Take how much times to get familiar with a new language and framework

I am a C++ programmer learning c++ with two years, Our boss planning to
invest on the android app, and I am one of the programmer who will shift to the
android team.

Now I have a problem, how many times do I need to take familiar with java and
the android framework?My boss want me to develop two small apps in two months,
fine tune the source codes of android to make the app have better performance
if needed.

I spend three days to study the basic part of java,it is pretty easy to handle, but the advance programming technique like reflection and other's advances stuff is another issues, the GC of java also make me feel uneasy to
accept, I don't know when and how would the VM take care of those resources,
something like weak reference and the "memory leak" issue also make my head dizzy.

Java is not as easy as those advertisements say, it is a pretty big and
complicated language, I don't have any confident to become a good java
programmer in 2 months, besides, there are a big framework of android
need to study too.

Boss : "Since you know C++ I think java would be very easy to you, develop
android apps are just a piece of cake to you, I heard that the
android are developed by C++, you should be able to understand the
source codes of android very quickly".

Dude, I don't think I could make it in two months, how could I learn java and
android framework and know how to tune the source codes of android in two
months?Could you give me any advice or I should just give up because I am not
the man the boss asking?

Thank you very much.
Last edited on
This is how I see it. You were hired as a C++ programmer. Your boss suddenly decided on his own to start a new project and, rather than hire new people experienced in the technology, reassigned some of his employees. Additionally, he gave you a task with a possibly unreasonable deadline without consulting with you.
Go at it at your own pace and don't feel pressured to rush through it. If you can't make the deadline, it's not your responsibility because you weren't asked for your opinion.
Whether two months is enough time really depends on how much time you can devote to picking up java and android. If the app is fairly simple it could be doable. I wrote a simple android app with a classmate both of us with little java experience and none with android. It was a simple unit conversion tool and took a few months with minimal time devoted to it. Biggest issues I had were all dealing with the UI. I picked up a book called hello android, it walks you through building a sudoku app. I wouldn't call it an excellent book, but was good and clear enough to get me on the right track.
Last edited on
The project already run several months, but there are many stuffs leave the team
and we are running out of resource.The biggest problem is not the app itself, even
I only know some basic of java, I could be able to develop one or two simple
apps, but the hardest part is I have to tune the source codes of android and fix the
bugs of the the android source codes(many of them are tuned by those ex
employees), the worst thing is the source codes are pretty unstable, always crash,
and none of us know what is going on.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.