• Forum
  • Lounge
  • When will we have an electronic model of

When will we have an electronic model of the human brain?

Aren't neurons kind of like transistors? No? Maybe a little? I don't really have any knowledge of how electronics work so it's a naive thought. Will the advancement in neurobiology ever lead to advancement in AI?
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
I don't think the brain has been fully understood yet, so I'd wager a few years yet.

dem7w2 wrote:
"Will the advancement in neurobiology ever lead to advancement in AI?"

You'd be waiting a while for that. Besides, something that hasn't got any knowledge of emotion can be risky; AI with emotions is just as risky. Granting AI with human emotions is stupid, a break through, maybe, but safe? No.

I don't understand the reason behind re-creating the human with AI; I'm not talking game AI here. A bit dumb, really. What would they do with the androids when they behave like humans? Give them jobs? I doubt that to the full extent.

Wazzak
I don't understand the reason behind re-creating the human with AI

For a long time in human history man has sought to create artificial life. This is just an extension thereof.

I've always had the fantasy of 'giving life to the machine.' It's kind of what drove me to A.I. research.
I don't understand the reason behind re-creating the human with AI

Well if we got that far, we could focus on pushing the processor speed to 100x or 1000x to that of the human brain. The application would be the most interesting in the field of research and invention. It would also be very profitable for corporations as a programmer. It could make a website in a few minutes or an MMORPG in a couple of days.
Last edited on
@xander337
Does your research satisfy your initial drive at all? Just curious. I'm a student.
@dem7w2: if we created AI for the real-world that behaved just like a human, what use would we have with it? The military? Too expensive. The police force? Too expensive. Jobs? That would cause people to lose their jobs, and lots of people will be pissed-off. Precision engineering or surgery? Why simulate all the human emotions in that case?

I just don't see a reasonable excuse to put human AI to real-world use.

Wazzak
Last edited on
Aren't neurons kind of like transistors? No?

Nope. The brain is very very complex, and it's not only about neurons. Neural networks projects/concepts/stuff are just at the beginning. It will take a LONG time before we get somewhere with proper brain simulation.
Last edited on
much of what we "know" is theory. the brain is a black box much like trig functions unless you know advanced calc,
I don't understand the reason behind re-creating the human with AI;

That's the natural evolution of technology.
We don't really need the iPhone, but we created it anyway.
In the future we will have (maybe) artificial brains, even if we don't need it.
You can investigate what we really need and what we don't need, the reality is that the entire technology is something that's not necessary: it's just what happened. We happened to have a powerful brain and so we created technology, cities, and so on.
Some jobs to be done by artificial human will surely be found. You don't have to ask yourself if it will be really useful, just if it's possible. If it is, it will be done.
@dem7w2: I'm actually still a student, but A.I research is my end goal and it's what I'm tailoring my course load to get to. I have done a fair bit of work on my own, nothing substantial and nothing that I would expect to contribute anything to the field. Right now I'm working on a chat bot that uses posts on forums like these as its input for learning. So far my experiments like these have left me satisfied but still craving more :)
@xander337: That's interesting! Just don't use 4chan. Shudder.
Hah, yea. My roommates and friends have a pool going on how long it'll take before it becomes a troll. I promised not botch it to favor any one person as long as I get a cut from the winner no matter who it is :P
Well, I guess that makes me a scientist and not a science advocate.
Same. I like to think about and talk about the benefits of various aspects of science, but the real answer to "Why are you doing this?" is "because we can" or "because it's cool".
read the Footprints of God. Its not really a religous book, it plays a minor role, but its a sci fi based on this

edit: i dont have the book on me so it might be footsteps
Last edited on
I just don't see a reasonable excuse to put human AI to real-world use

An army. A robot army.
@ResidentBiscuit: Like I said, just think how expensive it would be to manufacture an army of androids. 1 EMP bomb, and your army is screwed.

Wazzak
I think there's actually a way to shield against EMPs
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.