pointers, arrays, and functions. Sometimes, I doubt my abilities, so I stop, look back, and realise just how far I've come to get to where I am now - *POOF* Motivation!

Wazzak
Last edited on
I remember back when I was first learning C (ages ago) and compiler's weren't very careful about error diagnostics?

I had written something and the compiler kept spitting it back at me about all kinds of random stuff. It took me a week to figure out that I had just misplaced a closing curly-brace. (This was my second or third effort using C, so I didn't know much anything about tools like lint -- remember that? -- or other validation options.)
Sometimes, I doubt my abilities, so I stop, look back, and realise just how far I've come to get to where I am now

This is actually what sparked my thought here. I was just reading about copy control because I have no experience with it, and I was thinking "Man, this is some complicated stuff. So when do I use a copy constructor and when do I not??" Then I just sat back and realized that's been less than a year when I barely knew how to use arrays and pointers.

Man, this is some complicated stuff. So when do I use a copy constructor and when do I not??

It's good to implement one pretty much whenever your class has a pointer or reference member as a safeguard, even if you end up passing all of your objects of that class by reference anyways. Never hurts to be safe.

As for your question (well, the other question), yes. I recently had to use an old computer of mine and when I was browsing through some of the files on it, I found a program I had written a long time ago that did my math homework for me. I'm sad to say I wrote it: the logic of it made no sense, and I didn't realize you could directly assign pointers to each other directly so I thought I could be really clever and say ptr1 = &(*ptr2), *facepalm*.

Well, it's nice to know that you've made progress, I guess.
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
It's been quite a while (8-10 years?) since I struggled to get programs that I wrote to work properly.

It's been just a few years since I started writing library code that's actually worth reusing. Seems like it took me 5 years to get to the point where I could design a semi-flawless library project from the ground up.
Sometimes I still feel like I'm at the budding programmer stage when I'm learning something new.
I used to write really long functions, create new types only when I absolutely needed to, and make heavy use of std::pairs. When I go back to that code, I laugh at those days and think how silly I was.

-Albatross
Last edited on
When I go back to that code, I laugh at those days and think how silly I was.

A better question might be what do you do in your code today that you think you might laugh at in five years? I've got some candidates in my code.
haha I've only got a year and a half under my belt. I remember doing stupid stuff like int main();
lol yeah it is funny how that works though
I think I would take the cake when it comes to having written laughable code.

I didn't read past the control statement chapter in the tutorial before I went at it for weeks writing all kinds of programs. I put all of my programs together under a menu. It had a quiz, a few math programs, a sampler of a sort using openAL and recorded bass guitar notes, and sort of an arcade style hang man variation.

The whole thing was almost 5 thousand lines long. I didn't write a single class, struct, or even function. Literally everything was in the main function! In fact I didn't even know what a function was!

I used this to change console colors, and I had all kinds of color incorporated into the program. I must have typed/copies and pasted variations of the below hundreds and hundreds of times.

SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4, FOREGROUND_RED | FOREGROUND_GREEN | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);

Sadly my program would freeze up on the vista computers at school after adding a menu with looping text animation, so I attempted to find and replace my code to help me remove it, and the compiler saved my file automatically even thought the program didn't even compile, and I had made a practically unfixable mess. So now I have the working .exe of the latest version, but only the working source code of a much earlier version.

Last edited on
I started 2-3 years ago at 16 and I'm still in them as I have just started University. I am no where near done with my budding programming days as its just impossible to learn everything. The whole theory of 10 years to master a craft.
@iseeplusplus that must have been hell to debug. The longest program I've had in main would be about 1k lines long just for the hell of proceduralism pure c++ and directX code. Writing such long code teaches an appreciation for functions, structs, and oop.
The longest program I've had in main would be about 1k lines long.

A lot of the length came from just the code to change console colors. Here are a few snippets just to show how nuts I was.

SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,BACKGROUND_RED );
cout<< "              "; 
SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,BACKGROUND_RED |BACKGROUND_INTENSITY |BACKGROUND_GREEN |BACKGROUND_BLUE);
cout << "||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||"<< endl;
cout<< "              ";
SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,BACKGROUND_RED |BACKGROUND_INTENSITY |BACKGROUND_GREEN |BACKGROUND_BLUE);
cout << "||WWW||WWW||WWW||ooooooooo||RRRRRRRR|||||DDDD|||||||"<< endl;
cout<< "              "; 
cout << "||WWW||WWW||WWW||ooooooooo||RRRRRRRRR||||DDDDDD|||||"<< endl;
cout<< "              "; 
cout << "||WWW||WWW||WWW||ooo|||ooo||RRR||||RRR|||DDD|DDD||||"<< endl;
cout<< "              "; 
cout << "||WWW||WWW||WWW||ooo|||ooo||RRR||||RRR|||DDD||DDD|||"<< endl;
cout<< "              "; 
cout << "||WWW||WWW||WWW||ooo|||ooo||RRR||||RRR|||DDD|||DDD||"<< endl;
cout<< "              "; 
cout << "||WWW||WWW||WWW||ooo|||ooo||RRRRRRRRRR|||DDD|||DDD||"<< endl;
cout<< "              "; 
cout << "||WWW||WWW||WWW||ooo|||ooo||RRRRRRRR|||||DDD|||DDD||"<< endl;
cout<< "              ";
cout << "||WWW||WWW||WWW||ooo|||ooo||RRR|||RRR||||DDD|||DDD||"<< endl;
cout<< "              ";
cout<< "              "; 
cout<< "              "; 
cout << "||WWW||WWW||WWW||ooo|||ooo||RRR|||||RRR||DDD||DDD|||"<< endl;
cout<< "              "; 
cout << "||WWWWWWWWWWWWW||ooooooooo||RRR|||||RRR||DDDDDDDD|||"<< endl;
cout<< "              "; 
cout << "||WWWWWWWWWWWWW||ooooooooo||RRR|||||RRR||DDDDDDD||||"<< endl;
cout<< "              "; 
cout << "||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||"<< endl;
Last edited on
  cout << "    ";
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  FOREGROUND_GREEN |FOREGROUND_INTENSITY |FOREGROUND_BLUE | FOREGROUND_RED|FOREGROUND_BLUE |BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_GREEN);
  cout << " [";
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4, BACKGROUND_BLUE| BACKGROUND_GREEN);
  cout << " 1 "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  FOREGROUND_GREEN |FOREGROUND_INTENSITY |FOREGROUND_BLUE | FOREGROUND_RED|FOREGROUND_BLUE |BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_GREEN);
  cout << "] hint "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors3, FOREGROUND_GREEN | BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);   
  cout << " " << hintn;cout << "   ";
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  FOREGROUND_GREEN |FOREGROUND_INTENSITY |FOREGROUND_BLUE | FOREGROUND_RED|FOREGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_GREEN);
  cout << " ["; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4, BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_GREEN);
  cout << " 2 "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  FOREGROUND_GREEN |FOREGROUND_INTENSITY |FOREGROUND_BLUE | FOREGROUND_RED|FOREGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_BLUE| BACKGROUND_GREEN );
  cout << "] reveal a character "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors3, FOREGROUND_GREEN | BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);   
  cout  << " " << reveal1;
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4, BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_GREEN );
  cout << endl << endl;
  cout << "    "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  FOREGROUND_GREEN |FOREGROUND_INTENSITY |FOREGROUND_BLUE | FOREGROUND_RED);
  cout << " SCORE CHART ";

SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors3,  BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);     //add #14 and think about scoring
  cout << endl << endl;
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);
  cout << endl;
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN); cout  << "    2:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+1500    ";
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "3:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+900     ";
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "4:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+300     ";
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "5:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+150     ";
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "6:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+85      "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "7:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+70      ";
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "8:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << ":+45    "; 
   cout << endl << endl;
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "    9:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+35      "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "10:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+30     "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "11:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+25     "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "12:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+20"; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "     13:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+10     "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "14:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+5      "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "15:"; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_BLUE  | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);cout << "+2     ";
  cout << endl << endl << "    ";
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  FOREGROUND_GREEN |FOREGROUND_INTENSITY |FOREGROUND_BLUE | FOREGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_GREEN );
  cout << " How many strikes? "; SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors3,  BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);
   cout << "                                            "; 
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,  FOREGROUND_GREEN |FOREGROUND_INTENSITY |FOREGROUND_BLUE | FOREGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_RED );
  cout << " quit[0] "; 
   SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors3,  BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_GREEN);
Last edited on
 while (time>diff && guess[0]=='$') {
  if(_kbhit()) guess[0]=_getch();
  diff=clock()-tick;
  //couting round clock
  rounddiff=clock()-roundclock;  //engage to apply roundclock and bonus indicators
  SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4,FOREGROUND_RED | FOREGROUND_GREEN | BACKGROUND_RED | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY |BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_GREEN);

if (rounddiff==10 && xoutr[0]=='1') {cout << "1  "; xoutr[0]='0';
  CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO coninfo; HANDLE hConsole = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE); GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo(hConsole, &coninfo); coninfo.dwCursorPosition.Y += 1; SetConsoleCursorPosition(hConsole, coninfo.dwCursorPosition);
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==1000 && xoutr[1]=='1') {cout << "2  ";  xoutr[1]='0';
  CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO coninfo; HANDLE hConsole = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE); GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo(hConsole, &coninfo); coninfo.dwCursorPosition.Y += 1; SetConsoleCursorPosition(hConsole, coninfo.dwCursorPosition);
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==2000 && xoutr[2]=='1') {cout << "3  "; xoutr[2]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==3000 && xoutr[3]=='1') {cout << "4  "; xoutr[3]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==4000 && xoutr[4]=='1') {cout << "5  "; xoutr[4]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==5000 && xoutr[5]=='1') {cout << "6  "; xoutr[5]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==6000 && xoutr[6]=='1') {cout << "7  "; xoutr[6]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==7000 && xoutr[7]=='1') {cout << "8  "; xoutr[7]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==8000 && xoutr[8]=='1') {cout << "9  "; xoutr[8]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==9000 && xoutr[9]=='1') {cout << "10 "; xoutr[9]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

SetConsoleTextAttribute(colors4, FOREGROUND_GREEN |BACKGROUND_BLUE | BACKGROUND_GREEN |  BACKGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_RED);

if (rounddiff==10000 && xoutr[10]=='1') {cout << "11 "; xoutr[10]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==11000 && xoutr[11]=='1') {cout << "12 "; xoutr[11]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==12000 && xoutr[12]=='1') {cout << "13 "; xoutr[12]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==13000 && xoutr[13]=='1') {cout << "14 "; xoutr[13]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

if (rounddiff==14000 && xoutr[14]=='1') {cout << "15 "; xoutr[14]='0';
  printf("\b\b\b");}

Last edited on
Dear God, he is trying to kill us ;). lol
Great Scott. I would cry if I ever had to actually deal with that.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.